Coincidental Success: Kiran's Do!Aqua 20cm Wabi Kusa Cube - Page 9
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-03-2012, 01:40 AM   #121
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)

I think that's the way to go. Right now, it's nothing special to look at, which to me, is weird. Everything I have is special to look at

Toying with the idea of converting to a mini CRS playground with akadama and ceramic tubes, moss on mesh, cholla, all the little things that make a shrimp tank a shrimp tank. For at least the time being, though, it will remain the same. If I changed it up, I don't know what I'd do with the Wabi Kusa.
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 01:45 AM   #122
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (427/100%)

You'd sell the WK or trade it, of course! Bet it would also look cool in a tall vase with some pool filter sand in the bottom of it.

It could look interesting with Akadama. Small, rimless tanks and light-colored substrates like that look great together for some reason.

Akadama, a nice burl of Malaysian driftwood with lots of hidey holes, moss and such could be stunning. You've got the aesthetic eye so you could definitely make it look better than most.

I definitely don't need more tanks - though I am tempted to buy up tons of these little cubes - so I have to live vicariously through this journal.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:59 AM   #123
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Oh, I know that I could do that, but I like this one too much! I have so many emmersed Wabi Kusa that it's nice to have a submerged one to compare with.

This scape still has potential, so I'll play it by ear and decide once the hydrocotyle and blyxa grow out. One other possibility I was thinking of was a simple carpeted square. Nothing but HC, glosso, or HM. With some striking CRS, it could be pretty sweet. I don't know really what I'll do with this tank, but in the meantime, I'll just keep it up as it is, seeing as I don't really need to do much for it!
Old 12-03-2012, 02:01 AM   #124
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Good call.

And when you finally end up with more free time, you can just buy three or four more identical tanks and line them up on a cool shelving unit.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:24 AM   #125
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Good call.

And when you finally end up with more free time, you can just buy three or four more identical tanks and line them up on a cool shelving unit.
Lol, not enough time or space! Besides, I need to start thinking about minimizing my tanks for when I go off to college in less than two years.

Here's a little update of the tank. It's looking much brighter now that I've added some new plants, mostly Blyxa. Let me know how you guys feel about it!

Old 12-15-2012, 02:29 AM   #126
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geniusdudekiran View Post
Lol, not enough time or space! Besides, I need to start thinking about minimizing my tanks for when I go off to college in less than two years.

Here's a little update of the tank. It's looking much brighter now that I've added some new plants, mostly Blyxa. Let me know how you guys feel about it!
why on earth would you minimize for college. keep em, and dont let the RA see em. they are surprisingly less understanding of the violation of "no pets" than of underage drinking (ask me if im involved in that, and ill plead the 5th).
just make sure your roommate doesnt mind. i kept a 5 gal on my desk in the dorm last year. this year im in a college apartment with 3 other guys and have a 5 gal, 20 gal, and will have a betta spawn in a 10 gal in a bit.
the RA actually saw the 20 gal, and reminded me that pets are not allowed; i explained to him that i grow and sell aquatic plants, and there are no animal in it and invited him in to see. it was cycling at the time so there were no fish. now there is no suspicion.

loving the tank.
this is low-light/tech? could never tell...
great job.
but guess what, this filter intake needs cleaning too. lol
Old 12-15-2012, 02:35 AM   #127
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)

Coming from an RA, we don't like to, but we kinda have to enforce policy. Certain things take precedence, but we try to treat everything equally. I will say if you had tanks, your RA saw them, as most colleges do 3-5 dorm checks a year.

For my school and many others, fish are more than encouraged! We have a lot of bio students who catch, observe and release from the river next to our school.

A note on roommates-- be very cautious. Unless you become an RA and live alone, or just put up the money, most roommates like to fiddle with your tanks and pets at some point. Look for "They looked hungry don't be mad bro," if you don't lay out rules first like already stated lol.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #128
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Have you toyed around with a background? Maybe try a few different colors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geniusdudekiran View Post
Let me know how you guys feel about it!

