I'm an idiot. Damage control help? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 12-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #16
fplata
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

When did you put the anazonia in that tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fplata is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 02:59 AM   #17
Jackie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Thanks so much for all the words of encouragement and advice! I'm glad to see many people find these little guys as fun and cute as I do

The Amazonia has been in the 20L tank for 11 days now. It still has not stabilized, and I got it from a local LFS that advised I use it because our local tap water was bad for shrimp. My PH is 8.2 out of the tap, but then again, I read the rili's and natural bees can tolerate that Ph? Last I checked my ph was 6.5 in that tank with the amazonia.

I use Prime as a water conditioner. Still waiting on a TDS meter, DWP's water report says TDS is 242-311.

The last remaining shrimp in the 10G are looking quite flat/skinny? Does that make sense? They do not seem to acknowledge any of the shrimp food in the tank & the moss in there looks like it is dying. I wonder if that is because too much light? I have the tank under a suspended shop light with 2 T8 fluorescent bulbs. It sits about 5-6" above the water level. The planted 20L has the typical hood with a single fluorescent bulb and moss does fine in that.

Thanks for all the help, I so appreciate it! It's so frustrating & sad to see these little guys die
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:28 AM   #18
inthepacific
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

what are your nitrite/ ammonia levels in the tank with the amazonia? also you probably dont need very high light for your tank with the shrimp so you can cut it back if its causing the moss to die. also how often are you changing out the water in the tank with the ADA soil?

Last edited by inthepacific; 12-11-2012 at 03:29 AM.. Reason: adding
inthepacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #19
Jackie
Algae Grower

In the tank with the amazonia: 0ppm Ammonia, 0 Nitrites and 10ppm Nitrates. Tested it just right now.

I did 90% water changes every day for 3 days in the beginning, and then dumped the Microbe-lift Special Blend & Nite Out II in on the 4th day.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #20
inthepacific
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

glad to hear your tank is finally cycled! add the shrimps! how are they? how many are left?
inthepacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #21
Jackie
Algae Grower

I was surprised that it was! I guess either the bacteria in the filter didn't all die or the Nite out II worked or a little of both.

I have 2 rilis and 1 bee left, they were happily snacking on some bottom feeder wafers this morning so my guess is they'll be just fine from here on out.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 12-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #22
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

watch them for another 2 weeks. if anything is going to happen, its going to happen during the first period of introduction to a new tank. hopefully your amazonia tank is cycled, but to me it sounds like it might not be completely done. have you tried to not do water changes for a period of time and the test the water for ammonia? if there is no ammonia or nitrite and low nitrates after you have NOT done water changes, then it might be ready. but even then more sensitive shrimp might die. i dont see sensitive shrimp in the ones you listed though.
Hopefully they'll live!
Old 12-12-2012, 04:28 AM   #23
Jackie
Algae Grower

I haven't changed the water for 8 days... I tested the water about 5 days ago and the readings were 0/0/0.

I might give it until the end of the weekend & test again before I drop them in there. I have 2 juvenile SAE's in there now, they are doing fine at least. Not sure if Ph is stable, right now it is at 7.4, but was at 6.5 at one point.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:00 AM   #24
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

that is another big issue. make sure pH is stable from day to night over the course of a couple of days. fluctuations can kill shrimp.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #25
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

Jackie, sorry to hear of your situation. For keeping invertebrates, one must be aware of tds, ph,gh,kh as well as temp. If not of the tank to be transitioned but for the temporary holding tank.

As it reads, seems as though you were sent a collection of caridina and neocaridinas of which would appreciate different water parameters. Caridinas feel much more comfortable in low gh/kh water and more neutral to acidic ph.

If your source water parameters were a wild swing in a different direction to what is their ideal, it would necessitate a serious drip acclimation over several hours while heavily oxygenating the water to ease the transition. I've managed to have minimal to no losses practicing this for all newly acquired shrimp. Infact my last batch of crs arrived in a punctured bag where the water had leaked out the box having 9 out of 10 survive. Credit goes to the cold weather which slowed their metabolism to a crawl.

As the events which has come to pass make most of what is said moot now, I hope the advice proves useful for new shrimp taking up future residence In your tank. I wish you the best of luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
Ph is 7.4
Kh is 3 drops
Gh is 4 drops
Using API drop tests. Unfortunately I don't have a TDS meter yet.

Based on the photo and description, I thought I was buying orange (as in pumpkin) shrimp. What I received were natural/wild type bee shrimp. No idea if it was a mixup or substitution. I tried contacting the vendor with no luck. I have since read reviews that this is typical for them, and that DOA's aren't covered even after paying $38 for shipping

Anyhow, lost all bee shrimp last night and I've only seen one lone rili. The others might be hiding, hopefully. Is there anything else I can test the tank for besides TDS? I will get one of those meters. Shrimp are so cute, want to make sure the next batch don't have the same fate.

One thing I've noticed is that a couple shrimp pellets or moldy in there really quick. Long white fuzz growing on them. Not sure if that is from the nite out II or not.

Thanks so much for helping! I feel so bad for these little guys

Tags
big shrimpin'