ADA rocks at landscape supply places? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 09-01-2008, 02:04 AM   #16
windfish
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

I visited the Dallas Bonsai warehouse a few weekends ago, before I left for school.

The guy there was totally unhelpful and even a bit of a jerk... they had some medium rocks that looked a lot like Seiryu stone, but they wanted 150.00-200.00 PER STONE, and they wouldn't let me touch them. I asked to see the black granite they listed on the website and they brought out something he called "whisky rock". I don't even think it was a natural rock... very ugly stuff.
windfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2008, 07:42 PM   #17
thief
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

Good job you are doing there guys.

Lol about a month back I did like 8 hours of research on these rare rocks. I came up with a lot of info.

Also a while back i talked with screename who was selling about 1000lbs of seiryu stones. He told me that he got all the stones from a neighbor where the rocks were just piled up and sitting there. The Neighbors husband unfortunately no longer with us and he was the one who went to China and got the stones and shipped about 10000 lbs back.

Also I have done a lot of research on Manten stone.

Unfortunately I don't think I have a lot of links to what I found. I will post what I have later on though to add to this.

Also Discus I would love to hear more about your findings.
thief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 02:30 AM   #18
Phusis_Eidos
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief View Post
Good job you are doing there guys.

Lol about a month back I did like 8 hours of research on these rare rocks. I came up with a lot of info.

Also a while back i talked with screename who was selling about 1000lbs of seiryu stones. He told me that he got all the stones from a neighbor where the rocks were just piled up and sitting there. The Neighbors husband unfortunately no longer with us and he was the one who went to China and got the stones and shipped about 10000 lbs back.

Also I have done a lot of research on Manten stone.

Unfortunately I don't think I have a lot of links to what I found. I will post what I have later on though to add to this.

Also Discus I would love to hear more about your findings.

Any update on more findings? Im trying to find a place to source ADA like stones in NJ. The closes I have is Moss, rock or gray stone.

"Natures
Form"

Phusis_Eidos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 03:12 AM   #19
Axelrodi202
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

Anyone have any information on maten-seki stone?
\_\
Axelrodi202 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 11:31 PM   #20
Phusis_Eidos
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phusis_Eidos View Post
Any update on more findings? Im trying to find a place to source ADA like stones in NJ. The closes I have is Moss, rock or gray stone.
Bump

"Natures
Form"

Phusis_Eidos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 03:53 AM   #21
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Look in all the landscape, masonry, soils, brick... yards anywhere near you.
Many of the stones are shipped all over the USA, and the more unusual (read high priced) are shipped from all over the world.

The rock yards will call the rock by all sorts of different names.
You simply have to go see what they have. No use making phone calls, and do not ask for any rock by any name known in the aquarium trade.

Sometimes you will get a really knowledgeable person who can tell you some of the alternate names of a rock as it may be known in the landscape trade. You might use that name when calling some other store.

I do not know the geological origins of most of the rocks, but getting a sample to test is a good idea.
If you have traveled a ways and need to know right away you could carry with you some acid such as the API nitrate test. If I remember correctly bottle #1 is acid that is strong enough to react with limestone and related rock.
For rock yards that are closer you could bring some zip lock baggies with you and a Sharpie pen. Look on the ground around the rock and pick up some scraps. Label it with where you got the rock and what they call it. When you return home test with acid, and also put the bits into a jar of water and test GH, KH, pH and TDS after a few days.

The more specialized the store the more expensive the rock will be. A store that sells by the truck load may also sell by the bag or by the pound. A store that only sells by the pound will usually charge more per pound. Highly likely they just went to the same rock yard to get it.
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.