Expectations for Planted Nano Tank?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 12-28-2012, 12:43 AM   #1
Calvin
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Expectations for Planted Nano Tank?

I'm deciding to do a Nano Shrimp Tank, either cherry or ghost shrimps. (Other suggestions would be nice and accounted for)

Planning to not use CO2

Substrate:
Either organic soil mix layered on the bottom of sand
or Fluval Shrimp Stratum

Going to have

Utricularia graminifolia - Replacing

Java Moss

Java Fern

Anubias

Hornwort - Replacing

6 Gallons JBJ Nano Cube

18 watt lighting

What complications should I be expecting with this build?

Last edited by Calvin; 12-28-2012 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: Reasons
Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 05:12 AM   #2
Calvin
Algae Grower

Okay, this isn't working I'll refix the thread.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
zico_aqua
Planted Member

UG is a carnivorous plant by nature, and best avoided in a shrimp only tank, can effect shrimplets life existence. Plus it requires CO2 injection to be at it's best heath. Other than that the list is fine if there is going to be no CO2 injection. A slight bit of fert addition atleast once a week should be fine as your are on a low-tech route.

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

Few of my works
zico_aqua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
Calmia22
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Yea as the other poster said don't do ug. You will probably also find that you absolutely hate hornwort. It's a floating plant, and since this will be a low light small tank it will just take over.

Since you don't have anything that would be planted into the substrate, you might consider adding another plant like glosso or water wisteria. My nano is nothing but wisteria. It looks awesome!

soil/sand mix can be messy. The shrimp stratum is light, and is a bit challenging to plant in at first but its what I learned with and can be done.

Do cherry shrimps. They breed like crazy and you will love the bring red amoungst all of the greenery.
Fluval Flora Pimp #34, 40b Congo Puffer Tank,
75 Gallon High Tech
Calmia22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #5
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (440/100%)

It's a myth that UG is unsafe for shrimp. It's 100% safe. Even for the tiniest of shrimplets.

UG is carnivorous in the sense that it can consume nearly microscopic critters. If you've ever seen UG when next to a shrimp - or in some of my own shrimp tanks - you'll see why there's no way it could harm a young shrimp.

CO2, ferts and high light would the real limitation, as mentioned.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #6
Calvin
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
It's a myth that UG is unsafe for shrimp. It's 100% safe. Even for the tiniest of shrimplets.

UG is carnivorous in the sense that it can consume nearly microscopic critters. If you've ever seen UG when next to a shrimp - or in some of my own shrimp tanks - you'll see why there's no way it could harm a young shrimp.

CO2, ferts and high light would the real limitation, as mentioned.
Okay thank you for the input, what should I replace hornwort with. Thanks for the information on the UG, did not know that.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #7
ramen lover
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Be careful with ghost shrimp. they are more of a feedership shrimp that pet stores sell. I didn't know this when I bought them from petsmart (so cheap!).. and some of them were terrorizing my fish. I put them all in a fish bowl.

i would either get RCS or Amano. Amano shrimp are a bit bigger than RCS, but both seem cool. I only have RCS and I like how they look on a dark substrate. they really stand out since they are red. They also breed like crazy
ramen lover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 07:46 PM   #8
amphirion
Planted Tank Obsessed

UG will not eat shrimplets. UG grows its traps subterrestrially, so unless if shrimp can dig, they are in no danger. Utricularia gibba stands a better chance of being a threat to your shrimplets.

also, UG does not need CO2 to thrive in a nano-tank. ime, high lighting is what makes or breaks it in a nano-setting. i had 15 wpg on it and it did just fine. check my sig (2.5 pico) to see my results.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:50 AM   #9
Calvin
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
UG will not eat shrimplets. UG grows its traps subterrestrially, so unless if shrimp can dig, they are in no danger. Utricularia gibba stands a better chance of being a threat to your shrimplets.

also, UG does not need CO2 to thrive in a nano-tank. ime, high lighting is what makes or breaks it in a nano-setting. i had 15 wpg on it and it did just fine. check my sig (2.5 pico) to see my results.
I'm not going to risk using it (being its my first time doing a planted tank).

If I decide to turn my backdrop and create a moss wall for my JBJ, what should I be expecting? I'm planning to get a net to stay up and plant several java moss across it.

Since the backdrop is connected to the intake of the filter should I be fine if I cut it daily to prevent it from interfering with the filter?

Should I be worried if it allows the shrimp to enter the filter?

Here's the tank I'm using.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Neither UG nor U. gibba have bladders large enough for baby shrimp. UG does need CO2 to thrive for an extended period, though. It will grow without it, as amphirion has demonstrated, just not over a long period of time. And with high light comes the need for CO2 and fert dosing. UG is a fert hog. Also needs to be thinned pretty regularly so lower growth receives light - even in high light situations. Without the ideal environment, it usually doesn't last more than a year.

Find that temperature really doesn't matter so much with it. Water hardness doesn't matter, either, despite all the myths I've found out there about it.

I end up thinning and replanting my patches about every 2-3 weeks. Definitely one of my favorite plants.

WPG isn't really a solid standard for light measurement these days. PAR is much more accurate.

amphirion: Your 2.5gal tank with UG was terrific - what was the specific light fixture you were using and how many inches from the substrate was it? That will help determine your actual light level.

Calvin: Many people do the moss wall thing and it's fine. Just remember that shrimp can and will get trapped behind it on occasion.

You'll definitely need to cover all points of entry to your filter chamber with fine mesh or sponge.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #11
amphirion
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:

amphirion: Your 2.5gal tank with UG was terrific - what was the specific light fixture you were using and how many inches from the substrate was it? That will help determine your actual light level.
you're probably right about the long term not being over a year. my tank deteriorated somewhere around that time. that being said, the tank was sloped so anywhere from 4 inches to 7.5 inches from the lights. substrate used was florabase.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #12
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Even if it doesn't last a long time in setups like that - it is TOTALLY worth it. As is evidenced by your tank. The plant is underrated, in my opinion.

What I've had to do in the past is just break small setups with it down and replant it in emersed tanks or high-tech environments.

Calvin: Have you given any other thought to plant varieties you might decide to use?
Old 12-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #13
Calvin
Algae Grower

Quote:
Even if it doesn't last a long time in setups like that - it is TOTALLY worth it. As is evidenced by your tank. The plant is underrated, in my opinion.

What I've had to do in the past is just break small setups with it down and replant it in emersed tanks or high-tech environments.

Calvin: Have you given any other thought to plant varieties you might decide to use?
I'm looking around the forums to see what I can put, I'm pretty open to suggestions. I'm making sure I'm not over ambitious cause that can affect my bank a bit. (I'm a young adult)

I'm positive about keeping the Java/Anubias since they're are hardy by nature.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #14
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

If you want an easy plant that will give you a bit of a carpeting look? You could go with Crypt parva. Should also consider other cool crypts. They're easy to care for.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:43 PM   #15
Calvin
Algae Grower

Quote:
If you want an easy plant that will give you a bit of a carpeting look? You could go with Crypt parva. Should also consider other cool crypts. They're easy to care for.
Quite cheap as well, thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.