Old 12-16-2012, 02:15 AM   #129
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Okay. This thread has convinced me to get one of these little cubes.

What would you get, Kiran, the 20-C or 25-C (if you could find them stocked somewhere)?

I've got a bunch of Red Sea Nano Filters, some 13W Fluval lamps, pressurized CO2 and such. Thinking of going high-tech with a couple little cubes because they'll be easier to trim than another giant tank.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:30 AM   #130
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Funny, I was just about to come back here and reply to your last post but you've already come back for more!

With regards to the first: great idea, I don't know why I never got a background for this tank. I'll probably go with the obligatory white.

And the second: I'm excited to see this. To me, the 20-C is a perfect and unique size. There are a lot more 25 cm tanks (or tanks closer to that size) than 20 cm tanks. Plus, I'm a sucker for going as small as possible. Anyone who keeps up with my journals as much as you do should know that

I actually got three guppies for this tank while doing some Christmas shopping this evening. Nothing special, but I actually kind of like that. They're pretty assorted, and if (when, ha!) they breed, It'll be interesting to see what pops out. I'll probably post pics tomorrow.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:25 AM   #131
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

guppies huh?
they are cool fish. kept em for years.
had em in a 6 gallon eclipse for a good five years or so. the tank was beyond overstocked and i would always sell of the biggest ones as they grew. after they finally died out after i upgraded to a 20 gallon (huge infection, everything died), they were essentially a dwarfed variety, and the males only grew to be an inch or so long. all kinds of different colors though.
so since you also keep nanos, try selecting for the smallest adults. eventually youll get a strain that produces small fish that you can keep more of, and are more to-scale with the tank.
just a thought.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #132
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

White background could look pretty cool. I don't think the intake tube would be too distracting.

Guppies are the nicest in smaller tanks, so they don't get lost in the aquascape. Same for Endlers. Looking forward to the photos.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:53 PM   #133
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
guppies huh?
they are cool fish. kept em for years.
had em in a 6 gallon eclipse for a good five years or so. the tank was beyond overstocked and i would always sell of the biggest ones as they grew. after they finally died out after i upgraded to a 20 gallon (huge infection, everything died), they were essentially a dwarfed variety, and the males only grew to be an inch or so long. all kinds of different colors though.
so since you also keep nanos, try selecting for the smallest adults. eventually youll get a strain that produces small fish that you can keep more of, and are more to-scale with the tank.
just a thought.
Thanks for the advice. It's so cool that one can create their own strain in a short amount of time through selective breeding and culling in the hobby, even in just a few gallons of water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
White background could look pretty cool. I don't think the intake tube would be too distracting.

Guppies are the nicest in smaller tanks, so they don't get lost in the aquascape. Same for Endlers. Looking forward to the photos.
I'll probably try this today. Will post pics when I do.

Yep, I would agree. Very cool little fish. Although, I must inform you with shame that I lost two of them overnight -- my carpet seems to be nicer than my tank to the guppies...
Old 12-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #134
rainbuilder
Pigeon Enthusiast

PTrader: (28/100%)

Looking really good! This tank is turning out nice. I like guppies, I actually sort of have my own strain of half blacks with all kinds of tail colors with spots on them. Nothing crazy but I like them and they look pretty cool if I do say so myself. What colors did you get?
RAOK Club #38
Fraternity of Dirt #91
45 gallon hexagon 'Smooth Hillside'
rainbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:18 PM   #135
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbuilder View Post
Looking really good! This tank is turning out nice. I like guppies, I actually sort of have my own strain of half blacks with all kinds of tail colors with spots on them. Nothing crazy but I like them and they look pretty cool if I do say so myself. What colors did you get?
Thanks Brady! Sounds really cool, send me some photos! I got one yellow, one blue/orange, and one orange. All that is left is the orange one