Rosy barbs obsessively swimming along the glass...all day long!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 10-10-2012, 01:33 AM   #1
LittleBee
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Rosy barbs obsessively swimming along the glass...all day long!

Title says it all. I recently got a small school of rosy barbs. 6 males and they do tend to stay together in a school but they constantly swim along the glass all the time! The only time they stop is when the lights go out for the night. I have a large air stone so it's not oxygen problems, the tank is 75 gallons so it's not the size. They look like they are trying to race eachother and see who can swim the fastest. And they do it on all sides of the tank. I've looked all over online for a reason for this but can't find anything helpful. Should I even be worried about it? It is bc their school isnt big enough? Thanks in advance!
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
LB79
Wannabe Guru

Barbs aren't very intelligent fish. They may just be doing this 'just because'. You might try adding females.

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
LB79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
Pink_Hat
Algae Grower

I am not expert, but my male molly did the same. I think I have it figured out. Depending on which lights are on in the room he can see his reflection and competes with himself. It's an equal battle, so he never wins and doesn't stop. If I change the room lighting he doesn't get the reflection and he stops racing back and forth.

I don't know if that applies to you, but I thought I would mention it in case it helps. For me it was a simple thing to fix, but took me a while to figure out.
Pink_Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

PTrader: (3/100%)

Some fish do that for a couple weeks before they stop. Try giving them a little more time. Iv'e seen fish do that for upwards of a month as well. Hopefully they will stop for you pretty soon though.
mitchfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:07 AM   #5
LittleBee
Algae Grower

Just to update you guys they did stop doing it after a few weeks. I think they just needed to get used to the new home.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:13 AM   #6
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBee View Post
Just to update you guys they did stop doing it after a few weeks. I think they just needed to get used to the new home.
Excellent!
mitchfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #7
Fdsh5
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (43/100%)

What other fish are in the tank with them. I have a 75g with rosy barbs, tiger barbs, silver dollars and one angel that had to be pull out if another tank. The Rosie's are fun to watch interact with the other fish. Mine like to play tag all day and chase each other around. I swear sometimes they like to annoy the other fish just to see what will happen. My silver dollars will be chilling out in the corner and suddenly a flash of Rosie's will swim between them all. Feeding time is fun too. The second I lift the cover the little pigs are right there waiting. My wife hates reaching in that tank for anything. All the other fish don't bother you. The Rosie's however have to come up and nip at your arm when it's in there. I guess they never heard the phrase "don't bite the hand that feeds you".
Fdsh5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:00 PM   #8
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBee View Post
Just curious, how heavy is your tank planted. I keep cherry barbs and I find that behavior tends to happen more in sparsely planted tanks when I move fish around.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote