CRS Spec Journal - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #16
MABJ
Invert Warrior
 
MABJ's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 3,883
Default

Phew that's a lot to respond to! Thank you!

-I don't think I'll be picking up that light unless I really need to, I kinda like this stock light.

-As for leaving the cray in there, I agree he's neat as all hell! I like him a lot, even more as he's been alone. But this tank is going to be a species only tank for SS-SSS crystals from Nick. I actually just ordered my solution tank it should solve everything. It is another Deep Blue Professional (The best siliconed, rimmed tanks I've ever handled) tank. One gallon with a divider down the middle. I haven't figured out exactly how I'll do biological filtration along with mechanical, but I don't believe I'll need much. There will only be two crayfish in it. If I have an abundance of bad neos, a few neos too. It'll be full to the brim with mosses and driftwood.

-Filtration, yeah I heard about that before, but I'm trying something completely new now. I'm going to do a canister on this tank I will custom fit the tubes and pipes and *hopefully* it will make this tank 100% CRS ready.

-Spec leaking... Wow this is one of the best quality tanks I've ever owned.. And I've had a lot of different tanks in the past. I've never had a leaking issue with mine, and this will be my second year with it soon. I hope it holds out. I move it 6 times a year lol.


MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p
__________________
|Mossy Bonsai|Almost ADA|DBP Loonnng|CRS Spec|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|Essential tools|List of inverts|Sage advice|Truth About Snails|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #17
MABJ
Invert Warrior
 
MABJ's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 3,883
Default

Oh and the plants growing on the driftwood are still there lmao. I just kinda let them go. I'll snap a picture. Tbh I think it is grass 0.O. 🙉
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355941808.129588.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	59183


MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p
__________________
|Mossy Bonsai|Almost ADA|DBP Loonnng|CRS Spec|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|Essential tools|List of inverts|Sage advice|Truth About Snails|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 10:23 PM   #18
mr2
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: ringwood nj
Posts: 177
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
Phew that's a lot to respond to! Thank you!

-I don't think I'll be picking up that light unless I really need to, I kinda like this stock light.

-As for leaving the cray in there, I agree he's neat as all hell! I like him a lot, even more as he's been alone. But this tank is going to be a species only tank for SS-SSS crystals from Nick. I actually just ordered my solution tank it should solve everything. It is another Deep Blue Professional (The best siliconed, rimmed tanks I've ever handled) tank. One gallon with a divider down the middle. I haven't figured out exactly how I'll do biological filtration along with mechanical, but I don't believe I'll need much. There will only be two crayfish in it. If I have an abundance of bad neos, a few neos too. It'll be full to the brim with mosses and driftwood.

-Filtration, yeah I heard about that before, but I'm trying something completely new now. I'm going to do a canister on this tank I will custom fit the tubes and pipes and *hopefully* it will make this tank 100% CRS ready.

-Spec leaking... Wow this is one of the best quality tanks I've ever owned.. And I've had a lot of different tanks in the past. I've never had a leaking issue with mine, and this will be my second year with it soon. I hope it holds out. I move it 6 times a year lol.


MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p
A canister huh? I'm guessing like a toms mini or something, sounds sweet. Ya know that's kind of overkill though, you could just get a cheap hob filter and combined with the specs internal filter it would be just fine. You could get a big one like a tetra whisper 20 and mod it to fit, or just get this one that fits with no modification and the best part is it'd only cost you 9 bucks!
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=9821
the inlet on the hob pulls water in and down, the same way the specs design does no custom plumbing required. As you know I am using the filter floss, so I just poked the inlet pipe of the hob through it, but I was thinking it would work great if you froze the foam filter the spec comes with and then drilled a hole for the hob inlet pipe. The canister would be nice for the increased water volume though. You could also do a sump like I'm doing in my thread, with a 1/2" PVC overflow, but if you're moving constantly that would be a pain in the butt.

As for the specs leaking, yes they do tend to leak a tiny bit after a long time of use. The owner of my LFS has had a bunch set up and they all do it after am few years. I bought the spec the day it came out and mine started leaking 6 months ago. It's really not a big deal, just a few drops and once it gets down to about an inch from the rim it stops leaking strangely. I wouldn't go putting it on a mahogany desk or anything is all I'm saying, it's not going to empty itself overnight or anything though.

