newbie here, but also sharing a christmas gift - a fluval edge!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 12-28-2012, 02:31 AM   #1
ses601
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

newbie here, but also sharing a christmas gift - a fluval edge!

this gift was actually meant to end up at work, but i couldn't wait until after vacation to get it going as a result, i now have my first PLANTED TANK on my night stand (thanks to a very understanding wife)!!!! i am a bit nervous about doing something to harm these plants, so i am going to keep the standard LED setup on for ~8 hours/day and see how they react (i purchased them from my LFS, and they had been pretty well established in submerged setup).....here goes nothing!

as of 1/15/13

as of 12/28/12

started 12/27/12

Last edited by ses601; 01-15-2013 at 09:53 PM.. Reason: updated pic
ses601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 03:33 AM   #2
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

congratulations on your gift & welcome to TPT! Don't we have wonderful spouses

Is that ADA aquasoil as the substrate? btw, did you know that you can divide up the dwarf hair grass and the hc into smaller plug sections and plant them all around the foreground? (I'm guessing that is what the two low plants are)

my little eden
7g nano, a work in progress

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

bluestems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:56 AM   #3
ses601
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestems View Post
congratulations on your gift & welcome to TPT! Don't we have wonderful spouses

Is that ADA aquasoil as the substrate? btw, did you know that you can divide up the dwarf hair grass and the hc into smaller plug sections and plant them all around the foreground? (I'm guessing that is what the two low plants are)
thanks for the welcome! i actually used the fluval shrimp substrate. after talking to the guy at the store, i was a bit unsure about cutting up the clumps (partially because i couldn't remember which he said would be most likely to remain healthy, lol)....i figured i could see how it grows for now, and then maybe transplant pieces here and there throughout the front once i am more confident with my skills! by the way, you were dead on with the IDs
Old 12-28-2012, 04:07 AM   #4
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here's a great video tutorial on how to prepare a potted dhg or hc for planting in clumps, if you're interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJHk6bbUwuE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n9m1...9F5A40&index=7

my little eden

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

Old 12-28-2012, 04:20 AM   #5
ses601
Algae Grower

well, i know what i'll be doing tomorrow i just need to pick up some tweezers, and i'll get to work. THANK YOU!!!
Old 12-28-2012, 05:05 AM   #6
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

you're welcome!

The Green Machine has many how-to videos on their website pertaining to aquascaping. They are a valuable resource!

Good luck & happy scaping

my little eden

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

Old 12-28-2012, 05:09 AM   #7
Bluek24a4
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Cutting the grass and breaking up the clumps really will make it spread much faster. You're off to a good start, nice Edge.
Bluek24a4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:19 AM   #8
ses601
Algae Grower

first, thanks again for the comments here. well, i picked up some tweezers and some scissors today as you can see below, i went to work right away - i tried my best to follow what i saw/read....now the nervous wait!!! oh, i also picked up some plain-jain flourish, and added 1/2mL. as for the lights, i am using the stock 21 led (7600K rating?!) for 8 hours. any comments/suggestions are welcome and appreciated!!!

*****and now, the current layout*****
Old 12-29-2012, 01:32 AM   #9
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Good job on preparing the planting plugs! You can separate them further apart, especially the hc. You might try planting around the base of the rock, then move outward in a grid... start where the light is most intense for the hc as it's appreciates high light.

I could see some dwarf hair grass coming up in the middle of the rock to the left too.

Nice start!

my little eden

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

Old 12-29-2012, 01:38 AM   #10
ses601
Algae Grower

gotcha! should i bother worrying about moving them so often, after just putting them in?
Old 12-29-2012, 01:54 AM   #11
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm not sure that made any sense... so here's a quick diagram of my suggestion:

my little eden

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

Old 12-29-2012, 01:56 AM   #12
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ses601 View Post
gotcha! should i bother worrying about moving them so often, after just putting them in?
oh, sorry I see you already posted!

No, you just planted, so they will be fine to adjust. They won't establish until you leave them alone though.

my little eden

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

Old 12-29-2012, 02:08 AM   #13
ses601
Algae Grower

lol, well i guess i know what i'll be doing tomorrow morning i am thinking ALL of the hair grass coming out of the center (from under the rock) and the hc all around the front of the rock (like the mouth on a smily face, haha). and of course, sliding the right rear over towards the center

ps-i am definitely a visual thinker, so actually seeing that hair grass in the center was awesome! i owe you big time for your help on this!!!
Old 12-29-2012, 02:12 AM   #14
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ses601 View Post
lol, well i guess i know what i'll be doing tomorrow morning i am thinking ALL of the hair grass coming out of the center (from under the rock) and the hc all around the front of the rock (like the mouth on a smily face, haha). and of course, sliding the right rear over towards the center

ps-i am definitely a visual thinker, so actually seeing that hair grass in the center was awesome! i owe you big time for your help on this!!!

I'm a visual person too... glad it helped! I actually like the dhg on the left and just a bit in the center (it'll fill in) It'll create a nice balance Then allow the hc in front of the rocks and fill out towards the right. But, I think it could like nice either way you decide to go!

my little eden

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

Last edited by bluestems; 12-30-2012 at 05:52 AM.. Reason: .
Old 01-15-2013, 05:05 PM   #15
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

any update?

my little eden

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl