Centerpiece fish for tank of tiny fish?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-29-2012, 01:01 AM   #1
Betta132
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Centerpiece fish for tank of tiny fish?

As you may or may not know, I recieved a 65 gallon aquarium for Christmas. My plans for it are a school of 8 or so pygmy cories, 5 or so slight larger cories like Julii cories, 5 or so zebra danios, 12 or more smallish pencilfish, something like 3-5 otocinclus, and a twig (farowella) catfish.
I will most likely also have 3 female bettas, and maybe a male swordtail if I find one I especially like. I also might add 5 or so Endler's livebearers, if I find some nice ones, and possibly a sparkling gourami or two.
Since all of these but the twig cat stay on the small/tiny side and the tank will be pretty heavily planted, this seems like a perfectly doable stock to me.
Can anyone recommend a peaceful 'centerpiece' fish that gets maybe 3-4 inches long, stays mostly in midwater, and won't eat my tiny fish? I was thinking maybe some kind of ram, maybe German Blue, but I don't know how these are with tiny fish. They're really pretty, and from what I've heard, they're peaceful. I know angelfish will probably scoff my teenies, and discus are just too difficult.
Also, do you think I could add any more to my schools? Maybe up the pencils, or even add another school? Tetras?
My adventures in keeping Indostomus crocodilus, the crocodile toothpick fish. AKA armored stickleback, paradox fish, and freshwater pipefish. Care is (to the best of my knowledge) exactly the same as Indostomus paradoxus.
Betta132 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
centerpiece, cories, german blue ram, pencilfish, schools