DK's m..a..d.. d..o..-i..n..g..s........ - Page 82
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 12-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #1216
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

PTrader: (197/100%)

DK's m..a..d.. d..o..-i..n..g..s........

Don't tell anyone, but SOMEBODY has a crush on DK's god dog rottie...

AND... Breaking news!! Incoming German Dobie pictures on the way! Stay tuned!

AND... in the meantime, DK has ordered a piano lamp, and a 12 inch aquarium LED strip kit, and the two shall marry upon arrival. I know, it's a mixing of castes, but it's gonna be good, and substantially cheaper than buying an LED piano lamp which are scandalously priced. Just scandalous.

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 08-12-2013 at 12:47 PM..
DKShrimporium is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 12:52 AM   #1217
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

awww those 2 are so cute hehe. cant wait to see the german dobie i know there are only a couple breeders in the states. i miss my dobies i had all they body types and all 3 were reds
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #1218
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Here's a graphic illustration of the power of carbonation. This is the drain in a white ceramic sink. The sink and drain were brand new in 1997, not 50 or 70 years ago like it would appear.

The acidity of our well water, due to dissolved CO2, has eaten away the chrome plating on the drain. It has also dissolved the ceramic finish on the sink edge, leaving a tan edge that looks like a mineral ring, but is actually the opposite, it is an erosion due to acid of the outer coating on the ceramic. DK kicks herself for not paying attention and figuring this out years earlier - all her 1997 white toilets have a nasty looking tan water level ring... permanent, and no amount of any sort of cleaning will ever get rid of them!

Pretty strong stuff, coming from DK's well (until we added a treatment system a few years ago). However, due to WHAT the treament is, it is bypassed for the Water Factory III input, as the shrimp won't like the treated water, so the water that enters WFIII is the super-carbonated water, very low pH.

BTW - our piano teacher said our piano is in tune! We added a few gizmos to the piano investment, see below. It's so easy and cheap to get an iPod app for measuring sound freqency... makes DK wish there were something for light frequency so she could make her own iPod spectrophotometer for LaMotte testing... hmmmmm... hey Shrimptern 2.0... isn't that a great pipe dream??

Old 12-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #1219
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

Old pianos are notoriously hard to keep in tune due to the loosening of pegs and stretching of strings.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #1220
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post
Old pianos are notoriously hard to keep in tune due to the loosening of pegs and stretching of strings.
We don't think we'll have that issue, fortunately - this piano was moved into the previous owner's condo, sat for 8 years in their condo unused, and was still nearly in tune. (The piano moved with them when they moved, it had been given to the mom in the condo as a child and she'd had it since her childhood, they moved it when they moved into the condo and had kids, but the kids didn't want to learn to play it, so they finally decided to sell it as it was taking up a good bit of prime real estate in their condo.) The Piano Guild Technician was amazed at the condition of the pins, and that it held tune through a move and then eight years. But he also said it's one of the heaviest upright pianos he's ever moved and it's the mass of the hardwood and iron string harp that keeps the tune to a large extent (barring loose pins).

After we bought it, we had the copper bass strings replaced, because it still had the original IRON wrapped bass strings from that era (1893), which produce muffled, inferior sound. So the new bass strings will need to stretch a bit before they settle, which of course throws the piano out of tune.

The new bass coppers sound beautiful - they resonate like a musical thunderstorm!

Old 12-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #1221
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

IN OTHER NEWS:

Here's a picture of the growth of the latest round of Mermaid babies, I have a decent crop of them and they are all thriving (thanks to the cashew jars) and growing well. This batch is now about 1 cm.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:14 AM   #1222
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

OK, I don't normally do this, but this one just kills me. It's those little subtleties that make it.

1) How carefully he puts it down.
2) How little one looks back, TWICE, to make sure it's OK. A sense of checking on "it's ok" at that 12-16 month age. Incredible.
3) How carefully he picks it back up, looks into the face to make sure it's ok, and just goes on, non-chalantly.
4) Of course, the elder statesman - what he does - doesn't surprise us dog people, does he? He's obviously in costume. That is REALLY a German Shepherd, in costume.

