Evilbay search wildcard removal
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > Other Websites

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-14-2012, 02:00 AM   #1
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Default Evilbay search wildcard removal

Some of you knew exactly what this thread was about after reading the title. Some of you realize what it's about when you see the symbol "*" in the context of the Evilbay search engine. Others are still lost. No worries.

But I wanted to start a thread (which, hopefully, is not in violation of any forum rule) about the fairly new unavailability of an asterisk in Evilbay search engine tools.

I'm not trying to start a venting thread - you can find plenty of those with a simple search. I've read through some of the discussions of the removal of the "*" in searches. I don't understand, or accept, the reasoning for its removal, but that doesn't matter. What I'd like to know is if there are some shortcuts, or work-arounds, that I haven't heard about or understood.

Take this for example: I can no longer search for a certain set of models of MAC solenoid valves. Specifically, anything with the model numbers of 35A-AAA-DF*, many of which are low-wattage solenoid valves, perfectly suited for our uses. If that "F" is followed by A, B, E, or F, it will work for us with minimal modification.

A month ago, a search for "35A-AAA-DFB*" would give me every model with those letters/numerals and everything that follows. Now, that search, with or without the "*", gives me zero results, while searching for "35A-AAA-DFBA" - with just the extra "A" - gives me 4 results. Note: there are *many* possible model numbers with the aforementioned number/letter sets. Also note: a missed model number is "35A-AAA-DFBA-0CA", and the "-" adds some extra complication.

Anyway, please, tell me what I'm missing. Hopefully, it's a strategy by Evilbay that will backfire and they'll reinstate the beautiful asterisk. If not, I need to know the secret handshake that will allow me to keep seeing what I'm looking for.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote