aquarium stand in raw industrial style - Page 13
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 06:57 AM   #181
golfer_d
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 181
Default

I am wanting to build a stand like this but the local Home Depot does not carry the connectors for the 4 x 4 just the 2 x 4 corner connector. I could order the bench making kit online to get the 4 x 4 connectors but with shipping etc to Canada it would be around $75.

I have a 10 gallon tank (standard starter) that I want to place on it at one end and then possibly a smaller shrimp bowl at the other end (total length of the stand about 32" and a depth of about 12 to 14"). This idea kind of defeats the purpose of the weight being focused on the corner beams so I am not sure if I should do that or just stick with the dimensions of the tank for size.

I notice AnotherHobby used braces in the middle along with a top piece for a 12 gallon so would I be able to do something similar even though I would only be using say 2 x 4 as my corner posts? Seems all the weight would then be on the top and the middle brackets? I am not sure how weight gets deflected down which is why I am asking.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
golfer_d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #182
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru
 
AnotherHobby's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Apple Valley, MN
Posts: 1,595
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer_d View Post
I am wanting to build a stand like this but the local Home Depot does not carry the connectors for the 4 x 4 just the 2 x 4 corner connector. I could order the bench making kit online to get the 4 x 4 connectors but with shipping etc to Canada it would be around $75.

I have a 10 gallon tank (standard starter) that I want to place on it at one end and then possibly a smaller shrimp bowl at the other end (total length of the stand about 32" and a depth of about 12 to 14"). This idea kind of defeats the purpose of the weight being focused on the corner beams so I am not sure if I should do that or just stick with the dimensions of the tank for size.

I notice AnotherHobby used braces in the middle along with a top piece for a 12 gallon so would I be able to do something similar even though I would only be using say 2 x 4 as my corner posts? Seems all the weight would then be on the top and the middle brackets? I am not sure how weight gets deflected down which is why I am asking.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
If you want the 4x4 connectors (which look way better IMHO), I bet your local Home Depot can special order the part for you. They can almost always do that — just go to their special order service desk.

Also, weight will not be an issue with a 10 gallon however you do it. The top I made with the cross beams under is is incredibly strong, and 2x4 legs would be no problem — 100 pounds is nothing to it.

Regarding size, 14" depth is the absolute minimum you can make this stand because of the size of the brackets. Look at my pictures and you'll see the brackets are about 1/16" from touching. That's with 14" depth.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #183
golfer_d
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 181
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherHobby View Post
If you want the 4x4 connectors (which look way better IMHO), I bet your local Home Depot can special order the part for you. They can almost always do that just go to their special order service desk.

Also, weight will not be an issue with a 10 gallon however you do it. The top I made with the cross beams under is is incredibly strong, and 2x4 legs would be no problem 100 pounds is nothing to it.

Regarding size, 14" depth is the absolute minimum you can make this stand because of the size of the brackets. Look at my pictures and you'll see the brackets are about 1/16" from touching. That's with 14" depth.
Thanks mate! I agree that the 4x4 look will be much better than the 2x4 but I was curious how the other would turn out. The price seems to be the same for the bracket part but the 4x4 would be more expensive than the 2x4 but I think the look is best. I just need to find a cheaper 4x4 as I plan to paint the stand black so no sense spending more on a nice grained wood (western red cedar) if I am not staining it. I am new to all of this though so I am not even sure if I can find a cheaper 4x4!??

For some reason I am always worried that the stand won't be able to hold a 10 gallon tank. I shouldn't be when I see how cheaply made a lot of the LFS stands are and what they hold.
golfer_d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #184
Droyer
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 53
Default

Just got a 75 gallon and need to get/build a stand. Using this stand design would it be able to support a 75 gallon?
Droyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #185
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru
 
AnotherHobby's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Apple Valley, MN
Posts: 1,595
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droyer View Post
Just got a 75 gallon and need to get/build a stand. Using this stand design would it be able to support a 75 gallon?
Yes. I think it could easily support my VW.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #186
Droyer
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherHobby View Post
Yes. I think it could easily support my VW.
Thank you! Now its time to hit up a hardware store
Droyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 10:19 PM   #187
golfer_d
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 181
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
I'm building another one of these for my 65G.

This time I am using the Strong-Ties that hold the vertical 2 X 4s, instead of 4 X 4s. I'm going to paint the boards a nice color like dark sap green or purple or something like that.
I am curious how this turned out. Hope you can post some photos if you have it completed!
golfer_d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #188
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (143/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 9,583
Default

Here's a lighting solution that should look good with this kind of stand. I have a quick description of how I put it together over in my Mr. Aqua 11.4 journal... http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=199656&page=3

hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #189
sdylanh
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 84
Default

I can post more detail later, but I wanted to throw in some pics of my mostly finished stand for my 55g very obviously inspired by this thread. I'll be happy to answer any questions about the process.






Last edited by sdylanh; 01-01-2013 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: picture
sdylanh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 03:50 AM   #190
sdylanh
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 84
Default

Finally figured out how to make the pictures work...

sdylanh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #191
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru
 
AnotherHobby's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Apple Valley, MN
Posts: 1,595
Default

Cool! Interesting take on it. I'm still not sure if I'm going to do doors or a curtain down below on mine, but the doors look good. I like how you did the lights too.

I recently made an integrated support for my CO2 cylinder. It supports the tank and keeps it from falling over, and it lowers it down so I can see the gauges easier.



AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #192
golfer_d
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 181
Default

Has anyone done this type of build with the 2x4's as the legs instead of 4x4 (and has photos to show what it looks like)?

I am curious as I can't find the connectors in the 4x4 dimension and well 2x4's are cheaper than 4x4's (I plan to paint the stand black so spending extra on nice 4x4's for staining is pointless).
golfer_d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #193
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru
 
AnotherHobby's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Apple Valley, MN
Posts: 1,595
Default

I don't think that 2x4 will look anywhere near as good. You mentioned above that your HD caries the 2x4 connectors, which means they can get Simpson connectors easily. You could just go to the service desk and ask them to order them for you. It should be no problem for them.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 08:00 PM   #194
golfer_d
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 181
Default

I agree that it might not look as good with the 2x4 but hydrophyte said his looked alright but didn't have any photos.

Was just curious and I am thinking it might be overkill and expensive for just a 10 gallon tank.
golfer_d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #195
golfer_d
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 181
Default

I may also go with a modified version of this. Not as long as she built it but I think I could fit my 10 gallon on it as well as my planted bowl. Of course I would need some cross beams under the top if my 10 gallon tank was not resting directly on corners of the stand.

http://ana-white.com/2012/05/plans/rustic-x-console
golfer_d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012