Scott's 40 breeder Journal- Couple New Pics!!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-12-2012, 01:05 AM   #1
scbrooks87
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Scott's 40 breeder Journal- Couple New Pics!!

Ok so right off the bat, I'm just going to say it, this will be a long time in the making... Right now I'm using this as a place to organize equipment lists, stocking plans, and everything else I plan for this tank. As I get stuff I'll update it with pics, but it could be months before I see water in it!

40 gallon breeder- ($43.10 with $1/gallon sale)
DIY Stand, or maybe Aquatic Fundamentals 50/65 stand, or a custom stand from a LFS. (Actual Cost around $200)

Lighting- Finnex Ray 2 36" (Will have this before year end) ($158.18)
Reefkeeper Elite has a moonlight controller I plan to add- ($75 budget)
Filtration- Fluval 406 (will have this before year end) ($186.13)
Heating- Hydor 200w inline heater (will have this before year end) ($54.65)
Dosing- Likely the BRS Dosing pump ($150)
Planning to dose Micros and Macros from GreenLeaf aquariums. Safe money with dry ferts mixed on my own. (plantex CSM+B and KN03, K2S04, KH2P04, MGS04) if anyone
sees a problem with that dosing, let me know!

Controller- Reefkeeper Elite (Plus) built into the stand. ($290.61)

CO2 system- DIY Regulator ($150 for all parts) Turns out my dad had a 5lb co2 tank from the days when he had a kegorator. He let me have that.

Substrate- ADA AS. I purchased 5x 9l bags ($150) but highly doubt this tank will use that much, I wanted more on hand for future use.
Hardscape- More than likely going to use lava rock. The cost for this is very low.

Fauna- About 60 chili rasboras, and a handful of oto's for cleanup. Not sure if I plan to put anything else in at this time.

Flora- Ok so I'm still not totally decided, but I am thinking HC foreground, some type of moss on the rockwork (Fissidens? Mini Pellia? Weeping Moss? hmmm) Then maybe towards the back of the scape a grass, just to kind of give a little depth)

Anyways, I'll post pics of things as I get them, and edit this post with any changes in the plans.

(Running total for items purchased so far: $1382.67ish)

-Scott

Last edited by scbrooks87; 02-20-2014 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: Additional Info/Changes in plans
scbrooks87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 10:57 PM   #2
scbrooks87
Planted Member

I added price estimates/budgets for everything. Once I actually get stuff, I'll put in totals with shipping/tax, so that way I can have a running total of every $ spent, that way if anyone ever wonders what a setup costs them, being a beginner... they have something to see!

-Scott
Old 12-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
scbrooks87
Planted Member

Default [B]Some Pictures!!![/B]

I finally have some equipment for this!!! And as promised, I'm adding some pictures so this thread isn't quite as boring! But I know, until my tank is wet and my hands are dirty, it's still a boring thread

So to start off... I got the Fluval 406 canister filter! Opened the box to make sure everything is there, and it is, but boxed it all back up! Will post more detailed pics as I set it up!

Next up is the heater!! It's the Hydor 200 watt in line heater, with 5/8" attachments, so it will fit the fluval hose nicely... I will need to pick up a small section of regular clear tubing from the hardware store for the connection on one side, but that's no biggy!!

After that is the lighting!! I got the Finnex Ray 2!! And let me tell ya, this thing is BRIGHT! I took it out of the box just to test that all worked as it should, it's super easy, plug it in, flip the switch, and let there be light!

Sorry the pics are kinda crappy, snapped em super quick with my cell phone last night. And the background is messy, was trying to clean things up after xmas!

More to follow!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20121227_012210.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	59846  

Name:	20121227_012236.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	59848  

Name:	20121227_012433.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	59849  

Old 12-27-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
scbrooks87
Planted Member

Thought I'd add this in a separate post... My fiance is amazing. We were out with my dad for some dinner, and there was a petco next door to where we were eating, so after dinner, we said our goodbyes to my dad, and she wanted to go look for some stuff for her rats. I told her i'd be in the fish section, of course!

Well when I was walking around, I saw it... the sign that said $1/Gallon sale!!! And that's when I ran over to my fiance and told her. She immediately gave me the green light to get the tank for $40.00, and that she just didn't want to see it till after it was ready to be set up, so I promised I had a place to put it out of sight, and I do!! hehe.

So here's the tank!! Again, sorry for the junk in the background, so many xmas decorations in boxes and totes!

Thanks for looking! Will update more as I progress!

-Scott
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20121227_012253.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	59853  

Old 12-27-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

I like the footprint of this tank. Can't wait to see this up and running.

