10 gallon Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 09-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
parrottbay
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Question

10 gallon Tank

Good Afternoon fellow "planters",

I have few questions on lighting for a ten gallon. I have a regular 15$ dollar 10 gallon that I would love to turn into a shrimp tank. I would also want it to be able to grow a green carpet since I have had no luck with my 72 or 36 gallon with carpets. I dose everything that flourish recommends/ sells and how they say how and when to dose, so I would plan to follow those same guidelines into the ten. I want a black substrate and would think dark flourish would fit these needs? Money is no option, is a little bit of worry like with anyone but I wanna do it right the first time and be able to know how to fix/unscrew my 36 and 72. I have been reading this link but I am unable to understand it when it goes into multiple bulbs etc. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=105774
And I also have a problem when trying to order it like from amazon because I can not look at the reflectors. Any help is appreciated because I do not know who to turn to other than you guys! Thanks again!
parrottbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
nchumley
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

What kind of lighting do you use?
nchumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
parrottbay
Planted Tank Enthusiast

In the 72 I have a Nova Extreme x4 and the 36 I have a aquasun t5ho that I run for 12 hours roughly on a timer.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
Elrodg
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Dude I use two 100watt CFl on my ten and have a half marimo, half dhg carpet that is already in need of thinning. There isnt much of a footprint on a ten so with all the substrate you are looking at what 9-13 inches?
Old 09-01-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
parrottbay
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So these lights in this link will be sufficient for the ten? Just making sure I got the right thing...I appreciate this BC this is WAY cheaper than buying a metal halide just for a 10 gallon. How did you hook these up on the aquarium?

http://www.amazon.com/Watt-Energy-Sm...bulbs+100+watt

Last edited by parrottbay; 09-01-2012 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: forgot link
Old 09-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #6
QQQUUUUAADDD
Planted Member

No, they're not the correct spectrum. You could get an incandescent fixture and put these bulbs in or get some of those metal dome lights from Lowes,.
QQQUUUUAADDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:40 PM   #7
Elrodg
Planted Member

Make sure they are daylight and not cool white. And they will do fine. I change mine out every three or four months with new because they do tend to lose their strength over time. But yes. Two of those can in some cases be a bit overkill.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:01 AM   #8
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrottbay View Post
Good Afternoon fellow "planters",

... I have been reading this link but I am unable to understand it when it goes into multiple bulbs etc. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=105774
And I also have a problem when trying to order it like from amazon because I can not look at the reflectors. Any help is appreciated because I do not know who to turn to other than you guys! Thanks again!
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368 is a much more up to date reference.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:21 AM   #9
parrottbay
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Hoppy, and btw I am now using a Oddysea fixture, Thanks guys for the help!
Old 12-13-2012, 05:15 PM   #10
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

I like using a incandescent hood with two CFL's. I would start at maybe 10-13 watts. The reason I like this setup is that you have so much adjustability compared to using florescent tubes. You can start at a lower light level and increase as your plant mass increases. Go to far, just put the old bulbs back in. I use daylight bulbs in lamps and other places but it bugs some people. If it doesn't bug you, you are really only out the cost of 2 bulbs because you can use them elsewhere if you go to dim/bright as you experiment with different amounts of light.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:27 AM   #11
parrottbay
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you for your time and help!

Tags
light, t5ho, ten gallon