Potassium Permanganate & Killing Assassins
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 12-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
Cocobid
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)

Potassium Permanganate & Killing Assassins

1. I have a filter that I want to make sure is snail free... Does anyone know how to run this through my Eheim canister. It will not be connected to a tank just a bucket. The aquarium that it serviced is down. Want to hook it up to another aquarium and that tank it serviced had assassins.

2. On a second subject how can I dose a tank that is running and has been for 7-8 years, it was a magnificent goldfish tank and we all know the crap that they can carry. But I want to get as close to pure water as I can...if that mean slightly dosing with PP so be it.. Or if any other suggestions...Hit me with them. I just want to make sure the tank is as disease free as possible!! It to has an Eheim servicing it.

Anyone have any amount or run times for both of these questions?

Regarding the PP I have a 5lb tub of the stuff.. super concentrated powder.

Thank You Karen
Beyond that...just gave up counting vessels
2232~~Eheim Pimp Club#261
Cocobid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 12:54 AM   #2
chibikaie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

For scenario #1, assuming you are not trying to save any beneficial bacteria, you should be able to run the filter on a bucket of permanganate solution. My guess is that you'll want to run it at 4 ppm for several hours. I would manually clean the filter first with plain water, so that the permanganate isn't battling layers of organic material. If the solution turns brown quickly, then you need to add more as it's all been used up.

If the second tank still has fish and you don't want to kill the filter bacteria, you can bypass the filter during potassium permanganate treatments, but you then have to do a series of treatments (three in total). I believe the recommended concentration is 2-4 ppm. Have hydrogen peroxide or a dechlorinator on hand and watch the fish for signs of distress during each treatment. Alternatively, if you feel that you can successfully re-seed the filter after treatment, you could just dose the entire system and recolonize with bacteria from another tank (or buy some, as there are some decent products on the shelf these days). Again, do as much tank maintenance as possible beforehand, or you're going to have to repeat treatments just to ensure that sterilization is successful.

There's some good information here, aimed toward koi in ponds, but which can be scaled down to the indoor aquarium with a little math:
http://www.koivet.com/a_potassium_pe...sh_basics.html
http://www.koivet.com/a_potassium_pe..._ciliates.html

KMnO4 is kind of an old school, shotgun approach, but I think it can certainly be used as long as you take appropriate precautions.

Another medication frequently used with goldfish is praziquantel, as their most common ailment seems to be flukes. This has the advantage of not toasting beneficial bacteria, not to mention being much gentler on the fish. On the flip side, it won't treat other problems.
chibikaie is offline   Reply With Quote