Any great freshwater Shops in southern NH
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New Hampshire

Old 03-10-2008, 02:41 PM   #1
Rhino
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Any great freshwater Shops in southern NH

Any suggestions on a freshwater shop in southern nh? all the ones I have found are either generic or big on salt water. Im really trying to find a good place to find plants and will be starting up a new tank soon. Any Suggestions will be appreciated.
Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2008, 02:01 AM   #2
abwalker
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

So far as I can tell there's nothing. If you're in Nashua, you could try Textile Aquarium in Lowell. Its worth making a call before you go down there, since he keeps really strange hours. I don't remember the shop having a lot of plants but it isn't generic and has very healthy fish.

I assume you've tried Family Pet and Aquarium (?) off of Exit 7, near Market Basket. They are quite small and not fish-specific, but they had some plants last time I was there.

HTH,
Abby
abwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:18 AM   #3
Iggins

pet city in seabrook is good, the owner and senior employees are way into planted tanks and they try to keep a steady supply of plants. seaworld in...salem? NH, near the rockingham mall is mostly saltwater, but its huge and they usually have alot of plants also. pet city in seabrook is my favorite fish place, i love the people there, and hang out and chat with them about algae and water and all that nerd stuff my friends don't want to hear, lol.
Iggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:10 PM   #4
bishop169
Algae Grower

I like seaworld in salem they do have a big salt section but there fresh is a good size

You have to get past the old shabby look of the place. I've never had an issue with plants or fish that i got there
bishop169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:37 PM   #5
jeepn4x4
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)

Probably already heard of it but in Hudson NH there is a newer store called The Aquarium Gallery. They specilize in saltwater. They do have freashwater but it does come second to the saltwater.
jeepn4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 06:47 PM   #6
Driftwoody

I found a new place (to me) last week. Have you ever been to Pet Junction in Dover? It's a small shop, but they have a surprisingly good selection of fish (fresh and salt) and a few plants. I wasn't expecting much when I walked in, so I was pleasantly surprised.
Driftwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:50 PM   #7
J.farrand
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to J.farrand

Pet junction in Somersworth, NH is one of the best! The owner had picks his fish and unless they are great quality he does not buy them. Also Little critter pet shop in Exeter is good quality fish. If you want to network in NH check out the New Hampshire Aquarium Soceity. Meetings start in September every second wednesday. The annual auction is also in that month. I will be bringing alot of different plants to auction. Any questions about planted tanks I can give what knowledge I have. Since joining this site I am realizing I have tons more to learn! However, I think I'm doing well so far.
J.farrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #8
Gplus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Jays Aquatics In Salem NH. They have a few planted but their freshwater fish selection is great! They work with a lot of local shrimp/fish breeders to bring in the best quality stuff! They use to have more freshwater up front by the salt but they've recently moved all the fresh to the back room. Great place all in all though! Worth checking out! If you go to their website they list all their not fresh and saltwater livestock as It comes in!

http://jaysaquatics.net/
Old 07-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #9
stsalerno
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to stsalerno Send a message via Skype™ to stsalerno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplus View Post
Jays Aquatics In Salem NH. They have a few planted but their freshwater fish selection is great! They work with a lot of local shrimp/fish breeders to bring in the best quality stuff! They use to have more freshwater up front by the salt but they've recently moved all the fresh to the back room. Great place all in all though! Worth checking out! If you go to their website they list all their not fresh and saltwater livestock as It comes in!

Thanks for this recommendation. I read your post last Friday and decided to check them out this weekend. HUGE saltwater selection. The freshwater section was decent and the prices seemed pretty reasonable. I just did a quick run through because my boyfriend was with me and he rushes me in pet stores because he gets bored as soon as he walks through the door. Hopefully I'll be able to stop by without him soon and actually check everything out.
stsalerno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:00 PM   #10
mfskarphedin
Algae Grower

I read Seaworld Pet Center in Salem, NH closed? True? Sad, if so, because they had a great selection of many unusual freshwater fish, very healthy. Oh, I loved my Giant Kuhlis (Slimey Myersi) from them! They lived into their early teens.

And NO funky algae in their tanks.

Yes, they sold puppies, but I hadn't taken the "No Puppies" pledge way back then.
36 gal hex with Java Fern and common Goldfish
46 gal Bowfront with asst. plants and tropicals
55 gal with three very large fancy Goldfish

Coming soon: 65 gal Dutch planted with Rainbows
RIP 125 gal w/very large common GF and BF Koi
mfskarphedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:02 AM   #11
stsalerno
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to stsalerno Send a message via Skype™ to stsalerno

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfskarphedin View Post
I read Seaworld Pet Center in Salem, NH closed? True? Sad, if so, because they had a great selection of many unusual freshwater fish, very healthy. Oh, I loved my Giant Kuhlis (Slimey Myersi) from them! They lived into their early teens.

And NO funky algae in their tanks.

Yes, they sold puppies, but I hadn't taken the "No Puppies" pledge way back then.
Yes they are closed.
stsalerno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:19 AM   #12
ggsteve
Algae Grower

I followed my GPS to the Aquarium Gallery address in Hudson, NH and it's gone too. On the web it says the site name is for sale.

If you want to support an old school mom and pop LFS go to the Fishbowl on the oval in Milford, NH. Tiny little shop but they do have a 40 gallon tank of real aquatic plants, unlike the terrarium crap at the big boxes.
ggsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:11 AM   #13
genocdex
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

i might be late and this might be far but zoo creatures in plaistow nh has about 50/50 fresh and salt. and a decent amount of plants. i havent been there in a while but if frank is still working (kinda a bit of abrasive personality) but he knows his stuff.
genocdex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #14
mfskarphedin
Algae Grower

I've got some pics of Zoo Creatures' tanks from my last, and i mean LAST visit, but they'd get deleted like my last comment in this thread about the condition of their tanks. Like this one will get deleted!

I prefer the Petco in Dover.
36 gal hex with Java Fern and common Goldfish
46 gal Bowfront with asst. plants and tropicals
55 gal with three very large fancy Goldfish

Coming soon: 65 gal Dutch planted with Rainbows
RIP 125 gal w/very large common GF and BF Koi
mfskarphedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #15
Seadon
Planted Tank Obsessed

I like the Fish Bowl in Milford...theres a new one opening in my town...manchester that I plan on supporting...I will have to check facebook for the name again and I will post back here...I think its open now. Where specifically are you from?
Seadon is offline   Reply With Quote