Question regarding spraybar/c02
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 12-29-2012, 04:51 AM   #1
R.sok
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Question regarding spraybar/c02

Keeping shrimp in a biocube is pretty tricky. I've had to put tiny prefilters over the inlet & had to do the same for the outlet. Problem with the outlet is simply flow..I've greatly had to reduce it because at full flow the inlet just couldn't keep up & water would overflow to the back. So I've had the outlet choked down pretty good for the past couple months, everything works fine but the tank overall doesn't get much flow with the outlet the way it is.

So Today I fabricated a custom spray bar that allows better flow through out the tank, hopefully eliminating dead spots. I run c02 & the spray bar is about 1 inch above the surface. Will I lose a lot of c02 with it being that high? is there a certain angle it should be set? Imagine this is the tank from front view [_]. I have the bar on the left side shooting water down
R.sok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

You will probably lose quite a bit of CO2 if your spray bar is 1 inch above the water surface and the water is splashing down.

Can you set the spray bar so that it is just at water level? That way, the water from the filter return is gently rippling the surface of the water; this is the ideal amount of surface agitation you want to have to prevent excessive CO2 off gas (diffusion).

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:34 AM   #3
R.sok
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
You will probably lose quite a bit of CO2 if your spray bar is 1 inch above the water surface and the water is splashing down.

Can you set the spray bar so that it is just at water level? That way, the water from the filter return is gently rippling the surface of the water; this is the ideal amount of surface agitation you want to have to prevent excessive CO2 off gas (diffusion).
I redid it so it is about 1/2 above the surface. I will go buy some adapters tomorrow so I can adjust the bar lower. With the holes drilled on the returns the streams are somewhat strong & usually the remedy to this would be bigger holes but that is not an option...too scared a shrimp might find his way in. So aside from me needing the spray bar right at the surface would the jet like stream affect anything?
Old 12-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
laqu
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

how are you attaching your spray bar?
laqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #5
R.sok
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by laqu View Post
how are you attaching your spray bar?

Here is a picture for reference. On the right side I plugged the outlet & used a hard plastic 90 degree bend that fits the bar snug across the left side of the tank
Old 12-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
blink
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Are you using the stock biocube pump?
You could try downgrading to a hydor or maxijet that gives lower flow, something in the 160 gph range perhaps.
blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #7
R.sok
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
Are you using the stock biocube pump?
You could try downgrading to a hydor or maxijet that gives lower flow, something in the 160 gph range perhaps.
No I'm using a different pump. (picture above isn't mine)
Old 12-30-2012, 01:40 AM   #8
R.sok
Planted Tank Obsessed

After some thought & looking at the spray bar operate while being above everything it didn't seem to move much water from the middle down, so I repositioned it to be inside the tank on the left side from the bottom to the top with the jets facing towards the front. Now I have the flow that I want all around the tank, my plants sway a little bit But I'm curious as to whether it is bad for the shrimp?

Blue represents how the spraybar is mounted
Old 12-30-2012, 02:20 AM   #9
veryzer
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post

Not trying to hijack, but I've been running a hagen mini just under the filter intake. The tiny little bubbles get sucked up and shot out through the spray bar below the surface (about 2"), creating gentle agitation. Still, I don't have good co2 concentration with at least 6 bps. If this isn't germane I'll start another thread.
veryzer is offline   Reply With Quote