My Madagascar Inspired Mantella Paludarium - Page 7
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Herp (Reptiles and Amphibians)

Old 12-05-2012, 01:41 AM   #91
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Cool thanks for sharing!
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 02:05 AM   #92
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

hey, not a problem. that soil rocks though, i will tell you that. here's a plant that i got from a friend almost a year ago. i have grown it every way from sunday. soft aquatic tanks, neutral aquatic tanks, emersed with all different kinds of soils and humidity levels, and the sucker has not grown one inch. it didn't shrink or die off at all. it's like one leaf died and another took it's place. but look at it after about 2 weeks in my 125, with this soil. can you tell when the roots hit the soil??LOL

when i saw that huge (in comparison) leaf, i knew i had found myself a nice soil.
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 02:19 AM   #93
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

Is that Lizards Tail? If so, it is a marginal plant, and does best in really wet soil with the leaves above water. The wet soil is the key. It will eventually die if planted in an aquarium.

Boom. I'm awesome.

Last edited by crazydaz; 12-05-2012 at 02:25 AM.. Reason: Awesomeness
crazydaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 02:21 AM   #94
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

i have no freaking clue. i have been trying to grow it so i could find out for sure
Old 12-05-2012, 03:00 AM   #95
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ils.php?id=100

It would be my guess. However, the pictures around the web seem to suggest many hybrids and crosses, so it makes it difficult to tell at a glance.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:38 AM   #96
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

We'll just have to give it a few weeks and see. I did actually have it in a mini bog setup for a bit. There was no change. Plus, all my other plants are really starting to grow insanely now.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:07 AM   #97
greekquarist
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

This is a great build log. Can you post some more plant growth pictures?

Also, are you planning on putting any fauna in the water section?

Last edited by greekquarist; 12-10-2012 at 02:17 AM.. Reason: more specificity
greekquarist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 03:29 AM   #98
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekquarist View Post
This is a great build log. Can you post some more plant growth pictures?

Also, are you planning on putting any fauna in the water section?
yup, i'll be posting pics in a few weeks. the setup is only a week old, so right now i'm watching plants die and melt off while they acclimate, which i expected. also, i'm starting to get a nice fungus growth on my wood and background. i actually wasn't expecting that for another week or two, but i'm fine with it molding up now.

i plan on putting a colony of shrimp in there. probably some form of neo, since it runs on room temp in a basement. but it also needs to be that way for the frogs. and since neos are pretty much indestructible, i'm gonna go that route. i'm in no rush. i don't think i am going to be putting frogs in here until maybe feb or march. and by that time, my tibee experiment might go well, and i may end up putting them in here. also thinking about a couple guppies, but not set on that yet.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #99
greekquarist
Algae Grower

That sounds awesome. Good luck going forward.
greekquarist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 06:11 PM   #100
PremativePeat (PP)
Algae Grower

Thumbs up Really nice build

Fishes_in_Philly, most impressive build, but concerned about your last thought "also thinking about a couple guppies, but not set on that yet." won't the frogs eat the fish? I'm not into the frogs so please don't get hostile Just found your build very interesting. PP
PremativePeat (PP) is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #101
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Nope. The frogs will never go in the water and if they do, they will go in the shallow section. Besides, the frogs are only about 1.5 inches long. The guppies might be bigger....lol but it would be a valid concern with something like fire belly toads or a bullfrog of some sort.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #102
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Oh, i forgot to say thank you!! Where are my manners? Lol
Old 12-11-2012, 01:49 AM   #103
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

ok, so, i realize that since i have no livestock in this tank, that i am essentially this little world's God. Don had me pondering ways to speed up growth in this tank. now, i know that many terrestrial plants can be forced into a vegetative state, where they do nothing but grow, grow, grow. the problem is, it requires lighting 24/7. now, i did do this for a couple weeks when i did a dry start, and it actually did work well. my question to you guys is this, how long of a light period and for how long do you think i could extend things before i ran into algae issues?

here's the specs......2 t5no bulbs, my shallow water is less than an inch and the "deep" just shy of 3". the lights are 8" above the tank, 21" above the water line and the top is sealed with a glass lid. the lighting is on a 12 hour photoperiod, which i just extended today to 14 hours. i would really appreciate some input on this one. i hate to go through all this work, just to muck it up because i'm a dope....LOL
Old 12-11-2012, 03:32 AM   #104
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Bill, I think that this may have to be a "try it and see" type of thing. Why would a prolonged photoperiod over the course of several weeks specifically pose an algae risk? I can't think of one. Plants and algae are always battling one another while the lights are on, whether they have a dark period or not. Excessive iron and silcates seem to trigger algae issues within a planted aquarium, but sometimes it is too anecdotal to tell if it is excessive or lacking nutrients that can trigger an outbreak. For the terrestrial portion, I would imagine that keeping things a touch drier than normal would eliminate algae from becoming a problem.

The only thing that I can see becoming an issue would be that your CAM-based based plants are going to start to weaken because they ONLY take up CO2 at night. These would things like Tillys and Broms. So, you do run the risk of inadvertently growing some of your plants out like crazy, and seeing others die off inexplicably. So, it wouldn't be any potential algae issue that I would be worried about.

Your best bet, in my opinion, would be to attach a CO2 line into the tank, and just leave it on a very slow flow....maybe 1-2 bubbles/second through the CO2 tubing, day and night, and keep your photoperiod at 14 hours. This would allow for an increased level of CO2, which would benefit the plants. The trick would be to not overdo it....plants need O2 as well for respiration.

Slow and steady, ultimately, is better than fast and furious, IMO!!
Old 12-11-2012, 05:42 AM   #105
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

i agree, last year when i ran experiments on terrestrials, i saw a 21% increase in growth with the addition of CO2. your tank will be a perfect growth chamber for this. I found that increased humidity during this period slowed the increase I was experiencing. With humidity over 75% my increase in growth was only 16.5%. This was most likely due to an increase in microbial consumption of O2. We cannot neglect the immense amount of O2 molecules needed during cellular respiration. The demand is equally important for glucose to be synthesized and then broken down into ATP. This is the energy that is ultimately used to create more tissues. When done correctly, the addition of CO2 to terrestrials in conjunction with a massive photo boost can do wonders. This will be especially true with the dynamic soil you seem to have going. Dont worry about algae yet imo.

great experiment opportunity, If you want I'll look for my old data and send it thru to ya!

JD
Learner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.