aquariums and terrariums.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 12-28-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
pyronic

PTrader: (0/0%)

aquariums and terrariums.

I know that this posting may be one that is listed already not sure.

I have been thinking about making my own terrariums for various animals from spiders to reptiles Possibly also fish ( I know the tanks are called aquariums for fish. )

I'm looking for advice and help on making these things as well as advice on tools and devices that one can get cheap or make at home.

The research that I have done so far as led me to think that the best way to cut sheet glass would be with a diamond wet tile cutter. Any more information will be helpful.

Another thing I have been thinking about as well as considering is would bonsai's be a useful thing inside a terrarium for some thing like an arboreal spider. Any advice with this will also help in making a decision as well accomplishing this possible goal.
pyronic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 12:25 AM   #2
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

In pet stores glass boxes are sold for 2 purposes.
1) to be filled with water
2) NOT to be filled with water.

If you buy an aquarium it is securely made so it can hold the water and not leak. You could use these as terrariums. Look up Riparium, also. This is a half-filled tank, with plenty of 'land' as well as an area of water for fish.

If you buy a glass box sold as a reptile home do not trust it to hold water like an aquarium.
-----------------------------------------------
Making your own:
If you have a good source of glass you can probably make your own cheaper than buying them. Use silicone such as GE Silicone I for doors and windows or Dap (not Dap Plus). Another good choice is certain of the RTV types of silicone. Some silicones contain antifungal materials. Do not use these.

Practice cutting glass so you get a very clean, square, straight cut.

There are sites that have minimum glass thickness per size of aquarium. You really need to follow these minimums for aquariums, but can get by with thinner glass for dry habitats.

Small tanks can be made without a rim, but when you are just getting started I would highly recommend a rim for larger tanks.
-------------------------------------

Research each type of animal you want to keep. Some like climbing a lot and will do better in a taller habitat, with rough walls, perhaps cork, and branches or rocks to climb on. Then they climb out and escape. So make sure you have a very secure lid!
Some (especially fish) utilize horizontal space better, and will be best in longer tanks.
Some land animals need high humidity, so make sure you have a sealed lid to keep in the humid air.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 04:38 AM   #3
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
The research that I have done so far as led me to think that the best way to cut sheet glass would be with a diamond wet tile cutter
I wouldn't recommend this at all. Being a tile setter, I work with wet saws all the time. I can tell you that 95% of the time they don't cut square, also it can be very difficult to put a large piece of glass on the table and hold it there to cut it. I think the best way would be with cheap glass cutter, a decent tape measure, a framing square, and a straight edge, depending on sizes of the cuts you want to make.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #4
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

I'd suggest dumpster diving for old aquariums. Dis-assemple them and recycle the glass. This will give you free glass to learn on. Unlike wood you can not "trim" small cuts from glass. At 3/8" thick you need to be making at least 2" cuts.

Buy a good quality glass cutter, leather gloves, eye protection and lots of sand paper & emery cloth. Wear eye protection, Glass shards are an excellent way to destroy your eyes.

Don't buy glass until you've made a few tanks. Professionally cut & polished edge glass will cost as much or more than a pre made tank.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #5
pyronic

This dose help with what I'm looking in to doing. Granted still curios about the bonsais
pyronic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 03:54 AM   #6
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Bonsai are plants in containers. Usually growing very slowly.
Often, but not always they are species that can get by with reduced watering, and practically no fertilizer.

Depends on the requirements of the critter, if a plant in Bonsai would work in the habitat. The right species of plant will make a big difference, too.

Most juniper, pine and related plants will be good for a cool, dry habitat.
Maple, elm and most deciduous plants will be OK in a somewhat damper habitat, but may demand a dormant period, with quite cold temperatures.
Most of the plant species that hold their leaves year round are probably going to be better in the warmer or more humid habitats, but I am not sure if these are even used for Bonsai. You might have to make your own.
For the critters that live in the warmest, and driest habitats I do not think most traditional Bonsai plants will do OK in there. I would stick with the Cactus family, or similar succulent plants.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.