CO2 coming out reg relief valve
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 12-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
Jaguar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Jaguar

CO2 coming out reg relief valve

I just got a used tank today, hydrostat just a few days ago and filled... 2 hrs after setting it all up I am in the bathroom and hear my CO2 venting out my reg release valve. Tried opening up the pressure but it's still venting. I bought the regulator from the SnS and it has been in storage until today. Victor VTS-250C

I am pretty new to this but I followed instruction guides. Attached the reg (permaseal), started with everything closed, opened up the tank, brought the working pressure up to ~30 psi, plugged in the solenoid and fined tuned needle valve to about ~2 bps. It was fine for 2 hours and then all of a sudden it started venting. What's up?

I am about to go away for a few weeks so I would like to at least get this thing NOT blasting CO2 in my face before I leave. I won't be leaving it running just in case.

Last edited by Jaguar; 12-20-2012 at 11:39 PM.. Reason: oops
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 01:57 AM   #2
oldpunk78
/)ಠ_ಠ(\

PTrader: (107/100%)

Where was it venting from? The reg or the tank?
oldpunk78 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 02:00 AM   #3
Jaguar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

reg, sorry for confusion
Old 12-21-2012, 03:01 AM   #4
oldpunk78
/)ಠ_ಠ(\

You can remove it (the relief valve) and replace it with a 1/4npt plug at just about any hardware store or you can get a replacement relief valve at just about any welding supply. It might be difficult to remove (hard to turn it with a wrench) as victor usually glues them in.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:07 AM   #5
Jaguar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Okay, I will have to deal with it when I get back in January, I won't have time before I leave tomorrow. Was hoping I was just doing something wrong/something fixable at home but it's all right. Thank you
Old 12-21-2012, 06:29 PM   #6
Jaguar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Bump, if anyone else has any ideas I'm at home for one more day
Old 12-21-2012, 07:40 PM   #7
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Both my Milwaukee and M3 regulators decided to whistle on me too. Their pressure relief valves aren't glued in and over the years they came unscrewed. I put my thumb on top of them and screwed them back down with no tool. No more whistling. It was bizarre that this happened to both regulators the same week but those valves were rattling and about to fall out I really don't think it was a problem with too much gas in the tank or anything like that. I seriously doubt that is what is going on with your regulator, it is a much better built one and if the valve is glued down it isn't going to get loose.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #8
Jaguar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah it's not loose, I checked it out, it does look like it's glued in there good. I'm just scared to mess with it since I'm more or less clueless. I will see if anyone else has any ideas, otherwise I'll just disconnect it and leave it till I get back
Old 12-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #9
IWANNAGOFAST
I see LEDs

PTrader: (33/100%)

the time the pressure release valve blew on me was because I had opened up the co2 bottle too much. I basically just turned it all the way open, and a day later, sounded like a tea kettle.

Now, I only just barely crack the tank open
IWANNAGOFAST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #10
Jaguar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hmm, I read a lot of conflicting info on whether to open the tank all the way or just one turn etc, I went with what the seller of the reg said in the printoff he gave me to open it all the way, maybe that's what did it? It's still happening when I barely let the tank open too..
Old 12-21-2012, 10:15 PM   #11
oldpunk78
/)ಠ_ಠ(\

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANNAGOFAST View Post
the time the pressure release valve blew on me was because I had opened up the co2 bottle too much. I basically just turned it all the way open, and a day later, sounded like a tea kettle.

Now, I only just barely crack the tank open
While it's a good idea to not open the cylinder quickly, the same amount of pressure is going to make it to the regulator if it's just cracked open or you've got the thing wide open. The tank open/close valve doesn't regulate pressure.

I just wanted to clarify that.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:14 PM   #12
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post
You can remove it (the relief valve) and replace it with a 1/4npt plug at just about any hardware store or you can get a replacement relief valve at just about any welding supply. It might be difficult to remove (hard to turn it with a wrench) as victor usually glues them in.
This sounds like good advise to me, a cheap solution that will work for a long time. I'm no expert but I think the pressure relief valve is more for welders, etc. where tanks maybe subjected to high temperatures and violent movement in the back of a truck, etc., I know you can only paint your home tank white or silver because they are colors that reflect light and keep the tank cooler, I wanted to paint my outdoor tank black and after I called my supplier I was told black absorbed too much heat from the sun and the gas expansion would cause problems.

I've always been told that to prevent leaks you open the tank valve all the way because there is a seal at each end, now that is for a propane tank on a gas BBQ grille but I don't see why a 5# would be any different. That's all I can say except I'm sorry you waited all this time and then had a problem straight away, please keep me informed.

Last edited by 150EH; 12-28-2012 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: spelling
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 12:33 AM   #13
Jaguar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am back from my vacation now, waiting to get over this nasty cold before I can get the damn regulator fixed. I tried chilling the tank for a few minutes outside but it's still blowing out CO2 as soon as I open the tank. I will post an update when I get it fixed.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:30 AM   #14
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (87/98%)

the relief valve is there for a reason, because it connects to the chamber that between the first and second diaphragm chambers of the regulator.
in the middle section, the pressure usually set around the max to double that output of the regulator, and guarded by the first poppet valve and the first diaphragm.
if the first diaphragm or the first poppet valve fail, the pressure will exceed the relief valve rating, gas escape and give warning.
Replace the relief valve with a plug, if the first poppet valve fail, it is still be ok because most the double stage regulator can handle the high pressure co2 at 800 psi with only one poppet valve working(second poppet valve).
If it is other high pressure gas(>1000ps), to seal the relief valve port with a plug is dangerous, first poppet valve fail and the second poppet valve can't handle high pressure alone.

If the second poppet valve fail, no matter first poppet valve good or not, the regulator is broken.
Bettatail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #15
Jaguar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am bumping this thread again. I still did not get this fixed. I'm ready to now.

Few things I've observed.

There is a visible gap between some sort of materials in she small vent slit. I am not sure if this is normal, or if it means the relief valve is really toast. Which leads me to wonder why it failed in the first place?

The valve is glued in. Tight. I've tried to get it out but I have nothing to hold it and I can't get it out.

What valve exactly would I need to replace it? I don't really want to plug it in case there is something structurally wrong with the regulator. This whole thing kind of scares me to be honest lol.

And should i re-glue the new valve or cap? I don't think it's necessary but then again I don't want it to leak or fail again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.