Betta's fins are swollen?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 12-27-2012, 04:20 AM   #1
k3xx
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Betta's fins are swollen?

I just realized the other day that my betta's dorsal and caudal fins were massively swollen at the ends and have a white sheen to them. It's unfortunate because I am away from home and can't tend to him. I did put some Epsom salts in and a generous amount of betta fix. Does anyone know what this is or how to fix it?
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 04:26 AM   #2
Jeffww
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Picture would help. Sounds like a fungal infection...which you can treat with any otc antifungal medication. But please post a pic so we can ID the illness before you go on with anymore treatment.

Also it's never a good idea to blindly dump in medicine.
Jeffww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
k3xx
Planted Member

Epsom salts help with swelling, pulling out excess water, and bruising. Couldn't hurt too much. And I was leaving ad it was he only thing I had
Old 12-27-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
Virto
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Generally, you should avoid using anything with FIX in the name, as they contain chemicals that can damage the betta's labyrinth organ.

Does sound like it's probably fungal, but you'd need a decent pic to get a confirmation. If it's fungus, an appropriate fungicide combined with raising the tank temp to around 80 will help. The salt won't hurt the fish unless you use it constantly, and it's a smart addition to the water, so good on you, there.
Virto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:57 AM   #5
k3xx
Planted Member

I will take a picture as soon as I return home
I looked in on the 'fix' thing before I got the betta (his name is Fenrir by the way) and melafix is NOT okay, but betta fix is fine. I always under dose it anyway, to just err on the side of caution.
Thanks so far, I'll be home on the 29th so ill update then!
Old 12-28-2012, 04:21 AM   #6
Virto
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Sounds good. I'll check back when you update.
Virto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:31 AM   #7
Jeffww
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3xx View Post
I will take a picture as soon as I return home
I looked in on the 'fix' thing before I got the betta (his name is Fenrir by the way) and melafix is NOT okay, but betta fix is fine. I always under dose it anyway, to just err on the side of caution.
Thanks so far, I'll be home on the 29th so ill update then!
The thing about antibiotics is that it's VERY bad to underdose. Just follow the manufacturer's directions next time please. This is how resistant strains are formed! Also there's absolutely nothing wrong with dosing melafix and bettas. Bettafix and melafix are the same **** thing just one is more dilute and marked up because it's meant for bettas.

Just dose using mela in lower amounts that would be equivalent to the amount in bettafix....

If you give us a pic we can have you on your way with an actual fungicide that won't hurt the betta more than any other medicine like tea tree oil will....
Old 12-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #8
k3xx
Planted Member

Well that is interesting. I'll update as soon as I can!
Old 12-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #9
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Melafix and Bettafix are not antibiotics and will not cause resistant strains of anything.
wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #10
Jeffww
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyjo View Post
Melafix and Bettafix are not antibiotics and will not cause resistant strains of anything.
Antibiotics are pretty much anything that kills bacteria. Really weak stuff like tea tree oil can always possibly produce new strains of bacteria.

source: http://news.ulster.ac.uk/releases/2007/3000.html
Old 12-29-2012, 10:52 PM   #11
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

ignore melafix and bettafix. when it comes to disease treatment use the real stuff. herbal, all natural, holistic, etc. are synonymous with placebo.
in this case, the drug can actually harm the fish too. all natural means less effective, but it doesnt mean safer. b. atropa (deadly nightshade) is a naturally occurring plant that you wouldnt want to eat instead of going to a doctor for atropine (a med derived from that plant).
buy some sulfathiazole. seachem brand, or API as "Triple Sulfa" (has some other sulfa drugs in it as well). its more of an antimicrobial than an antibiotic, it will harm gram + bacteria, gram - bacteria, protozoans, and fungi (not as much as bacteria though). great for when you arent sure what is causing the problem.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:50 PM   #12
Jeffww
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
ignore melafix and bettafix. when it comes to disease treatment use the real stuff. herbal, all natural, holistic, etc. are synonymous with placebo.
in this case, the drug can actually harm the fish too. all natural means less effective, but it doesnt mean safer. b. atropa (deadly nightshade) is a naturally occurring plant that you wouldnt want to eat instead of going to a doctor for atropine (a med derived from that plant).
buy some sulfathiazole. seachem brand, or API as "Triple Sulfa" (has some other sulfa drugs in it as well). its more of an antimicrobial than an antibiotic, it will harm gram + bacteria, gram - bacteria, protozoans, and fungi (not as much as bacteria though). great for when you arent sure what is causing the problem.

I think we want a specific antifungal though but what you've suggested seems good...
Old 12-29-2012, 11:55 PM   #13
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

i would have said antifungal, but i cant say that the infection is fungal. i havent seen a picture of it.
but if the OP who has seen it knows its fungal, than yeah antifungal is the way to go.
however i recommend always keeping some sulfa. its a great first response med.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:20 AM   #14
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

I stand corrected.

However, I would not use melafix, pimafix or bettafix to treat a bacterial infection - for that I would use an actual antibiotic.
wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:06 PM   #15
k3xx
Planted Member

This was the best picture I could take. He's a crown tail but almost looks like a rosette tail. He's also listless and just hangs out on the bottom of the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	60378  

Tags
betta splendens, fins, sick betta