Anyone have a 40G breeder shrimp tank? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 12-28-2012, 04:10 PM   #16
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)

Well, I'm certainly sticking with 20G and over tanks for mine. *fingers crossed* my Taiwan Bees breed well.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #17
Drewsplantednutz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sake View Post
Here this thread was just started yesterday. Take a look and see if it helps ya.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=202310
Thanks, this is a good theory thread. Everyone gets to chime in on this loved hobby. I think in a few years we can all get a book together. The Planted Tank Group: Tips and Tricks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoyghost2 View Post
Buy it and plant it, use CO2 to help grow the individual plants and then resell the plants....the money will finance your shrimp collection which you can keep in smaller breeding tanks.

I have a 4 ft long x 1ft x 1 ft that I planted with just a few vals (dwarf, corkscrew) some Cabomba and a few different mosses on mesh squares and riccia. I added a T5 light and some CO2. That was in August.

My tank is now so overrun with vals, cabomba, moss growing out the ying yang, that I have to now set up another tank to move the Taiwans into, because they can't find one another

Im going to just keep this tank for plants and use my smaller 8 gallon 12 x 12 x 12 for the Taiwans. Ive figured out how to keep the PH below 6 so thats good for them and CRS too.
Thats a good idea as I am also one week all about plants and next week all about the shrimp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Why would it be too much? More water = more stable parameters.
Yes more water will help keep is stable. Im thinking too much in the sense of is it neccessary. Of coarse anything will be better off in a bigger body of water. But like hedge fund says, people look at him like he has 10 head with 3 fish tanks with no fish. I know how it feels, the first question is always, "Do you eat them? It must take a whole bunch to make a meal."
Drewsplantednutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #18
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (426/100%)

You should just let your Multiple Tank Syndrome flourish - don't treat it!
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #19
Drewsplantednutz
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
You should just let your Multiple Tank Syndrome flourish - don't treat it!
Your right. My shrimp tank substate is getting to be ayear old.. And with the couple threads going on now about spent sub and adding sub to existing sub makes me want to ditch the 20g and start a new tank just because of the old sub. But your right, I might just let the shrimp be and do a fish planted tank. Havent had a fish tank in a few years. i seen some pics of triple reds and german rams that I fell inlove with. Ive never seen or heard of them but have been out of the fish game for a while.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #20
Alpha Pro Breeders
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

The majority of my tanks are 40 breeders, I love them. Water parameters stay very stable, less stress on shrimp equells better breeding conditions. $40 for a 40 gallon tank is a great buy!!!
Alpha Pro Breeders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #21
laqu
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

so does selling plants/cherries really pay off? i was thinking about it... apparently my shrimp are horndogs... in the 50 days i've had them they have all given birth once and someone twice .. and they are all berried now.

and apparently while i can't grow a houseplant (i forget to water them) i'm good with aquarium plants (except java moss..that just sort of 'hangs out' and does nothing).
laqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #22
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (426/100%)

This is a hobby, so you shouldn't go at it thinking you're going to make money or because you can make money.

You can get $1 for nice, healthy Cherries and probably make enough if you have rare plants just to keep your hobby going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laqu View Post
so does selling plants/cherries really pay off?
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #23
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (128/100%)

+1 We don't really have the publicity or push that some Asian countries have for shrimp. There- people can pay over a thousand dollars for one very nice shrimp. Here- people in general just don't have the same mindset.

Lots of members just feed off their extras to their angelfish or goldfish, etc. Some arrange credit with a local pet store to help cut expenses.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #24
Drewsplantednutz
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ya I think its more of a hassle to post/sell/pack/ship things. I usually take plants/moss out, take pics of them planning on doing a raok and end up just giving the stuff to my friend that has little exp with aquatics. He's all into aquaculture and horticulture. He perfers plants ontop of the tank rather than inside
Old 12-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #25
Drewsplantednutz
Planted Tank Obsessed

If anything I'll try to sell some shrimps to my lfs. They had cherrries for $6.99 the other day