blue green algae AKA cyanobacteria - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 12-10-2012, 11:47 PM   #31
happi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi

i just realize that it might be GDA,looks similar to cyno in my tank. this is not my pic but this is what exactly happening in my tank.

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/thre...o-fix-it.1541/

Old 12-11-2012, 12:57 AM   #32
discuspaul
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

If it is in fact green dust algae, i.e. it's mostly on the glass of the tank and is easily wiped off - then a UV sterilizer will deal with all of it that you can get free-floating into the water column. I got rid of it by wiping it off daily for several days in a row, so that the bulk of it was into the water and the UV could pick it up & zap it.
You still have to remedy the problem long term by determining the root causes & dealing with that, but the UV will kill off all the free-floating material it can take in via it's in-take filtering process.
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 12:51 AM   #33
Capsaicin_MFK
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

I had no fish in my 10g and I had a bad infestation of BGA from a botched DSM, so I triple dosed EM with no affect to the BGA. I tried a 4 day blackout and it didn't work either. The only thing that worked was spot treating with H2o2. If oxidizing is an issue, you could always try Potassium permanganate.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:10 AM   #34
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (253/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post
i just realize that it might be GDA,looks similar to cyno in my tank. this is not my pic but this is what exactly happening in my tank.

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/thre...o-fix-it.1541/
Then EM will not work.
I had several folks try EM on GDA at Sewingsalot' report that it worked.
It did nothing for several aquariums with it when those folks tried it.

GDA is an oddity.

Lowering light, so called brown outs does effect it.
I tend to not like those and try other approaches 1st. Blackout for 3 days only works on BGA, Green algae might grow slower, but when you increase light back up, just like the plants, they take off again. Algaefix seems to have killed some folk's cases, but others report it had little effect.

If you lack a real dense amount of plant biomass and have a lot of light, this also seems to be asking for GDA ISSUES. Some folks go months with it. I suppose I've been very lucky as all the cases I had lasted only a 3-4 weeks.
But it made testing it problematic, and inoculation seems impossible in a well run tank near as I can tell.

If it's GDA, then you'll need a different approach for sure, BGA, easy to get rid, folks have spent months with GDA.

H2O2 etc will do nothing to GDA.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.