See it a few times, to see the subtleties.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:10 PM   #1223
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

DK tries to pull herself back on topic. While she awaits the dobie pictures' arrival. Crystal, DK needs pictures of yours, too. DK needs. We need a Moose in the thread.

Next up: pictures of the installed Cashew Jar Department Stores.

We have drilled the lids with holes for the input tubing. Each department store twin gets Water Factory III inputs in the first of the two cashew jars, and then an air line in both of the twins.

We are working with a concept of RESIDENCE TIME. We increase this by making the labyrinthine pathway for the input water, such that it has to traverse some things until it gets out of the "store."

The rough conceptual equation for degassing is:
RESIDENCE TIME x degassing rate x increase in temperature
= amount of degassing that occurs.

Today, we are just talking about RESIDENCE TIME, in this post. How DK manipulated the residence time from somewhere under 15 minutes up to 24 hours, in a live feed system. OHHHHHHHHHHH, how DK loves to manipulate, heh heh heh...

First, the input water is fed into the BOTTOM of the first jar. It fills the jar from the bottom, up, until it reaches the bulkhead between the twin jars, at which time it overflows into the bulkhead.

The bulkhead between the twins is fitted with tubing to the bottom of jar 2 so when the water starts coming into jar 2 it goes to the BOTTOM of jar 2 and then rises, again until it hits the level of the exit bulkhead, that exits the "store."

The WFIII cycle and input rates are calibrated such that one WFIII cycle fills one of the twin jars.

So (CYCLE) -> jar one fills.
Next (CYCLE) - > water from jar 1 is pushed into and fills jar 2, while jar 1 is filled with new input.

It isn't until the THIRD cycle, which is 24 hours later, that the original input water is now pushed out of the department store twins and down the output, into the Mermaid tanks.

Thus, the department store twin jars, with a certain water input rate, have bought us 24 hours of RESIDENCE TIME.

TIME is the first thing needed to pull gas out of water.

OK, this post is long enough, so more later. Ponder the diagram, and think of the concept of RESIDENCE TIME. This concept becomes useful for another aspect to be discussed, later.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #1224
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)

STOP! You're making me want a puppy.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:20 PM   #1225
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Maniac View Post
STOP! You're making me want a puppy.
Yes, of course. You DO want a puppy, and soon. A wiggly, wriggly, shiny-eyed, soft, warm puppy. That follows you around.

IN OTHER NEWS:

Try as she might, she cannot stop obsessing about these. She is TRYING to shove these obsessive thoughts away, but they slither back into the squirrely brain like tar melting on a hot tin roof, finding cracks.

She tries not to think about them, but then her brain starts running numbers, making diagrams, thinking about specifications, and what is possible.

I fear she has fallen ill, with the next project.

Dang.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #1226
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKShrimporium View Post
Yes, of course. You DO want a puppy, and soon. A wiggly, wriggly, shiny-eyed, soft, warm puppy. That follows you around.
The Mastiff does enough of that for several dogs and dozens of puppies ...
Old 12-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #1227
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

So, in an AMAZING string, TWO DAYS IN A ROW, DK sticks on topic. Wow, she's on a roll.

Yesterday, discussing the CJDS project we introduced this conceptual equation and talked about RESIDENCE TIME. Today, we talk about degassing rate.

The rough conceptual equation for degassing is:
RESIDENCE TIME x degassing rate x increase in temperature
= amount of degassing that occurs.

Gas will reach an equilibrium in solution, dissolving into the liquid. How much gas you can stuff into that liquid depends on a few things. Of course one is how soluble the gas is in the liquid. Another is the pressure of the system - more pressure forces more gas into the system. Another is temperature - cool temperatures allow more gas to dissolve into the liquid.

We can get all fancy and say it in some famous dude's words:

Henry's Law

The solubility of a gas in a liquid depends on temperature,
the partial pressure of the gas over the liquid,
the nature of the solvent
and the nature of the gas.

