Paintball co2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 12-25-2012, 02:26 AM   #1
Leichty
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Paintball co2

I am lost on all the things I need for a paintball co2, I'm new to this and from what I have read it would be less hassle to do paintball method over the yeast, I have a 46 bow-front with a t5 HO lighting, that's what a aquarium store sold me, hope that's a decent light, anyway, I know what a paintball tank is of course but I need help with the rest, Where can I buy the stuff already to attach to the paintball tank? I've seen pictures of all the components and got totally lost ,I would not even know how to put them together to be totally honest, so I am trying to find one ready to go ,but I am on a budget like everyone else. I have been a member on here for a little while and slowly gathering the stuff I need , I think Iam down to the co2 and the plants and a some fish, I am so close to getting this started finally. You all have awesome tanks that inspired me to try one.I have had fish tanks but never a planted one. So I need HELP!
Leichty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 04:03 AM   #2
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Is there any particular reason you are choosing a paintball cylinder setup over a regular (5 pound or larger) CO2 cylinder?

The larger your cylinder is, the more economical it will be in the long run; CO2 refills are usually all about the same price, and with a larger cylinder, you get the added advantage of having to refill your cylinder less frequently.

With that being said, there are some commercially available paintball pressurized CO2 setups. Green Leaf Aquariums (GLA) sells some, as do some other stores. eBay may have them, but you will want to ensure that what you are buying is correct for the North American standards (as Asian/European standards are different).

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
Leichty
Algae Grower

Price is the biggest issue, I found that the paintball tanks are cheaper , this can get me started then I can save for a better co2 system. Thank you for your input I really appreciate the help, like I said I'm new to the planted tank thing.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #4
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leichty View Post
Price is the biggest issue, I found that the paintball tanks are cheaper , this can get me started then I can save for a better co2 system. Thank you for your input I really appreciate the help, like I said I'm new to the planted tank thing.
If that is the case, I would recommend rather than buying a paintball setup for the time being and then saving more money to spend on a regular CO2 setup, that you just save up money now and hold off on buying the paintball CO2 system.

Pressurized CO2 should be something that you invest once in, properly, and then that should be the end of that.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #5
Axelrodi202
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Paintball cylinders aren't that much cheaper than actual 5 lb CO2 tanks if you buy the 5 lb tank used. You'll also spend a lot more money on refills, because a paintball tank won't last too long on a 46 gallon tank. Paintball CO2 is mainly used for smaller tanks.
\_\
Axelrodi202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
Leichty
Algae Grower

If I go ahead and set up and have fish and plants and save for a better co2 , how long can I go without co2? or what can I do until I get one,.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:34 AM   #7
trgiboney
Algae Grower

I went with a 24 oz paintball and a aquatek regulator with a solenoid so I can control it wit a timer because of space and I'm extremely satisfied. My tank sits up on a corner shelf and there is no room below because its a fake fireplace so I had to put it behind the tank. Its a 40 tall and I only have to refill it every 3 to 4 months and it cost me $5.00 to refill. I got all of this on eBay and I almost forgot I added a aquatek bubble counter. Pm me and I will send you the links if you are interested.
trgiboney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:38 AM   #8
trgiboney
Algae Grower

Forgot picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0133.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	59932  

trgiboney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:00 AM   #9
Axelrodi202
Planted Tank Guru

A 46 bow with T5HO lighting and no CO2 is gonna run into algae problems. If you aren't already you should start dosing ferts and Flourish Excel if you have the time. The best results with Excel are obtained when its dosed daily before the lights come on so it may not fit well w/ your schedule.
\_\
Old 12-28-2012, 03:23 AM   #10
Leichty
Algae Grower

I haven"t got it set up yet, But have read I should have co2 because of the lighting, The guy at an aquarium shop sold me the light and said it would work fine for planted tanks, Like I said I'm new to this and didn't know about this kind of light, I've read on here getting info and learned I would get algie , I just can't afford the expensive co2 at this time, so I was looking into paintball co2, Being on here is really helping me before I set it up I want to thank all of you .
Old 12-28-2012, 01:48 PM   #11
jack25
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)

Here's a pic of my paintball set up for my 10 gallon. It's a basic setup with a single stage Veriflo regulator and needle valve.

jack25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:53 PM   #12
tribune1234
Algae Grower

Default I got the Paintball regulator from Green leaf

It's pretty expensive but it seems like decent quality. Just make sure you get a regulator that allows you to adjust the co2 flow and preferably has a bubble counter.
tribune1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:33 AM   #13
Axelrodi202
Planted Tank Guru

With T5HO lighting you definitely should use CO2 if the lights are resting on the tank. If you raised the lights by at least several inches then CO2 wouldn't be necessary.
\_\
Old 12-30-2012, 02:40 AM   #14
Leichty
Algae Grower

The lighting does have legs so it's not going to rest right on the tank, I'm so close to finally getting this set up, I'm so excited! Gettin me some Angels and some other fish that are compatible with Angels. You guys are a big help!
Old 12-31-2012, 04:09 AM   #15
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack25 View Post
My paintball set up for my 10 gallon basic setup with a single stage Veriflo regulator and needle valve.
What is the psi rating? Did you need an adaptor? What size tank is that?

Last edited by Hilde; 01-19-2013 at 09:39 PM.. Reason: added text
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote