So Maybe I Have A (20L) Shrimp Problem… - Page 16
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #226
sayurasem
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)

Aquasoil you know it
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 10:55 PM   #227
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (426/100%)

Yeah... guess I need to drop the $100 and get it. Not looking forward to that or the time it will take to cycle the tank.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:12 AM   #228
ikuzo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo

can salvinia natans roots grow like that?
Old 12-13-2012, 12:14 AM   #229
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Salvinia roots are longer than Duckweed roots. So the roots would be much longer than the ones in those images.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:57 AM   #230
phoenixkiller
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)

I cannot believe I just read this entire thread... took me half an hour, and I test in the 95 percentile for fast reading. That's impressive.

LOVE the way the moss grows so fast in the PRL tank!! No ferts, no CO2, just growing? Wow.

How long are you expecting the tank with AS to cycle? I have a 10 gallon just started cycling, that info would help.

Definitely some of the most beautiful shrimp I have ever seen. Definitely lemme know if you are gonna sell in smaller quantities.

Funny question for ya, my cycling 10g (Mentioned above), the pH is like, 6.0. The kit doesn't read any lower. Any reason for that? 2 or so inches of the AS, 6.5 or so pH RO water, treated with Prime and Bee Shrimp Mineral GH+. Got any ideas?

You seem like one of the best CRS breeders out there, lol. If you can check out my newest tank journal for CRS, that would be great! Here's a link:

http://http://www.plantedtank.net/fo...d.php?t=199815

Subscribing to your thread!!
Grow shrimp twice
phoenixkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #231
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

One of the best breeders? HA! I appreciate the kind words but I'm just like everyone else on the forum - a hobbyist. I may breed more than the importers but it's just for fun.

Aquasoil tanks usually take 4-6 weeks to be ready for shrimp. That's about how long I cycle all my other shrimp tanks regardless of substrate (when the tank is new), so it's not too much of a hassle.

Crystals will do fine in pH of 5-6.5, so I wouldn't worry about it. There's no need to treat RO/DI water with prime, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixkiller View Post
I cannot believe I just read this entire thread... took me half an hour, and I test in the 95 percentile for fast reading. That's impressive.

LOVE the way the moss grows so fast in the PRL tank!! No ferts, no CO2, just growing? Wow.

How long are you expecting the tank with AS to cycle? I have a 10 gallon just started cycling, that info would help.

Definitely some of the most beautiful shrimp I have ever seen. Definitely lemme know if you are gonna sell in smaller quantities.

Funny question for ya, my cycling 10g (Mentioned above), the pH is like, 6.0. The kit doesn't read any lower. Any reason for that? 2 or so inches of the AS, 6.5 or so pH RO water, treated with Prime and Bee Shrimp Mineral GH+. Got any ideas?

You seem like one of the best CRS breeders out there, lol. If you can check out my newest tank journal for CRS, that would be great! Here's a link:

http://http://www.plantedtank.net/fo...d.php?t=199815

Subscribing to your thread!!
Old 12-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #232
phoenixkiller
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
One of the best breeders? HA! I appreciate the kind words but I'm just like everyone else on the forum - a hobbyist. I may breed more than the importers but it's just for fun.

Aquasoil tanks usually take 4-6 weeks to be ready for shrimp. That's about how long I cycle all my other shrimp tanks regardless of substrate (when the tank is new), so it's not too much of a hassle.

Crystals will do fine in pH of 5-6.5, so I wouldn't worry about it. There's no need to treat RO/DI water with prime, though.
Not the right wording, I was just quickly typing some stuff so I could get some sleep. I should have said "You look like you know what you are doing, so...". I sure want to be able to have a bustling CRS colony like yours, that's all I was trying to say.

Eh, that's how long I thought all tanks took to cycle. On my first tank I didn't know about cycling at all and therefore didn't measure the cycling process time, and I insta-cycled my 55 and other 10g with seeded media (Took only a few days with each, mini-cycle only, no major cycle).

I really don't mean to thread-jack, but one more question: I always thought if pH bottomed out, it would stall the cycle, is that true?? I don't want the cycle to take longer than it has to.

Thanks bro!

P.S. lemme know if you ever have clippings of the moss, looks better than ADA tanks... beautiful!!!
Grow shrimp twice
Old 12-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #233
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Bacterial development may slow a bit but it won't stop.

Shrimp nerds routinely cycle tanks at 5 pH without an issue. Just have to have patience.

Quote:
I always thought if pH bottomed out, it would stall the cycle, is that true?? I don't want the cycle to take longer than it has to.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #234
phoenixkiller
Planted Tank Guru

Ahh patience... Why is it the thing I have an abnormal shortage of? Bad hobby for a guy sick with add-cool-shrimp-now syndrome lol.
Grow shrimp twice
Old 12-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #235
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Even if you could get your tank cycled in a couple days, I'd still recommend running things (adding ammonia for the bacteria) for 4-6 weeks before adding any shrimp. Even Neos.

Allows tons of surface bacteria/biofilm to grow, some algae to develop and creates a better environment for detrivores like shrimp.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #236
phoenixkiller
Planted Tank Guru

So the lesson here is better safe than sorry pretty much?

I'll take my time adding shrimp. They're beauties!!
Grow shrimp twice
Old 12-13-2012, 05:15 PM   #237
AVN
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Jake, just saw the post for a sweet deal on your PRL+goodies. I'm definitely going to snatch it up at a later date if nobody else does. I've been cycling a 20L for two weeks, so hopefully they don't get taken first. ;(

May I inquire the source of your PRL?
Old 12-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #238
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

I don't sell outside the For Sale section, so all inquiries should occur there or via private message.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #239
AVN
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Was just asking about where you got them originally, made a comment about interest but nothing about definite sales.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #240
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Definitely better safe than sorry.

Really, it's just a good idea to develop the proper environment for any critter you plan to house. Fish, shrimp, even snails.

I sometimes run reef tanks for five or six months before any small fish ever get to move in.

Quote:
So the lesson here is better safe than sorry pretty much?

I'll take my time adding shrimp. They're beauties!!