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #6
scbrooks87
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMYukonon24s View Post
I like the footprint of this tank. Can't wait to see this up and running.
Thanks for the interest! I also love the footprint of the 40b, owning one has always been a dream of mine, and now I have one sitting in my walk in closet... very excited! And worn out, single handedly carrying this thing from my car to my upstairs apartment sure took a lot out of me! haha.

I think my next purchase MIGHT (big might) be the controller for the system... I was originally going to go with the reefkeeper lite plus system, but then realized the reefkeeper elite plus is not actually that much more expensive, so I'll probably be going for the elite, in order to expand to additional tanks in the future!

Thanks
-Scott
Old 12-27-2012, 11:52 PM   #7
scbrooks87
Planted Member

Ouch!!! That's going to be a sore spot for a little while... Just ordered the ReefKeeper Elite (Plus) unit... set me back $290.61 after shipping/tax...

I'll post pictures of it when it comes in. Next up, in a couple months I'm thinking... will be the CO2 regulator probably. Will have to see if I wanna go for that, or one of the dosing pumps... thinking the regulator cause I can dose ferts by hand for a little while if I want to, then automate it down the road, but co2 is a little harder to do that with hehe.

Thanks for looking
-Scott
Old 12-27-2012, 11:54 PM   #8
sjb1987
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (107/100%)

Good start..sounds like you got a good idea on what you want
Old 12-28-2012, 02:16 AM   #9
Drewsplantednutz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

Nice I just grabbed a 40g yesterday. You cant go wrong with that price. I almost want to get two. Ill be keeping up with your build as I am taking my time and building a nice stand for mine. My first carpentry project.
Drewsplantednutz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 02:31 AM   #10
scbrooks87
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewsplantednutz View Post
Nice I just grabbed a 40g yesterday. You cant go wrong with that price. I almost want to get two. Ill be keeping up with your build as I am taking my time and building a nice stand for mine. My first carpentry project.
Thanks for showing interest! When you make a journal/build thread, let me know! I'll follow along too. Could be a little while before I start the stand... I want that to be my last thing I do before filling, mostly because I want as many of the components that will be going IN the stand as possible, so I can customize the stand appropriately to suit my needs.

I'm thinking of a simple 1x4 frame, screws and glue, get it together, then add a 1/4" or 1/2" hardwood plywood skin over it, I want to have 2 doors in front, and a side access door on each side, to allow entry from any angle. But doing this poses certain challenges: where to attach all my electrical equipment, RKE, Power Bars, Modules, etc... that will allow for easy access to everything, and keeping it sturdy of course!

Once I get a design in place, I'll post the plans on here. I am fortunate, my dad is a CAD/CADD designer, designing municipal waterways, water storage tanks, etc... and so he can help me design the stand in Auto Cad when I'm ready!
Old 12-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #11
scbrooks87
Planted Member

As promised, I have updated the original post to reflect the running total of my purchases, including tax/shipping. I will continue to update these numbers as I progress.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #12
ramen lover
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

nice! i wanted a 40B when I got my 55G.. but there wasn't a $1/gallon sale and im impatient lol.

you said you might possibly get a co2 tank? i think with the ray 2 you probably would need one since it's such a strong light. unless you raised it up really really high
ramen lover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 03:02 AM   #13
scbrooks87
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramen lover View Post
nice! i wanted a 40B when I got my 55G.. but there wasn't a $1/gallon sale and im impatient lol.

you said you might possibly get a co2 tank? i think with the ray 2 you probably would need one since it's such a strong light. unless you raised it up really really high
Haha, patience is not one of my virtues, but being tight with my buck is usually... so I try to look at it that way!!

I was originally thinking I may raise it up, or use a diffuser in order to go with a lower light, no co2 system... But after doing some thinking, I'll probably go with the paintball co2 system (a pre made kit, not a DIY) cause when spending this much on a tank, I'd much rather spend the little bit extra to have it work right the first time.

Can't wait to get it up and running, just keep telling myself it will all come together in time.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:00 AM   #14
scbrooks87
Planted Member

Getting excited. My reefkeeper elite should be coming in tomorrow! Will post pics when it gets here, but unfortunately the tank is still a ways away from seeing water, so it'll be sitting in with the other boxed up goodies.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:49 AM   #15
scbrooks87
Planted Member

It's here!! My RKE came in! Very impressed with it on all accounts. Can't wait to hook it all up, going to have to wait of course, but that was a BIG expense out of the way now! Here is a small photo unboxing!

This is how it was packaged, as always, marine depot doesn't mess around with packaging.

Then we have the unit it's self, the RKE head unit with the SL1

Gotta love warning labels!!

Next we have the cables for it to make the whole thing work. Along with the PH and Temperature probes!

And then of course the PC4s... These are pretty light weight surprisingly, but still feel quite solid!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.