Taking underwater pictures?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 12-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Taking underwater pictures?

I know this might be better suited under the photography category but not as many people venture there as here, and i believe this could apply here, if im in the wrong i appologize and will move the thread if need be, but here goes...

So for christmas i got a GoPro Hero3 and i realized that it has a fairly good quality camera on it. I wonder if it would be worth my time. does anyone have any experience with trying it underwater? it seems like something that would be neat to see, since most pictures are throught the glass.

Would anyoe be interested in seening these pictures if i do try it?

Again i'd have no issues with changing this over to the Photography section if need be.

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
Dany08fa
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Im getting a gopro for my car, snowboarding, biking.... But using it in the aquarium?..... Sounds like an awesome idea to me!
Dany08fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dany08fa View Post
Im getting a gopro for my car, snowboarding, biking.... But using it in the aquarium?..... Sounds like an awesome idea to me!
Thats what i was thinking as well, i am also using mine for snowboarding and even some hunting and fishing but i just thought about it, i know that their cases are water tight so i think ill give it a shot, my thinking is that its something new that ive never seen before so i think it will be worth trying

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
Old 12-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Heres some rushed pictures, but i bet if i took my time, or did video it would look WAYY better than it does.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR0011.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	60074  

Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR0012.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	60076  

-Joe (Looper 2012)
Old 12-28-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (9/100%)

underwater photos are fun. i have a digi that is water proof and i love taking photos underwater with it. but no one on here seems to notice the difference.

its does kinda freak out my fish at first, and they hate it when i forget to turn off the flash.

both of these are underwater

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHoJIBdAnOg
( Peacock gudgeon fry)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74ZiOf8Bzl4
(CPO)

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge

A Light Heart is Better than a Heavy Wallet.
Aquatic Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #6
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic Delight View Post
underwater photos are fun. i have a digi that is water proof and i love taking photos underwater with it. but no one on here seems to notice the difference.

its does kinda freak out my fish at first, and they hate it when i forget to turn off the flash.

both of these are underwater

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHoJIBdAnOg
( Peacock gudgeon fry)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74ZiOf8Bzl4
(CPO)
Nice videos! im going to start (started) a thread in Photography on the underwater stuff if your interested.

-Joe (Looper 2012)
Old 12-28-2012, 06:48 PM   #7
scbrooks87
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I think that's an awesome idea!! Definitely thinking outside the box there! May have to try scrounging the cash for a gopro.

Lately I've been considering an acrylic "top down photo box" for my DSLR... it's basically just an acrylic box with black sides on it, and a clear bottom for the lens to view through.

This is pretty much exactly what I mean.

So for anyone with a DSLR, it would be a good option, but it is definitely limited!! The gopro is a much better option for getting deeper down into the tank!!

-Scott
scbrooks87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:14 PM   #8
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbrooks87 View Post
I think that's an awesome idea!! Definitely thinking outside the box there! May have to try scrounging the cash for a gopro.

Lately I've been considering an acrylic "top down photo box" for my DSLR... it's basically just an acrylic box with black sides on it, and a clear bottom for the lens to view through.

This is pretty much exactly what I mean.

So for anyone with a DSLR, it would be a good option, but it is definitely limited!! The gopro is a much better option for getting deeper down into the tank!!

-Scott
Thats a pretty good looking setup there, your right though with how deep i can go with the gopro, i can get virtually anywhere in the tank with it.

-Joe (Looper 2012)