Rusty's GLA 36-L First Iwagumi Build
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 12-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #1
AUvet14
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Rusty's GLA 36-L First Iwagumi Build

This is my first nano tank, first rimless tank, first iwagumi build. This should be exciting.

Here's what I've got so far:

GLA 36-L (36 x 22 x 26cm)
Eheim 2211
16'' Finnex Ray 2 LED (7000K White)

I have 27lbs of Seiryu stone on the way, hopefully will get here tomorrow. That should give me plenty of stones to choose from. I plan to use ADA Aquasoil Amazonia powder type for the substrate. I'm waiting for either AFA or ADG to get the 3L bags back in stock. I don't currently have a stand or anything to put it on but I plan to go out in the next few weeks looking for something relatively inexpensive that I can use as a stand. I will be getting the Cal Aqua Labs 13mm nano fluxus filter pipes. I'll be using a GLA inline atomic diffuser and I'll also be getting some sort of manifold to allow me to run CO2 on this tank and my 30 gal both from my GLA Atomic V3 regulator with 5lb CO2 cylinder.
AUvet14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
daitran89
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)

Nice start ^^
daitran89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

Sounds exciting.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:25 PM   #4
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Dang that low iron glass and really white LED's just make that tank look like a setup that just screams POTENTIAL! I think I'm gonna have to get that tank/fixture... Oh wait...I did! Welcome to the club
Old 12-11-2012, 11:31 PM   #5
AUvet14
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
Dang that low iron glass and really white LED's just make that tank look like a setup that just screams POTENTIAL! I think I'm gonna have to get that tank/fixture... Oh wait...I did! Welcome to the club
Haha. Thanks. And thanks for helping me decide which light to go with. HOLY COW! It weighs absolutely nothing. I picked it up and it was literally like picking up a feather. Lol. I checked the email I got when my stones shipped. They should get here either tomorrow or Thursday. Apparently I had the estimated delivery date wrong. lol. Too bad I won't get to start setting this up until after the new year.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:35 PM   #6
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

You know for a relatively inexpensive stand, I've ran across a lot of threads by Mini-M owners who use those ClosetMaid cabinets found at Target. I was gonna get one but decided to use my Ikea file cabinet since i decided to place my nano tank next to my desk.

There are other options at Target and Ikea, but here's an example...
http://m.target.com/p/closetmaid-2-d...o/-/A-11187095
Old 12-11-2012, 11:46 PM   #7
AUvet14
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
You know for a relatively inexpensive stand, I've ran across a lot of threads by Mini-M owners who use those ClosetMaid cabinets found at Target. I was gonna get one but decided to use my Ikea file cabinet since i decided to place my nano tank next to my desk.

There are other options at Target and Ikea, but here's an example...
http://m.target.com/p/closetmaid-2-d...o/-/A-11187095
Hmmm. Interesting. I need a shelf for my dvd's so I was gonna see if I could find something that would work for that and function as a stand. That looks like it would work pretty well though. Thanks
Old 12-12-2012, 12:00 AM   #8
AUvet14
Planted Tank Obsessed

Actually, that looks like it would work perfectly. Might have to go pick one up. I'm still trying to figure out where I want to put it. Lol.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:02 AM   #9
beedee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

This is gonna be goooood! Keep us posted!
Old 12-12-2012, 03:56 AM   #10
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUvet14 View Post
I don't currently have a stand or anything to put it on but I plan to go out in the next few weeks looking for something relatively inexpensive that I can use as a stand.
Yeah, I notice a distinct lack of nice stands here in the US.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:05 AM   #11
AUvet14
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
Yeah, I notice a distinct lack of nice stands here in the US.
Nope. That's why I built one for my 30 gallon http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=187506 I could put something together for this one, but I feel like something like a side table or that cabinet would do just fine, as it would serve the purpose and wouldn't draw the eye from the focus (the aquarium). No need for anything fancy. With my 30 gallon, I built the stand so that it added to the overall display of the aquarium.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:31 PM   #12
AUvet14
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well, I picked up something for the stand today. I was a little unsure of the weight-bearing capacity, so I tested it. I think this photo might serve as proof of its weight-bearing ability. What do you think? Lol.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:00 AM   #13
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUvet14 View Post
Nope. That's why I built one for my 30 gallon http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=187506 I could put something together for this one, but I feel like something like a side table or that cabinet would do just fine, as it would serve the purpose and wouldn't draw the eye from the focus (the aquarium). No need for anything fancy. With my 30 gallon, I built the stand so that it added to the overall display of the aquarium.

I was talking about the prebuilt offerings, cheap particle board stuff, flimsy and ugly.

I look for clean minimalistic style stands that fit the tank seamless like Euro and Asian style. Only ADA and Elos fit those requirements.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:18 AM   #14
AUvet14
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ah, well, while it's a nice-looking style, I don't want to spend money on one for a small tank like this. I am perfectly happy with something inexpensive that will do the job. Perhaps after I finish school I can build an ADA style stand. Until then, this should work just fine.

Sent from my HTC One S
Old 12-15-2012, 12:06 AM   #15
AUvet14
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well, here's the beginning of my light stand. Both Lowe's and Home Depot wouldn't cut or bend the pipe for me, so I had to buy a conduit bender and I plan on returning it, undamaged, tomorrow. lol. I don't have a pipe cutter and I wasn't going to buy one since I couldn't return that. I will just have to find someone with one I can borrow. I will shorten this by at least 2 and a half feet, maybe 3 feet, but this should give you an idea of how it looks. I will also cut off a piece of the horizontal arm so it doesn't look so long. Let me know what you think.

Tags
finnex ray 2, gla 36-l, iwagumi, nano