As for your mini crayfish holding tanks, you can make some DIY tiny sponge filters. Just go get 2 fluval chi filter sponges from petco for 2 bucks each, they're like a round cylinder of foam with the inside drilled out. Then get a short length of tubing the same diameter as the hole in the chi filter sponge (it's the same size as the aqueon water changer tubing cause that's what I used) drill holes in the tubing inside the foam piece so water can get through the foam, and run an airline tube down to the bottom of your brand new 3 dollar sponge filter! You could also run them both off one air pump using a gang valve. Lmk if you want me to snap a pic of my setup like this.
mr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 05:38 AM   #19
MABJ
Invert Warrior
 
MABJ's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 3,883
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2 View Post
A canister huh? I'm guessing like a toms mini or something, sounds sweet. Ya know that's kind of overkill though, you could just get a cheap hob filter and combined with the specs internal filter it would be just fine. You could get a big one like a tetra whisper 20 and mod it to fit, or just get this one that fits with no modification and the best part is it'd only cost you 9 bucks!
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=9821
the inlet on the hob pulls water in and down, the same way the specs design does no custom plumbing required. As you know I am using the filter floss, so I just poked the inlet pipe of the hob through it, but I was thinking it would work great if you froze the foam filter the spec comes with and then drilled a hole for the hob inlet pipe. The canister would be nice for the increased water volume though. You could also do a sump like I'm doing in my thread, with a 1/2" PVC overflow, but if you're moving constantly that would be a pain in the butt.

As for the specs leaking, yes they do tend to leak a tiny bit after a long time of use. The owner of my LFS has had a bunch set up and they all do it after am few years. I bought the spec the day it came out and mine started leaking 6 months ago. It's really not a big deal, just a few drops and once it gets down to about an inch from the rim it stops leaking strangely. I wouldn't go putting it on a mahogany desk or anything is all I'm saying, it's not going to empty itself overnight or anything though.

As for your mini crayfish holding tanks, you can make some DIY tiny sponge filters. Just go get 2 fluval chi filter sponges from petco for 2 bucks each, they're like a round cylinder of foam with the inside drilled out. Then get a short length of tubing the same diameter as the hole in the chi filter sponge (it's the same size as the aqueon water changer tubing cause that's what I used) drill holes in the tubing inside the foam piece so water can get through the foam, and run an airline tube down to the bottom of your brand new 3 dollar sponge filter! You could also run them both off one air pump using a gang valve. Lmk if you want me to snap a pic of my setup like this.
Wow awesome stuff.

Please do lemme know how you do yours. I was just going to buy some online. I don't have a petco around unfortunately.

I'm nervous now! I've never siliconed anything.

The canister isn't toms mini, as I've heard terrible things about it.

It is a zoomed 501! I am planning on yanking the stock filtration, maybe I can use it to fashion a filter for the new tank lol. I'll modify the tubes to fit the spec.

I wanted the extra water volume, extra filtration + mechanical filtration. I'm planning on CRS and I don't like the occasional ammonia spikes I get with the stock filter.


MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p
__________________
|Mossy Bonsai|Almost ADA|DBP Loonnng|CRS Spec|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|Essential tools|List of inverts|Sage advice|Truth About Snails|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 12:48 AM   #20
MABJ
Invert Warrior
 
MABJ's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 3,883
Default

I think I had a smashing success.

I received my zoomed 501 today. It took a learning curve to put it together, figure out how it runs, ect. I assessed the tubes, and I still may cut the rubber tubes, but I used a copper tube cutter to cut my thick plastic pipes.

I measured, measured again, cut them and assembled things. I rinsed the unit out, then I hooked it up with the old filtration system still in place. It works reaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllly well.

I might not even pull the stock pump? Everything seems to be perfect. You be the judge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356050837.868548.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	59272

First picture is before I got it all into position.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356050856.044418.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	59274

Everything is now on and in position.




MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p
__________________
|Mossy Bonsai|Almost ADA|DBP Loonnng|CRS Spec|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|Essential tools|List of inverts|Sage advice|Truth About Snails|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 12:54 AM   #21
MABJ
Invert Warrior
 
MABJ's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 3,883
Default

Part two, got cut off :/

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356051034.877794.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	249.9 KB
ID:	59276

The bar forced me to turn the log a little, but I like it better.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356051110.004481.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	59278

The filter intake is protected in the chamber, and it sucks up the mulm that gets through!

Everything works so perfectly.


MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p
__________________
|Mossy Bonsai|Almost ADA|DBP Loonnng|CRS Spec|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|Essential tools|List of inverts|Sage advice|Truth About Snails|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 01:04 AM   #22
zoragen
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
zoragen's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: N. VA
Posts: 317
Default

Nice tank!

I love the DW
__________________
Eheim Pimp Club #490 Ecco 2232
zoragen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 01:09 AM   #23
MABJ
Invert Warrior
 
MABJ's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 3,883
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoragen View Post
Nice tank!

I love the DW
Thanks so much! Appreciate the compliment.


MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p
__________________
|Mossy Bonsai|Almost ADA|DBP Loonnng|CRS Spec|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|Essential tools|List of inverts|Sage advice|Truth About Snails|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 06:16 AM   #24
mr2
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: ringwood nj
Posts: 177
Default

Looks nice and clean.Perfect placement if you don't get too much flow you could definitely use the fluval stock pump if you wanted.
mr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 06:19 AM   #25
MABJ
Invert Warrior
 
MABJ's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 3,883
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2 View Post
Looks nice and clean.
Thanks verry much! I may have to do this on all my tanks lol. It is good filtration. I'll just need to figure out how to take care of my filter slit now. I need to block it before I get my CRS.


MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p
__________________
|Mossy Bonsai|Almost ADA|DBP Loonnng|CRS Spec|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|Essential tools|List of inverts|Sage advice|Truth About Snails|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 06:20 AM   #26
MABJ
Invert Warrior
 
MABJ's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 3,883
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2 View Post
Perfect placement if you don't get too much flow you could definitely use the fluval stock pump if you wanted.
Awesome! I'm thinking the same thing.

The thing was making a great deal of noise at first, and I was confused... I guess the system was working the air out. It is silent now.


MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p
__________________
|Mossy Bonsai|Almost ADA|DBP Loonnng|CRS Spec|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|Essential tools|List of inverts|Sage advice|Truth About Snails|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #27
MABJ
Invert Warrior
 
MABJ's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 3,883
Default

Everything has been really good so far.

No pics really to update yet, but I tested the water today and it is perfect, 100% ready for CRS ;(


MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p
__________________
|Mossy Bonsai|Almost ADA|DBP Loonnng|CRS Spec|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|Essential tools|List of inverts|Sage advice|Truth About Snails|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #28
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Sake's Avatar
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: st louis missouri
Posts: 861
Default

How did I miss this journal? As far as the stems, I think you're right looks like grass. Any idea on when you'll be ordering the CRS? Why not get some super glue gel and just glue your anubias down? A dab and you're done, that's what I did to mine. They don't have to be glued tightly down just enough to hold it until the roots attach.
__________________
You shouldn't take life to seriously. You'll never get out alive.
Sake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #29
MABJ
Invert Warrior
 
MABJ's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 3,883
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sake View Post
How did I miss this journal? As far as the stems, I think you're right looks like grass. Any idea on when you'll be ordering the CRS? Why not get some super glue gel and just glue your anubias down? A dab and you're done, that's what I did to mine. They don't have to be glued tightly down just enough to hold it until the roots attach.
Hehe I'm just too lazy. Also haven't decided where it should go. Thoughts?

I did that with my other Anubias.

I'll be ordering them as soon as I get the OK from Speedie weather wise, and as soon as I get the cray into his own tank.


MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p
__________________
|Mossy Bonsai|Almost ADA|DBP Loonnng|CRS Spec|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|Essential tools|List of inverts|Sage advice|Truth About Snails|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #30
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Sake's Avatar
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: st louis missouri
Posts: 861
Default

I say glue it on the driftwood right under the water line, where it will emerge, but that would probably be too much light and you'd get algae. Or you could do it on the highest point on your rocks, looks a bit shaded there, I can't really tell from the photos.
__________________
You shouldn't take life to seriously. You'll never get out alive.
Sake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012