What can I drop inside a tank to kill all invertebrates? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 12-30-2012, 01:23 AM   #16
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (97/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
Hedge,
Algaefix kills all inverts while not disturbing the tank cycle. Its also safe for fish.
Great, thanks for the suggestion. I hope I can find it at Petco tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
But wouldn't killing all the shrimp and snails cause a colossal ammonia spike where you'd have to pull the endlers out anyway?
I'll do some water changes and suck the dead ones out with a hose. It's still much easier than trying to catch all the shrimp/scuds. I actually think it's impossible unless I'd rip out all the moss.
hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 01:24 AM   #17
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsword View Post
It would make way more sense to trap them. You'll end up with an ammonia spike plus you'll have to find all the dead things in the moss.
Not sure if you've ever had scuds but they are impossible to get rid of....I'm sure others can chime in.

The only way to get them out is to tear down the tank or nuke it with something that kills them.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:25 AM   #18
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Plug in your toaster, start it up and toss it in.

Sorry, couldn't resist
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:37 AM   #19
Beer
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'd try to trap as many of the snails and shrimp as possible before killing them off. The ammonia spike from them decaying, if there are as many as you are saying, would cause issues for the Endlers.
The Endlers should take care of the scuds and baby shrimp.
I could swing by on my way from Philly later in the week and net/trap most of the shrimp and haul them away for you ;D
I used a few pennies in a 2 gallon bucket to rid plants of the snails I couldn't find before transferring them to my tank. Wasn't a couple hour deal, but it worked. I don't see the pipe being an issue. Soak it in hot vinegar to clean it, then give it a cold water rinse and you should be fine.

But if you plan mass genocide, I would seriously consider placing the Endlers in another container and doing water changes daily or every other day. If you have filter media in the container (even with no circulation), every other day should be okay. Just keep it bare bottom and vac the bottom to minimize ammonia spikes. Small cheap plastic containers, paint mixing containers ($1-$2), will work temporarily. I would vacuum the tank as well as you can every couple of days to remove as many bodies and decaying matter as you can until everything stabilizes before putting the Endlers back in.

I will come over with a bucket and remove as many shrimp and snails as possible. I'm heading to Philly tomorrow and coming back sometime next week, my schedule is a little flexible.
Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:22 AM   #20
plamski
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)

H2o2 3-4 ml/gal will "fix" everything + bacteria.
plamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:59 AM   #21
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Nothing reliably kills inverts while leaving plants and fish untouched. This is especially true when that's what you want to happen.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:11 AM   #22
Dany08fa
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Trap as much as you can then algae fix seems to be the solution. You said you had all day.... Lol
Dany08fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:15 AM   #23
Rob in Puyallup
Opae Ula Crazed.

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
But wouldn't killing all the shrimp and snails cause a colossal ammonia spike where you'd have to pull the endlers out anyway?
Exactly what I was thinking, Jaime. Doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2
Rob in Puyallup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:23 AM   #24
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

ive seen "had a snail" and its a copper med but when i tried it it only killed ramshorns and not the "pond" snails. what about a loach to eat the snails/shrimp
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:39 AM   #25
R.sok
Planted Tank Obsessed

Take out the fish & use a stun gun
R.sok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:48 AM   #26
angelsword
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge_fund View Post
Not sure if you've ever had scuds but they are impossible to get rid of....I'm sure others can chime in.

The only way to get them out is to tear down the tank or nuke it with something that kills them.
True, I've seen pictures and they look horrifying. I might throw out the whole tank lol
Old 12-30-2012, 04:08 AM   #27
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.sok View Post
Take out the fish & use a stun gun
Remove your filters/heaters first.. but this might be the smartest idea.. I've tazed myself.. not that bad.. prolly won't kill much... If you're grounded and feeling frisky, plug some severed wires into a grounded circuit breaker and put the + and - in either end of the tank. It should bubble and realease hydrogen and oxygen gas on either lead if I remember 7th grade science class correctly.

Don't tell game and parks.. electro-fishing is illegal.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:30 AM   #28
tunatime
Algae Grower

Just put fish that eat shimp it will be fun to watch and the shimp will keep the fish will feed
tunatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:54 AM   #29
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (175/100%)

Lol, it doesn't seem like anyone besides hedge and i have dealt with scuds before. These guys are like to cockroaches of the shrimp world. Netted and even scooped up all the gravel in a tank and still have nearly a hundred in the bare bottom tank two weeks later. I refused to do a tank teardown due to a CBS so near to term.

You all my be after the shrimp in the tank but you are playing with fire trying to net them in a scud infested tank. Adult scuds will outrun most fish so don't think that is a viable fall back plan. The only way fish could be effective is you place a betta, (plakats make proficient hunters due to their short fins) in a 2.5 gallon tank. Anything larger would give the fish a run for their money and give up. Various small cichlids may work but again the adults burrow quicker than anything so a sandy substrate would be an alternative. Just fair warning as so many people are so quick to jump on the idea of netting. Just the accidental two or three that hitchhike into you tank will provide over a hundred scuds in a few short weeks.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:21 AM   #30
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
Lol, it doesn't seem like anyone besides hedge and i have dealt with scuds before. These guys are like to cockroaches of the shrimp world. Netted and even scooped up all the gravel in a tank and still have nearly a hundred in the bare bottom tank two weeks later. I refused to do a tank teardown due to a CBS so near to term.

You all my be after the shrimp in the tank but you are playing with fire trying to net them in a scud infested tank. Adult scuds will outrun most fish so don't think that is a viable fall back plan. The only way fish could be effective is you place a betta, (plakats make proficient hunters due to their short fins) in a 2.5 gallon tank. Anything larger would give the fish a run for their money and give up. Various small cichlids may work but again the adults burrow quicker than anything so a sandy substrate would be an alternative. Just fair warning as so many people are so quick to jump on the idea of netting. Just the accidental two or three that hitchhike into you tank will provide over a hundred scuds in a few short weeks.
Good post.

To add:
Scuds will also eat certain types of mosses to the point that only little fiber twigs are left. They don't touch my fissidens nor Christmas moss but they will devour my Singapore moss.

Heck, even if I tore down this tank completely, I would probably have to buy everything brand new including gravel. Scuds are impossible to eliminate when shrimp/plants are present. The only way to get them out is to nuke the tank with something that kills inverts. I once had 10 adult swordtails in a 15 gallon tank with just ecocomplete and floating plants. Not other objects nor plants were on the bottom...just the ecocomplete. Guess what? I had to tear this tank down since the swordtails couldn't solve the scud problem. If a fish was chasing a scud, it would just bury itself in the substrate. I tore the tank down and threw out the gravel with the fish tank.

I am inclined to believe that scuds would survive a real nuclear blast. There would at least be a few survivors for sure.