Filter Question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 10-15-2003, 02:11 AM   #1
Alexiel

PTrader: (0/0%)

Which type of filter is the best for a 55 gallon planted tank. I have fish in this tank and i don't want to hurt the fish. Right now I have an undergravel filter and a basic overhead one.
Alexiel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2003, 02:19 AM   #2
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Guttboy

Hi and welcome!

First off what you have will not hurt your fish assuming that your overhead one is not sucking up your fish now :lol: .

For planted tanks you will probably find that UGF's are NOT the way to go. Too many roots getting messed up in there when they get going.

Alot of people here use Cannister filters such as the Eheim products or the Rena FILSTAR XP series. Others use AQUACLEAR filters that hang on the back.

These will not harm fish at all...however, if you are trying to raise babies (fry) then you will need some sort of barrier to increase the surface area of the intake thus reducing the "suction" so that they wont get ingested into the filter.

That help a bit?

Mike

10 Gallon...20 Endler's live bearers planted, peat/kitty litter/sand substrate

15 Gallon...Just Schultz Aquatic Plant soil
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2003, 02:36 AM   #3
Alexiel

yes that helps alot. are those filters avail. every where or special order?
Alexiel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2003, 02:54 AM   #4
DLeDeaux
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via ICQ to DLeDeaux Send a message via AIM to DLeDeaux Send a message via MSN to DLeDeaux

I have had experience with 3 basic filter types.

When I was 12 I had a tank that had an undergravel filter. The only plants I had were some anacharis I found at our local lake. At that time I had no knowledge of any other filter types, and wasn't too concerned with it making a meager $10 every week from allowance. But looking back fondly on those days I can recall some things I didn't really like about it. Mainly the fact that I went through several air pumps. The flappers in the air pumps always seemed to go out and then they would get noisy. In general though they were always noisy with the air bubbles and the air pump.

Fast forward 15 or so years and my first experience with hang on back filters occurs. These are a vast improvement on undergravel filters. There is less noise, and to date, no parts that have needed replacement on any that I have owned. Depending on the model though, there is some impeller noise, and if the water level even gets a little below the output of the filter, you get the water trickle sound. Also, because of their design, they move a lot of surface water which can dispell CO2.

A few years later, I have my first experience with a cannister filter. In my mind, these are the ultimate in affordable filtration. There is absolutely no noise. Totally silent. With independant intake and powerhead, you can position them however you like and minimize surface agitation. Additionally, many filter cannisters have very configurable media trays. You can run a variety of filter medias or "water conditioners" to suite your needs. Water conditioners being peat moss, crushed coral, phosphate absorbers, etc.

There are of course many other filter options but those are the most commonly used.

All views express above are soley the opinions of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the forum.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:02 AM   #5
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Guttboy

alexiel,

Try www.bigalsonline.com or http://www.drsfostersmith.com

Both will give you good ideas on prices for filters...I have had really good luck with both places.

Mike

10 Gallon...20 Endler's live bearers planted, peat/kitty litter/sand substrate

15 Gallon...Just Schultz Aquatic Plant soil
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2003, 04:25 AM   #6
metallhd
Algae Grower

Alexiel - I have found the new Fuval filters really nice - they're customizable in terms of filter media, powerful and cheap - I run a Fluval 3 series in my 33 with an Aquaclear Mini stuck on the side and it works just great, they're also very quiet - the hard thing is conditioning yourself to stick your hand in the water when the thing is in there running. Good luck, and be careful with Big Al's - the online product descriptions are sometimes a little lacking - best to talk to someone knowledgeable!
metallhd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.