Hey guys check out my new project! 4x nano tank! UPDATE, NOW A 5X nano with saltwater - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 12-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #46
mr2
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnphil View Post
How big is that salt tank?
This is a Condy?(min 30g)
As long you realize that anemone barely fit in a 10g add one fish and your maintenance will be an everyday business....
GL
Its only 2 gallons so I am way beyond pushing the limits, but I do a daily 25% wc and really keep up with maintenance so we will see if I get away with it! I do not plan to add any fish, maybe a cleaner shrimp or some of those super shrimp or a porcelain crab or something.
mr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #47
mr2
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manzpants92 View Post
Really cool idea man. Never would of thought to do this. A cool idea might be to go from left to right and flow tank 1 to tank 2 and so on in design
Thought about it but if I do that all the tanks will share the same water, and the cool thing about this setup is that you can have 5 very different tanks all with different parameters which allows for more flexibility and variety. Thats actually why I went with individual filters and heaters as well, I was initially thinking of doing a sump or splitting up the intake and outflow of a canister filter for all the tanks but decided this way is cooler because I can be a mad scientist and try all my experiments... I can also set up a hospital tank in a hurry if need be.

Last edited by mr2; 12-10-2012 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: .
Old 12-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #48
mr2
Planted Member

Uodate:
Picked up an anenome crab and the two are best friends now. new re scape

Tank one is now filled and cycling with a well used filter cartridge in the whisper 20. I have 4 painted white skirt tetras in there temporarily.
Tank 2 is looking really good, the Xmas moss is growing like wildfire and the shrimp and endlers seem happy.
Tank 4 is a disaster. 2.5 gallons with DIY co2 has been a nightmare, the fluctuation is insane and the co2 spikes like crazy. I tried adding whey to the yeast and sugar to stabilize the mixture a little more, and switched to injecting the co2 into the hob intake for less efficient diffusion to prevent gassing the lone female endler that lives there. I had a bga infection in this tank that I solved with hydrogen peroxide and 2 50% wc in 2 days apart, but now it is cloudy, I believe it is re cycling.
Tank 5 has a new inhabitant, a baby betta from petco. This tank also got bga after the blackout but only a little on the moss, so manual removal and a bit of peroxide sent it packing and now it is looking much better and growing in nicely.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #49
mr2
Planted Member

I am going to scrap one of the tanks to turn it into a refugium for the spec... Which one would you guys vote to re do into a fuge?
Old 12-16-2012, 11:19 PM   #50
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)

The one on the left with the clown puke gravel and the white skirt tetras It is my least favorite hahah!
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:59 PM   #51
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

only thing i would suggest is not keeping the yellow and red shrimp together over time you will love the bright colors and end up with brown shrimp cause they cross breed back to wild color
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:42 AM   #52
jarvitron
Algae Grower

I recommend putting even more types of shrimp in there because they'll keep doing interesting things pretty much forever and have weird looking babies and those will be fun to look at too.
jarvitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:45 AM   #53
MABJ
Invert Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarvitron View Post
I recommend putting even more types of shrimp in there because they'll keep doing interesting things pretty much forever and have weird looking babies and those will be fun to look at too.
Yeah not so much with neos. These just go back to wild types like Wicca said.

I would not do this ^ especially if you want to keep a certain color.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p
Old 12-17-2012, 03:16 AM   #54
vvDO
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabj View Post
the one on the left with the clown puke gravel and the white skirt tetras it is my least favorite hahah!
+1!
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
vvDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:19 AM   #55
Cavedweller
Algae Grower

Love that anemone.

I've been pondering a way to incorporate a few pieces from my rock collection into a tank. This thread might be just the inspiration I needed. Also if you can get me a clear shot of that black mystery crystal I may be able to identify it.
Cavedweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:28 AM   #56
mr2
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
The one on the left with the clown puke gravel and the white skirt tetras It is my least favorite hahah!
Although it is my least favorite too and will most likely become a fuge, it actually looks better in person than in pictures. I have a red LED spotlight that for the night cycle and it looks badass shimmering on the crystals at night.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:31 AM   #57
mr2
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
only thing i would suggest is not keeping the yellow and red shrimp together over time you will love the bright colors and end up with brown shrimp cause they cross breed back to wild color
Thanks for the tip I did not know that. Luckily I'm not trying to breed them or anything, I wouldn't mind a wild type look combined with some of those least killis mabj had, i think that would look cool in tank 2.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:35 AM   #58
mr2
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavedweller View Post
Love that anemone.

I've been pondering a way to incorporate a few pieces from my rock collection into a tank. This thread might be just the inspiration I needed. Also if you can get me a clear shot of that black mystery crystal I may be able to identify it.
Thanks he is the coolest critter I ever bought for 7 bucks thats for sure! glad I could contribute to you trying something new. Just be careful obviously certain rocks are not aquarium safe.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:58 AM   #59
mr2
Planted Member

Ok so clown puke tank is going bye bye. I want to do a nice refugium With macroalgae and maybe mangroves, linked to the spec like this. Anyone who has done sumps, will a bulkhead in the plastic separator inside the spec work?

The red tube is the siphon and the blue is an airline run down PVC tubing to create a simple air lift pump that drains into the spec.

Or should I go with a traditional overflow, or try to drill the tank?

Last edited by mr2; 12-17-2012 at 04:07 AM.. Reason: .
Old 12-17-2012, 04:07 AM   #60
MABJ
Invert Warrior

Good luck!!! I've never done this before so you'll get help from others glad you picked this tank.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p