So let's review. DK's water emerges from her well - say, in winter months which are the most problematic and we solve our project problems based in part on the worst case scenario - at temperatures in the 50s F and with enough dissolved carbon dioxide to pull the pH down in the 5 or below range, fairly acidic.

Let's look at our graphic of the day - a nice fizzy soft drink, beading with condensation sweat, bubbling with carbonation, and you just know if you take a swig of it, you will feel the bite of carbonation. (Word geek alert: do you like DK's alliteration?)

Our soda illustrates this dissolved gas (carbon dioxide, even) in aqueous (that would be water-based) liquid solution.

What do we know about a soda?
  1. When you pop the can, you hear a pshhhhhhht sound, and if you don't, you know it's no good. That sound is the release of pressure in the can, that holds in MORE carbon dioxide gas in the soda, using pressure.
  2. You pour the contents of the can over a pile of ice, watching as you do the foam and bubbles, hearing the hiss of gas escaping solution and seeing this as microbubbles pop and produce tiny droplets, causing a sort of soda fog at the surface. This for most people is a compromise, because we want to drink it cold, but we know that we lose some fizz by pouring it out, pouring it over ice especially. It's not the cold of the ice, but rather the agitation of the liquid as it hits the solid matrix of ice that releases the carbon dixoide from solution, causing the foam and fog. We do it anyway, because there will still be enough gas left in the soda for a carbonation bite, even after we lose some from the ice agitation.
  3. If we put the soda back into the fridge, we know it will hold carbonation much longer than if we let it sit out hours or a day or two at room temperature. The colder temperature holds more gas in solution than warmer temperature, all other things equal.
  4. We also know not to shake a can or pour it high over the rocks, if we want to keep more carbonation. Once again, this is agitation, which releases gas from solution. In a closed 2 liter bottle (or can) that you have dropped on the floor, gas is released into the air space in the bottle/can, but the pressure inside the bottle (or can) if unopened rises from this, therefore eventually pushing more gas back into solution, and you end up back where you started. That is why bottled/canned soda can be dropped, heated, or whatever, and still hold the carbonation. The pressure will push the gas back into solution, as long as the bottle/can stays sealed.

OK, that's enough, for this post. Ponder on our soda picture, and the thought of dissolved CO2 in aqueous solution, and how agitation and temperature can drive the CO2 out of the solution.

The more agitation and temperature, the FASTER the degassing rate will be.

BTW - this explains why, if you are carbonating your planted tank with carbon dioxide (either DIY yeasty gas or pressurized from a cylinder), but then are using an HOB filter or canister spray bar on the surface, you are then agitating your gas right back out of solution, and shooting yourself in the foot, as the AIR above the water surface doesn't have as much CO2 as you are releasing from your water. On the other hand the AIR above the water surface has MORE oxygen than is down in the water, so the agitation is actually helping push oxygen into the water at the same time it is helping release the carbon dioxide.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #1228
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

ha ha ok ill post pics, moose is not a dobie (would love another though) moose is my pit/german shepherd mix

here is my moose hehe will be 3 jan 29th

and the dobies i used to have (were all rescues)
rebel the german dobie pintcher 3

russel the king dobie 2

and theia my femal american dobie 8

Last edited by wicca27; 12-12-2012 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: wording
Old 12-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #1229
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

I remember Moose now! He's in here previously. I soooo see the German Shepherd in that second picture, in the eyes and expression. The first picture, he reminds me of a smooth coated Akita. He has a wonderful face!

And the Dobies make me want to get another one. I had one as a kid and he was a red, too. I just love to run my hands along a sleek Dobie, the are so sleek.

Thanks for the pics, C!
Old 12-13-2012, 12:36 AM   #1230
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

your welcome. yeah almost every one who sees moose asks if he is an akita only true pit owners/lovers tend to see it thank goodness lol. i think russel the king dobie with the floppy ears was my fav he was so funny and such a ham lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.