Malaysian Trumpet Snails Dying?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 12-12-2012, 04:40 AM   #1
Raaan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Malaysian Trumpet Snails Dying?

I'm down to three (from five) Malaysian Trumpet Snails over the course of a few months. I originally had two of them in a ten gallon with celestial pearl danios and sparkling gouramis. They would spend most of the time on the glass at the surface of the water until one day they wouldn't come out of their shells. They stayed in their shells for about two weeks so I figured the danios might be picking on them and I put them with the other three in my five gallon tank with yellow shrimp and micro crabs.

They moved around for a bit, but now won't come out of their shells again except for brief periods, they'll hang their bodies halfway out all curled up, and I've noticed the "foot" appears to be turning orange/white. The two died after I moved them, though I've had few problems with the shrimp and none with the crabs.

In both of these tanks I'm using iron slag as a substrate. Is it possible that this isn't appropriate for snails to be crawling on? Perhaps the grains are too rough/sharp?

Tank Specs:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: <10
Bi-weekly 20% water changes
No CO2, no fertilizers, nothing with copper. I don't have a harness test at the moment, but the water is hard enough to leave some pretty bad scale on the tanks if I let it evaporate past the trim.

Here are some pictures, hopefully they illustrate what I mean about their behavior.

Raaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 07:18 AM   #2
Raaan
Algae Grower

Nobody? They're in the same state of affairs right now. I'm not sure how long they'll live like this.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
aokashi
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

do you know your pH and hardness?
aokashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:01 AM   #4
Raaan
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
do you know your pH and hardness?
pH is 7.6. I don't have a hardness test, all I know is that the water is hard enough to leave scale when it evaporates, and I haven't had hardness-related issues with the shrimp in the same tank.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:26 AM   #5
Curt_Planted
Algae Grower

I'm curious to see whats causing this as I am having the same issue. Ever since I switch substrates I've had to start cleaning the glass and the only mts I see are dead on the surface of the gravel. I used to be able to watch the gravel shift during the day as they burrowed under it. I'm wondering if the new gravel I got is bad for them in some way....
Curt_Planted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:41 AM   #6
the_Chad
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Hmmm, I could never keep a snail alive for the life of me for the longest time. My LFS suggested Calcium blocks from Zoo Med. I purchase them in bulk now so I am not sure exactly the name. But they are usually a pinkish color little block. Snails, plecos, and some inverts will eat them. It adds calcium to snails diet which is needed for shell growth. Also adds planton/algae's to the snails diet. I usually smash a couple up and add them to my planted 140 every other week or so. Now I have large purple and white Mystery snails and an army of Trumpet snails. IDK , it may work for you too.
the_Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:43 PM   #7
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Huh, that's odd. I doubt it's hardness/pH, as I think that just increases shell erosion, and is a longer term problem.

I doubt it's copper, since I think the shrimp and crabs would probably be more affected by it.

I have no idea, as I've just tossed a couple in my tanks (while cycling), and eventually end up with quite a surplus.

Have you ever dosed any sort of medication in the tank?
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:43 PM   #8
ljapa
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Anti-snail chemicals placed on the plants at some point?

Where did the plants come from and how long have you had them?
ljapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:08 AM   #9
chibikaie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

What, precisely, do you mean by iron slag? I wonder if there's something leaching out of it that is more toxic to this species than to the shrimp.

On the other hand, you may simply have received sick snails. It doesn't sound as if they were ever healthy during the entire time that you've had them, and as snails can be extremely tough, they may just be taking this long to die.
chibikaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:52 AM   #10
Kat12
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

does your house have copper pipes?
Kat12 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
mts