Cleaning questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 12-28-2012, 11:27 PM   #1
Kitsune_Gem
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Kitsune_Gem

Cleaning questions

So I followed the directions on the substrate I got in my tank and did not rinse it before adding it.. Worst mistake ever. I do gravel vacuum it, but that only does so much.

Is it possible to rinse the substrate out a bit, get it mostly clean, not all the way clean, put the tank back together, fish, shrimp, plants, and not have a complete recycle of the tank?

I've got neon tetras, sakura shrimp, amano shrimp, and a few oto cats.

Its a a little bigger than 10 gallons, but not much, the parameters are nitrate 0 nitrite 0 ammonia 0 ph roughly 7.0.

The tanks been set up for a year, I would not clean out the filter at all, even thought it needs a good cleaning.

I'd really like to get the gravel clean, its pretty icky, but if the only way to clean it is a lot of gravel vacuuming, I will have to make do.
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 11:44 PM   #2
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

What kind of substrate? How long has it been down for? Are you getting rid of mulm or something else? Mulm is good for your tank if that's what you're doing I'd keep it.

If you're still interested in cleaning the substrate, you could put something to section off 1/4 of the substrate, pull the substrate out, wash it, put it back in the tank, leaving the plastic or w/e you use to section it off in, wait for a week or so, then find another piece of plastic or w/e and section another 1/4 off, and repeat. That shouldn't cause too big of a cycle and shouldn't be too harmful. The only reason I say leave the plastic in, is that way you know exactly where you started and stopped.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:55 PM   #3
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

You can rotate what part of the substrate you are cleaning. Lets say you set up a rotation of cleaning 25% each week for 2 months. That would get it pretty clean, but reduce the disturbance to the livestock. You would not need to remove them. There would be no problem with the nitrogen cycle. Clean the filter a day or so after.

If you wanted to clean it all at once, and more thoroughly, you could, see this post:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=202188
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 12:01 AM   #4
Kitsune_Gem
Wannabe Guru

Its not mulm. Its just the black crap from the original substrate. I cant remember exactly what brand it was, but its one of the ones for planted tanks, that comes packaged in water.

I've already read over that thread. But I am still uneasy about cleaning it out.

Most of my water would go into a bucket, with the plants, fish, shrimp, and the filter, the filter would remain plugged in and running while on the bucket.

The tank would be about half full of old water at this point, I would stir up the gravel, getting most of the black dust crap into the water column, then empty it out. Refill half with aged water treated with prime, add back in the plants, drift wood, then slowly add in the old water fish, and the filter.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:15 AM   #5
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (441/100%)

If it came packed in liquid, it's Eco-Complete.

Diana's instructions are probably your best bet.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 12:18 AM   #6
Kitsune_Gem
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
If it came packed in liquid, it's Eco-Complete.

Diana's instructions are probably your best bet.

Yup that's it.

Never again.. I swear, when I get my hands on a new tank, I am rinsing any substrate I am putting into it.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:26 AM   #7
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
You can rotate what part of the substrate you are cleaning. Lets say you set up a rotation of cleaning 25% each week for 2 months. That would get it pretty clean, but reduce the disturbance to the livestock. You would not need to remove them. There would be no problem with the nitrogen cycle. Clean the filter a day or so after.
I'm confused isn't that pretty much what I said?
Old 12-29-2012, 01:38 AM   #8
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Every once in a while, someone seems to have an issue with this stuff, I've purchased 80 lbs now for a few different tanks and I cannot complain about it. Except it looks bad with natural gravel.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:53 AM   #9
Kitsune_Gem
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven p View Post
Every once in a while, someone seems to have an issue with this stuff, I've purchased 80 lbs now for a few different tanks and I cannot complain about it. Except it looks bad with natural gravel.

Don't get me wrong, I love the substrate, I love the look of it, the color (black). What I don't like was not listing to my gut telling me to rinse it before use.

My plants seem to love it to. Next time (hoping to get my hands on a use biocube, or a tank with a similar shape) I plan on rinsing it before hand.

Normally it wouldn't bug me to much, but with as many plants as I have, it's a bit hard to vacuum gravel all the black 'dust' like particles out of it.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:40 AM   #10
Kitsune_Gem
Wannabe Guru

Its all clean.. I wish I could have taken photos of what I got out of the tank, urgg, it was like a crap ton of fine black powder from the substrate. All the plants have been trimmed and re-planted.. My poor fish and shrimp are in a bucket waiting, I am considering retying the moss again, to get it into the right shape. My Sakura shrimp have gone nuts, I pulled about 100+ babies from the tank. I tested the water about 30 min after everything was up and running, no spike yet, though I am going to wait a bit before testing again. I am ready to change the water if something spikes
Old 12-31-2012, 04:31 AM   #11
laqu
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

i didn't rinse mine either... at first i thought that gross stuff i was getting was the 'good stuff' then i had to clean it REALLY WELL after an ick outbreak (2 gallon tank so who cares on the cycle) and hm... that tank didn't get that

i used a turkey baster on my BIG 6 GALLON (yea, yea) tank and got a bunch out.. prob some of the good icky stuff too...but not near the plants and honestly as i had to replant stuff it needed to be done...
laqu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 05:20 AM   #12
Kitsune_Gem
Wannabe Guru

I am happy to report, there where no losses, the fish and shrimp look happier than before. Levels are still nearly perfect. I am hoping to pick up a 29 gallon bio cube with a stand tomorrow. I plan on using it as another shrimp tank, maybe putting in some cardinals if I can find some for cheap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.