What are some expensive fw fish? - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 12-30-2012, 04:55 AM   #46
Msheresy
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I purchased all 6 at my Lfs and the two known females died. Not sure why as water parameters are perfect. Fingers crossed that a 3rd is a female and not an under developed male. They ordered more for me and got 12 stupid males.....

I see what your saying about a mated pair though. I need more females now but someone else at the store is going to the whole seller and said he would "try" to pick some out for me but I'm not sure he knows what he's looking for. :-(

Yours are very pretty, btw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Msheresy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 05:09 AM   #47
MiniFishRoom
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msheresy View Post
I purchased all 6 at my Lfs and the two known females died. Not sure why as water parameters are perfect. Fingers crossed that a 3rd is a female and not an under developed male. They ordered more for me and got 12 stupid males.....

I see what your saying about a mated pair though. I need more females now but someone else at the store is going to the whole seller and said he would "try" to pick some out for me but I'm not sure he knows what he's looking for. :-(

Yours are very pretty, btw.

Thanks for the comment.

I think your females probably died because you have too many males trying to mate with them. If you're able to get another female I suggest keeping just 1 male to 1 female. 2 female to 1 male is always better though.
It could also just be that they are young males and got harassed to death because the other males have already claimed their territory and there was no more territory for them to claim.

I only aquired my female Scarlet Badis by buying over 20+ "Pale" female looking Scarlet Badis at one time at my local fish store. Out of that whole purchase I was only able to get 2 females. That just goes to show how rare the females are in the trade.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:16 AM   #48
Msheresy
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniFishRoom View Post
Thanks for the comment.

I think your females probably died because you have too many males trying to mate with them. If you're able to get another female I suggest keeping just 1 male to 1 female. 2 female to 1 male is always better though.
It could also just be that they are young males and got harassed to death because the other males have already claimed their territory and there was no more territory for them to claim.

I only aquired my female Scarlet Badis by buying over 20+ pale Scarlet Badis at one time at my local fish store. Out of that whole purchase I was only able to get 2 females. That just goes to show how rare the females are in the trade.
I have 4 total now. 3 males for sure + 1 I think(hope) is a female. The two that died were def females unfortunately. Maybe I should move out two of my males.....

They are with RCS and black neons which I hate. They are stupid mindless fish with no personality.

Sorry neon lovers, I like fish that come to the front of the tank or don't go hide in the plants when I come around. It's a school of 13 but they are still dumb and I should get rid of them. Maybe I'll throw them in with my wild caught Cenote 'buho' jack dempseys.

Just kidding.

Msheresy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:30 PM   #49
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Blue eyed pleco. My buddy has a buyer for his 16" for $900-
I've seen a lot of the juvie ones around 4" go for $500-

Old 01-31-2013, 09:34 PM   #50
CPDzeke
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Definitely arrowanas.
ADA Gentleman #1
Treeless Mountain V3
CPDzeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:51 AM   #51
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikO View Post
Zebra plecos are not allowed to be imported into Hawaii.
Just curious where you read/heard that. I believe that is incorrect. I know of a store that imports and sells them
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #52
ErikO
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/home/admin-rules/

From my discussions with the Hawaii Dept. of Ag., they don't recognize/allow the L numbers to be imported.

I did send a email to the shop that was advertising the L046 and asked if the law had changed regarding them being imported. He replied that the L046 were OK. I don't for sure if he is correct.
ErikO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:10 AM   #53
Rush3737
Planted Tank Obsessed

Expensive... but that Pleco is freaking awesome!
Rush3737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:29 AM   #54
Dx3Bash
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush3737 View Post
Expensive... but that Pleco is freaking awesome!
Agreed!
Old 02-06-2013, 03:32 AM   #55
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikO View Post
http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/home/admin-rules/

From my discussions with the Hawaii Dept. of Ag., they don't recognize/allow the L numbers to be imported.

I did send a email to the shop that was advertising the L046 and asked if the law had changed regarding them being imported. He replied that the L046 were OK. I don't for sure if he is correct.
http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/pi/files/2012/12/AR-71C1.pdf

List of approved animals, Page 51, top of page:
Hypancistrus zebra

Phew! I was worried for a sec, such an awesome fish, glad we can get them.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:44 AM   #56
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

the problem you will run into with alot of fish is hawaii has very strict import laws and they dont alow much to come in fish or shrimp wise. so about the only way you will get alot of these fish is to spend alot in permits and pray they make it though customs fast enough they dont die. however there are some awsome angels and guppys from a breeder in hawaii. he used to sale on aquabid but have not looked for his auctions lately. i myself dont go for really expensive but try to get fish not alot of people keep. i love my blue fin killie fish ( a us native) my hillstream loaches, and i love my ken kennedy phillipine blue x platinum pearl scale angels that have started laying eggs. the parents to my angels came from ken kennedy himself so i have some awsome linage on my fish and they are so pretty.
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #57
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

To OP, did you mention this was your first tank? If so, my advice is to buy cheap fish until you figure out how to keep them alive. Although fishkeeping isnt hard persay, it can come with a learning curve. Ots one thing to lose a $1 fish, quite another if he was $100.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:43 AM   #58
Jeffww
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwheeler91 View Post
To OP, did you mention this was your first tank? If so, my advice is to buy cheap fish until you figure out how to keep them alive. Although fishkeeping isnt hard persay, it can come with a learning curve. Ots one thing to lose a $1 fish, quite another if he was $100.

Agreed. I've been keeping fish for around 10 years and only recently have I gotten the experience and courage to shell out for more expensive and rarer catfish.
Jeffww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:29 AM   #59
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

also depends on how lazy you want to be with water changes
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:24 AM   #60
Jeffww
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbomb View Post
I really just want to know whats out there for choices. Not really trying to focus on just a 20 gallon tank. but its what I have currently. I really just wanted to know what kind of fish out there that people would be willing to spend some bucks on. For any tank size.
Flowerhorns, arrowana, koi, and goldfish are the top 4 most expensive FW fish I know of. Monster fish can sell for a good penny as well. However if you're in it for the money these fish are very costly to breed. The catfish I collect that are "expensive" are impossible to breed/exceedingly difficult. I personally only spend a lot on a fish if I think its behavior or physiology or native habitat is interesting to me. Pick what you want based on YOUR OWN preferences, not how much it costs. The price of fish is normally based on rarity more than anything else.
Jeffww is offline   Reply With Quote