The Behemoth - which doesn't look so big anymore - lol - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-29-2012, 04:16 AM   #16
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (256/100%)

That is not.....going to hold.

Short of buying a new frame and replacing(a tough job), a U shaped brace, small, strong and discrete would be the best solution going front to back on the outside of the frame. The other option is to remove the top frame and eruo brace with 1/2 glass slats

I've repaired and removed all sorts of tank issues and been given free tanks like these for a long time, I've fixed each one, but.......they are PITA.

I could have worked PT at Burger King and made the difference for a nice new ADA tank for the same time and energy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 04:37 AM   #17
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

I admit that's my fear too, I think the stress on the patched overlap will be too strong to hold. A U shaped brace is one of the ideas I had and I think it's a good solution. Relatively inexpensive too, compared to the cost of a new setup without issues. - I will still be calling the fabrication shop to inquire about one, that would put my mind at ease completely because there will be no joints, adhesive, etc to fail. I want to sleep at night, not half listen constantly for a pop or a crack! I admit Euro bracing gives me the heebie-jeebies, even though I have seen the tanks here done like that and I know they hold. I certainly wouldn't try it myself on a 125, I'm not skilled enough.

However, tanks must be cheaper where you live. I cannot work PT at a minimum wage Burger King and make enough $$ to buy a new 125, stand, canister, lights, heaters etc. I know this for a fact because I work FT at Walmart, and I still can't afford that. I certainly don't have the energy to work two jobs, I applaud those that do. Regardless of the cost to repair the rim, I still think I got a deal for $75.00. (I may simply leave the clamp on until I get the metal U brace to slide over the outside of the rim- the clamp doesn't bother me and it's worked fine for 7 months now)
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:53 AM   #18
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

OK read the thread finally LOL
What did you decide to do on the center brace?
Asking because I fixed a smaller tank with SS wire and maybe can offer aid if it's still needed.
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #19
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

Hi there wkndracer!

I haven't done a thing about the ss brace yet. Spare finances just haven't been there, and Walmart cuts hours in January too. I'm taking Tom's advice and I'm not going to attempt to epoxy the T brace on, but wait for a ss U shaped brace that is one solid piece of metal that can slip over the top of the tank. But this may be my lucky day - another member just pm'd me saying he may be able to help me get a ss brace made to slip over the existing rim, just like I'd want. Fingers crossed! If it doesn't pan out I'm fine with keeping the steel clamp on the tank awhile longer. I've gotten so used to it I don't even notice it.

I'm curious, how did you use wire to mend a tank? Nothing personal, but I'm going to have nightmares now of ss wire wrapped around the top of my tank, snapping under pressure one night while I sit in front of the tank and decapitating me even as I take my last sip of coffe. LOL
Old 01-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #20
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Cindy, that tank is going to be awesome, if you can ever figure the bracing out. i think tom's idea is best, euro bracing with 1/2" glass. i have done it to 55's before. not that difficult. and if all else fail, you could always do a paludarium or riparium instead. lol

btw, i LOVE the dino head piece of wood!!
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #21
Seedreemer
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
Nothing personal, but I'm going to have nightmares now of ss wire wrapped around the top of my tank, snapping under pressure one night while I sit in front of the tank and decapitating me even as I take my last sip of coffe. LOL
Or as you lean up in bed wondering what that noise is your whole house is split in half by flying wire. You make enough money being featured on a TLC documentary to buy yourself a brand new tank.
Seedreemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:34 AM   #22
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

Mine was only a standard 55g.
Broke the center brace on my oldest dirt tank, I wanted to pitch the old scratched up thing but I can't LOL. It's the poster tank for those that say dirt doesn't last so I have to keep it.

1/8" 316L bare tig wire bent 90 to wrap the frame front and back at the exact measurement then glued in place is plenty strong.

Anything over 1/8 thickness is overkill but flat plate warps badly in narrow strips is why I used the wire.
1/4" x 1/2" is a bit bulky but stiff enough not to warp.
2 flat 90 plates for clamps and a threaded rod in turnbuckle arrangement is easy too.

If help fails to appear shoot me a PM. We will get measurements taken within 1/32" that easily transfer and I'll make it up out of 1/2" if that helps you sleep at night.
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:16 AM   #23
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

Can you post a photos of that? My brain can't grasp it. Are you gluing the wire to itself? lol I am soooo challenged in so many ways...

2 flat 90 plates for clamps and a threaded rod in turnbuckle arrangement is easy too
I don't know what language you're speaking here, my decoder ring broke

I'll will pm you if I don't hear back from the other guy! I might pm you just because this sounds so interesting - lol
Old 02-05-2013, 03:46 AM   #24
BJK
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Tank looks like it is going to be awesome! Best of luck with repairing the frame good buddy! PS love the diamond plate lighting
-Fellow 125g'er
BJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:55 AM   #25
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks BJK - I see you only have a few posts, so let me take this time to welcome you to TPT! You're going to love it here, I've learned so much about aquarium aspects I didn't even know existed, and I have so much more to learn too - lol.

I need to catch up on the thread, the tank's been up & running since last summer. I may have a solution to my brace problem, too, thanks to the unexpected kindly efforts by another TPTer. More news on that later in the thread...