NJ shops
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 12-23-2012, 07:16 AM   #1
xev11
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

NJ shops

Yes i know that this is the NY forum, but we are a lot more active than NJ.

I was wondering what shops are worth visiting in the area around intersection of 78 and 287. Somerville, Bridgewater areas.

I've heard that there is a store in Chester but don't know how good it is.
Also Pet Shanty in Scotch Plains , but no idea if its worth the gas.

Also curious about Milford PA if anyone knows.

If anyone has any insight on this area, I'd be very grateful. Thanks
xev11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
jhays79
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

The store in Chester is Adam's Pet Safari, it's my LFS. Adam knows his stuff, but can be a bit stand offish. The store is pretty jam packed and he has a lot of freshwater tanks, and a fair amount of plants for sale. His prices are very reasonable too. I just bought some jungle val from Adam's that was easily 3ft long. I got three of them for 21 bucks. Not the neatest store in the world, but it's worth a look for sure.
jhays79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:02 AM   #3
xev11
Planted Tank Obsessed

I went to Adams today and will definitely visit again when I'm in the area. The guy that helped me was friendly. The small fish selection wasn't the best today, but I got a few ember tetras and some microsword (3x4+ matt for $6). They also have Cory Hobrosus for $3or4 but I didn't want to risk since I won't be home for a day.
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzO...2dxZTQ5X2VsZTg
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzO...185VmZqbVIzbU0
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzO...1FMWHo2bWFORVU
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzO...m9LWFZ3d1ZudDQ
Old 12-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
shloken38
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Am I reading that correctly......cory habrosus $3 for 4? Holy crap......I work right up the road from this place (live near the Lincoln Tunnel)!!! I might have to stop by after work today....

Edit: just reread your post. 3 or 4 dollars each. Woof.....almost freaked out there for a second. I might have to check it out anyway.
2.5 Gallon - Pea Puffer
5.5 Gallon - RCS, Ghost Shrimp, Ember Tetras, Sparkling Gouramis, Bumble Bee Gobies
10 Gallon - Pure Black Bar Endlers
29 Gallon - Planted Community - Cherry Barbs, Neon Tetras, Various Cory Cats, Albino Bristlenose Pleco
shloken38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
xev11
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shloken38 View Post
Am I reading that correctly......cory habrosus $3 for 4? Holy crap......I work right up the road from this place (live near the Lincoln Tunnel)!!! I might have to stop by after work today....

Edit: just reread your post. 3 or 4 dollars each. Woof.....almost freaked out there for a second. I might have to check it out anyway.
yea sorry, they are each about 3 or 4. Most of them are in one of their show tanks, so I'm not sure if they are even for sale. But there were 2 in one of the sale tanks. Probably give them a call and ask.
They do have other nice fish, but stuff that Pacific and other local ny shops have as well.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
Gatekeeper
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)

I should subscribe to the NJ forum so I can catch questions when they come in. You could always join our NJ forum over at www.njagc.net (New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club) and discuss some of these questions there as well. Some of our members do not frequent this site and stay local to our forum.

Anyway.... I see you are in NYC. There are a number of stores that you can try just across most of the crossings. If you come across the GWB and head up the Route 4 corridor, there are a number of good stores you could hit up. Some can be seasonally better than others and it can really matter when some of the major auctions are in the area on whether their stock is good.

Kazimir's in Hackensack
Reef Encounter in Hackensack
Fishtown USA in Ramsey on Rt 17
Absolutely Fish in Clifton on Rt 3
Rt 4 Aquarium in Elmwood Park (ok place, has flipped owners a number of times and I haven't been back, but I think one of the managers frequents here and claims it is a good place).
The ADA store just opened very close to this area as well in Ridgewood (about 35 minutes from NYC)

Those are just some of the highlights that I can think of that are worth visiting. Hope that helped.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
xev11
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yes thank you. I was aware of most of those but not all. I don't have a car and the area i mentioned in my first post is where a relative lives. And he can drive me to places within a reasonable distance from his house. I probably will join the NJ forum as well.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
Congee
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Are any of these places close to GW bridge? I bike alot during the spring and summer and I'm from NYC but I bike frequent in NJ.
Congee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:58 AM   #9
xev11
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congee View Post
Are any of these places close to GW bridge? I bike alot during the spring and summer and I'm from NYC but I bike frequent in NJ.
Don't know if they are in biking distance for you but here you go.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=A...ra=ls&t=m&z=12
Old 12-29-2012, 02:19 AM   #10
Axelrodi202
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

I definitely recommend a visit to Absolutely Fish if possible. They're a bit pricey but they have a lot of stuff you don't usually see.
\_\
Axelrodi202 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:23 AM   #11
Congee
Planted Member

Thanks Xev. I think I can make it there from Woodhaven lol
Old 12-29-2012, 02:36 AM   #12
shloken38
Planted Tank Enthusiast

None close to GWB by bike. Just to add one to the list, there is Fish Hut on Rt. 46 in Saddle Brook. They have a pretty big selection and good prices. And Rt. 4 Aquarium has gotten waaaaaaay better, and it keeps getting better every time I go. If you are looking for something specific, just ask Mike there to get it for you. He's hooked me up a couple of times. His name on this site is F22. Mention this site to him, and he gives a discount! Really good peeps in that place.
2.5 Gallon - Pea Puffer
5.5 Gallon - RCS, Ghost Shrimp, Ember Tetras, Sparkling Gouramis, Bumble Bee Gobies
29 Gallon - Planted Community - Cherry Barbs, Neon Tetras, Various Cory Cats, Albino Bristlenose Pleco
Old 12-29-2012, 02:43 AM   #13
shloken38
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That place is good (Absolutely Fish), but it IS pricey. You can haggle with them so long as the word "net" isn't next to the price. They also have a pretty good plant selection there. But again, expensive. For plants, I go to Fishtown in Ramsey. They give NICE moss portions for cheap. I picked up Riccia, Fissidens, and a few others for 2, 3 and 4 bucks each......close to tennis ball size. Can't beat that. He also has lots of different shrimp.
2.5 Gallon - Pea Puffer
Old 12-29-2012, 02:58 AM   #14
Congee
Planted Member

If I go to Absolutely Fish by Bike. It should take me 5 hours. I've ridden a 7 hour ride 70+ miles from my house up to NJ palisades by bike and back. I do not mind biking to any fish store in NJ as long as it doesnt reach 100+ miles.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:12 AM   #15
xev11
Planted Tank Obsessed

You're crazy man. I do that on the west side. But scared of places with traffic.
If you're willing to buy for others, let me know cuz i'm pretty sure I would want something from those stores.

Last edited by xev11; 12-30-2012 at 01:08 AM.. Reason: edit