Help me stock a single species "iwagumi" tank with schooling fish
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 12-12-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Help me stock a single species "iwagumi" tank with schooling fish

Tank Size: 20 long
Filtration: Eheim 2215
Heat: none for now, 75 degrees, can add a heater ASAP if needed.

First off, I am quite literally asking people to stock my tank for me. I have a very marginal interest in fish compared to plants. The problem with that is I am still very picky about fish.

My tank is iwagumi inspired so I want to do once species of fish. I may or may not do shrimp, much easier for me to pick those out.

I would prefer fish that are more commonly available. Exotic fish are cool but I hate having to order more than I am comfortable adding at once to save money or save a long trip.

I know this is a lot to ask and I should just make up my mind or figure something out but I kind of feel like a blank canvas may be interesting.

My top candidates are Cardinals, which I love but it can be hard finding healthy ones and Rummynose Tetras which I don't know if I can easily find them locally and never had before.

Feel free to mention anything as I trust that many on the board would have a better idea than myself. The tank layout can be seen in my sig...13 stones
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
ThatGuyWithTheFish
perugiae

PTrader: (23/100%)

What pH and KH?

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
ThatGuyWithTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:53 PM   #3
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyWithTheFish View Post
What pH and KH?
pH is 7.6 (or more) out the tap, 6.4 with CO2
KH is 6-7 degrees

Not sure how accurate it is because my test kits are old.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:14 PM   #4
ThatGuyWithTheFish
perugiae

PTrader: (23/100%)

You probably wouldn't want rummynose or cardinals since they prefer more acidic, soft water. Harlequin rasboras would be the next logical choice.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
ThatGuyWithTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:30 PM   #5
STS_1OO
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Harlequins for the win. Their cousins, the espei are smaller and may fit the iwagumi's scale better.
STS_1OO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:49 PM   #6
LB79
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

GOld tetras, ruby tetras, ember tetras, pygmy cories, emerald rasboras, harlequin rasboras, narrow-wedge rasboras, lamb-chop rasboras, chili rasboras... the list is endless.

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
LB79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:58 PM   #7
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyWithTheFish View Post
You probably wouldn't want rummynose or cardinals since they prefer more acidic, soft water. Harlequin rasboras would be the next logical choice.
I have done Harlequin rasboras and though Orange is not my favorite color, I am interested in trying them again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB79 View Post
GOld tetras, ruby tetras, ember tetras, pygmy cories, emerald rasboras, harlequin rasboras, narrow-wedge rasboras, lamb-chop rasboras, chili rasboras... the list is endless.
It's odd how little Rasbora's are local to me (within reason, not like 45+ min). Chili Rasboras are interesting to me but I don't know how easy they are to find. I want to move very slowly on this tank with stocking as that is my biggest mistake I tend to make, the trade off of cost/driving compared to how many fish. I always mistakenly try to add too much at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STS_1OO View Post
Harlequins for the win. Their cousins, the espei are smaller and may fit the iwagumi's scale better.
Even though I don't like orange, this was a strong consideration due to size/behavior. I haven't done them before but they seem very similar to Harlequin rasboras, just smaller. Smaller is better for me for sure.

So are Cardinals/Rummynose totally out of the equation with my water parameters? I know my water is hard, even if my test kit isn't accurate. The rocks have made it harder in the past but not by much.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:11 AM   #8
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

Celestial pearl danios are always great for a smaller tank, they also take well to water thats a little bit alkaline and with cooler temps. If you wanted to go the really small route boraras would be good too. Invertebrates by msjinkzd here in the forum sponsors has cpds and is awaiting a shipment of borara species as we speak.

Now how about some pics?
Old 12-13-2012, 01:24 AM   #9
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwheeler91 View Post
Celestial pearl danios are always great for a smaller tank, they also take well to water thats a little bit alkaline and with cooler temps. If you wanted to go the really small route boraras would be good too. Invertebrates by msjinkzd here in the forum sponsors has cpds and is awaiting a shipment of borara species as we speak.

Now how about some pics?
I like the way CPD's look but I have heard they love to hide and are a bit "skittish". I would be concerned about them trying to hide with no place to hide, especially since the tank is in my living room. It is a fish I feel in love with but once others started sharing their experiences, it wasn't for me. I am not saying it wouldn't work, I just don't know that it's what I want. The closest place to buy them is pretty far away as well so it doesn't help with my slow stocking scheme I have.

As for pics, check it out here:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=198201
Old 12-13-2012, 01:47 AM   #10
Lab_Man
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I love tetras, emperor tetras in particular.
Lab_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:49 AM   #11
STS_1OO
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

I'd say that most threads regarding CPD ive read suggest the same thing - skittish fish.

Chili Rasboras and anything of that size don't typically swim in the smooth, continuous fashion but in disjointed spurts. I'm not a fan of these fish unless the tank is <5G.

Harlequins have been the best schoolers imo and if the Espei behave like them, they'd make a great addition to a 20L.

Rummy nose are awesome too but those have been ruled out already.
STS_1OO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:03 AM   #12
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

It sounds like Harlequins rasbora's are out the top right now, even though it wasn't my first choice. I am really trying to go to this place by my house because he always had healthy fish, is very nice, and just moved locations. I can ask him if he can get Espei's but I don't want to special order anything. I don't know why, I am weird like that.

Still open to suggestions, I also have to go over it with the GF.

Just for fun...here is my last tank with a largish school of Harlequins rasbora's, about 3 years ago
Old 12-13-2012, 03:23 AM   #13
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

PTrader: (3/100%)

I don't think healthy specimens of cardinals or rummynose would be a problem adjusting to your water. But I like the idea of chili or espei rasboras. Or ember tetra are very underrated
mitchfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:57 AM   #14
LB79
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

As long as it's stable, you can keep most fish in there. They just may not have as long a lifespan as if they were in water of Ph 4.00, KH 00.00, GH 00.00.

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
LB79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #15
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

I am hesitant to do Cardinals, even though they are my first choice because of my last experience. I had about the same pH, but my KH was lower and got pH swings. I haven't had this tank up long enough to know how different my water is but I am only 4-5 miles away from where I used to live. I put the Cardinals in after I stopped getting pH swings but they never did well. I would get a random death every month or two. Then half jumped. Only two survived but one would have crazy issues after water changes. It would get very bloated and it's eyes would bulge.

I did them at my parents house, can't remember the water parameters but it was still only 5 miles away from the other tank but had very different water conditions. Still high pH but probably more around 7.2. KH was about the same, if I recall correctly. I am hesitant to say my pH is 7.6. That's just at the top of my test kit's range. I am just hesitant to accidentally euthanize my LFS's Cardinals at my expense.

I am still up in the air on this, which is fine because waiting is more important than me picking the wrong fish again.