Carnivorous Plants Riparium Style?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Riparium Supply

Old 12-03-2012, 02:28 AM   #1
Acro
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

Carnivorous Plants Riparium Style?

Has anyone tried (and had luck) growing Carnivorour Plants in Riparium planters? There seem to be a decent ammount of fish that live in acidic water.
Acro is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 03:17 AM   #2
Crispino L Ramos
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (452/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acro View Post
Has anyone tried (and had luck) growing Carnivorour Plants in Riparium planters? There seem to be a decent ammount of fish that live in acidic water.
Send n_seine a PM, he grows carnivorous plants emersed. http://www.bamaplants.com/

Last edited by Crispino L Ramos; 12-03-2012 at 03:18 AM.. Reason: added link
Crispino L Ramos is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 10:11 PM   #3
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

I've been contemplating this but will only try it on my tropical sundews and pinguiculas (that multiply like crazy) with a high light setup. I suspect the venus flytraps and pitcher plants are very sensitive to dissolved solids and nitrates from fish water.
AirstoND is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (138/100%)

This might work with blackwater fish.

I have found that the best riparium selections are plants that grow pretty fast with lots of foliage to fill in. Most carnivorous plants are pretty spindly--they don't need as much leaf area for making food--so it might be more difficult to get them to look good in a riparium planting. Nevertheless, this could be a nice way to keep a few carnivorous plants in a display with fish.

I suppose you would just want to fill the planter cup with sphagnum moss and maybe something else a little more dense, such as hydroton, to hold the plants in place.
hydrophyte is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
Acro
Planted Tank Obsessed

There are several bog plants (ferns, mosses, grasses and cranberry) that could be used inbetween carnivorous plants to fill in the gaps.

As for under the water, the book "The Complete Aquarium" by Peter W. Scott shows how to setup amazing biotope aquariums and lists several good fish and aquatic plants for acid waters.
Useful biotopes listed in the book include Amazon Rain Forest Acid Pool, West African Floodplain Swamp, and the Amazon Rain Forest Stream. Each of those has a full listing of aquatic plants and fish that live in acid water.
So choosing the right carnivorous plants, aquatic plants and fish, one could make a Carnivorous Acid Water Community Riparium!

Oh boy...I don't know if I have room for another tank!
Old 12-07-2012, 04:20 AM   #6
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acro View Post
There are several bog plants (ferns, mosses, grasses and cranberry) that could be used inbetween carnivorous plants to fill in the gaps.

As for under the water, the book "The Complete Aquarium" by Peter W. Scott shows how to setup amazing biotope aquariums and lists several good fish and aquatic plants for acid waters.
Useful biotopes listed in the book include Amazon Rain Forest Acid Pool, West African Floodplain Swamp, and the Amazon Rain Forest Stream. Each of those has a full listing of aquatic plants and fish that live in acid water.
So choosing the right carnivorous plants, aquatic plants and fish, one could make a Carnivorous Acid Water Community Riparium!

Oh boy...I don't know if I have room for another tank!
Do you know anything specific about tropical carnivorous plants that live in very wet boggy situations? Most of the most obvious choices that I can think of are more like warm temperate plants and I have heard that those species of carnivorous plants require a cool winter rest, which doesn't work very well with an indoors setup.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:21 AM   #7
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Look at this thread...

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...51#post2101751

There are some great pictures in there.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:36 AM   #8
Acro
Planted Tank Obsessed

With a quick look into the book: The Curious World Of Carnivorous Plants" byWilhelm Barthlott, Stefan Porembski, Rudiger Seine, and Inge Theisen. I was able to find the Asian Pitcher Plant Family (Nepenthes). The lowland swamp inhabitants should work, I don't think they sleep half the year. There have to be others as well.

Even for species that take a rest, they would be living 6 months of the year for the riparium keeper to enjoy. The background plants (ferns, mosses, grasses and cranberry) could take centerstage during the winter.

I think this is a very doable project.
Wish I currently had the tank space.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:14 PM   #9
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Generally from what I've found, a mix of dried moss and sand is recommended to sustain the carnivorous plants.

The problem with those that need a rest is the fact that they have to be removed from the tank and refrigerated for a period of at least a month.
Wy Renegade is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 02:40 AM   #10
amphirion
Planted Tank Obsessed

i grow carnivorous plants. just a few things to consider:

be careful when mixing carnivorous plants in a riparium setting...there are a few things that need to be noted before taking this project on. first of all, not all carnivorous plants are capable of being placed into a riparium setting:

highland nepenthes, heliamphora and epiphytic utricularia: all of these need a night time temp drop down to the low 50s (40s if you can afford it) at night. furthermore, these plants require excellent drainage as they live off of cliffsides, or in trees--being waterlogged might not be the best thing for them.

temperate carnivorous plants: (dionaea, utricularia sp, pinguicula sp, sarracenia, drosera) the venus flytrap requires well drained media of about 60-70% sand and 40-30% peat. it does not like to be waterlogged and will rot over time. sarracenia can withstand waterlogged conditions provided that the rhizome stays above the waterline. temperate drosera and pinguicula can also withstand waterlogged conditions as well. however these plants will need to be placed along with high rate nutrient sucking plants and with fish that have a very light bio-load; the reason is because CPs come from acidic as well as nitrogen deficient environments (which is why they need to capture insects in the first place) and have adapted to live in such. a nitrogen rich environment will burn and rot the roots and eventually the entire plant will collapse. furthermore, they require a dormancy during the winter for long term cultivation.

cephalotus, the australian pitcher plant needs to be in elevated areas, and cannot be kept waterlogged unless the water is flushed with O2, and is moving. same with darlingtonia (plus dormancy since it's a temperate)

lowland nepenthes might be your best bet. Nepenthes mirabilis and ampullaria might be suitable for what you are attempting, but do keep in mind they get rather beastly, especially when they start to vine.

petiolaris drosera may also be a viable option. i've seen it done. but those are incredibly rare in the states and often will need to be imported from europe to acquire it.

another option is to have some sort of solid, impenetrable barrier between water and land, cover it up with rocks. that way you might be able to grow subtropical drosera, pinguicula, sarracenias, pretty much everything you'd want save those that need a temp drop at night.
best of luck....

PS: there's always UG and gibba.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #11
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

If you try that, be aware that water will leach over the top of the barrier through the rock via capillary action if the the rocks extend from sediment layer to sediment layer.
Wy Renegade is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #12
bbroush
Algae Grower

Was anyone able to pull this off in a riparium? I'd love to see pictures.
bbroush is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #13
Acro
Planted Tank Obsessed

I don't know of anyone who's tried it yet.
Step up bbroush and take on the challange!
Old 06-11-2013, 01:48 AM   #14
MMantelli
Algae Grower

One of those mabey plants might get a chance to thrive in my riparium. Mabey we will see one day.
MMantelli is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 02:05 AM   #15
PunknDestroy
Planted Tank Obsessed

From my experience growing carnivorous plants many would not do well in a riparium. They are extremely prone to root burn from their soil having too much nitrogen. That's why they became carnivorous in the first place. The bogs and swamps they come from have very nutrient poor mediums.
PunknDestroy is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.