Need Shrimp Identified [Pic Heavy]
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #31
JEden8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjinkzd View Post
I wouldn't rock the boat if they are doing well.

When not doing well, they get very inactive and stop picking at plants/food
I've only been seeing them closer to night when the lights go out/feeding time. Sometimes they are out still in the morning before the lights come on as well. Normally I only see 2 of them out at night but last night I saw 4 of the 5 remaining shrimps. They go over to where the food is and start scavenging with the cherry shrimp. Before I threw the food in the tank they were just foraging around by themselves. I tested the water parameters again this morning and this is where I'm at:

pH: 7.4
Ammonia: .25 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
KH: 4-5
GH: 10

I've got a 10 gallon tank setup that is currently cycling to potentially house them but if they are doing well in that tank then I'll end up setting it up for some other shrimp. Here are the parameters before I used your calculator for adding baking soda:

pH: 7.4
Ammonia: .25 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
KH: 3
GH: 9

We shall see how everything goes with them in the 27 gallon with the cherry shrimp. If they start appearing to become sickly then I'll end up moving them over to that tank to attempt to keep them alive. Thanks again for all of your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post
yepper. If you have some that have adapted to different conditions than what other people have, you may "tip the ship" by messin' around too much with parameters.

On the other hand, sometimes to get them to breed you need to try some different things. So really, it's half a dozen of one, half a dozen of another. (Jeesh- how many cliches can I put in this post!?)
HAHA I contacted my LFS to have him get the water parameters and water change frequency that his breeder has successfully breed these shrimp so that I can go off of what they are doing since it has worked for these shrimp.