40 Breeders? - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #61
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Check out zmos63 40G
Hilde is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #62
scbrooks87
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

That's a pretty cool one Hilde! Still not 100% sure on how I feel about DW going up beyond the surface of the water, may not be something I'd do in my tank, but I can see why the look may appeal to others
scbrooks87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:17 PM   #63
steven p
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbrooks87 View Post
That's a pretty cool one Hilde! Still not 100% sure on how I feel about DW going up beyond the surface of the water, may not be something I'd do in my tank, but I can see why the look may appeal to others
one of my room mates had a large chunk of wood sticking out of his ten gallon.. i tossed some moss on it, and it started looking pretty natural... like 10x20 inches of a pond...
Old 12-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #64
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
That's a pretty cool one Hilde! Still not 100% sure on how I feel about DW going up beyond the surface of the water.
I like the rock area with the sand and the graduation from low to high plants.

I have to keep my tank closed tight so the wood out of the tank I wouldn't do.

Last edited by Hilde; 12-06-2012 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: added text
Hilde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #65
scbrooks87
Planted Member

I really like the way this was scaped... Just found it online. I want to do something similar with mine, but the white sand area would be quite a bit smaller. I just think it looks so cool to have that "river" of white sand in there.

-Scott
Old 12-07-2012, 12:29 AM   #66
Kayen
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
Thanks for the props, guys...always a work in progress! That's the fun isn't it?!

Kayen, I think you mean this one:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/my...e_verticillata

That plant grows explosively and propagates via runners. If I neglect it for 2+ weeks I have to get it out from behind spray pipes, the intakes, off the tank edges. I love it's looks though.

I would love to look at your tank(s) but I have a DNS block on my work machine that won't let me see photobucket pix. Draconian things...
Awesome, I'm going to find some cheap hanging planter in my corner and find some of that and let it grow out over the top of hte tank and see how she goes... thanks!
Old 12-07-2012, 12:40 AM   #67
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
(PIC Removed) I really like the way this was scaped... Just found it online. I want to do something similar with mine, but the white sand area would be quite a bit smaller. I just think it looks so cool to have that "river" of white sand in there.

-Scott
Oh if only they stayed that way for long! I see these guys do their contests where they go into the event, set up their elaborate gorgeous layouts that look like something that should be in a museum, get judged, tear down and go home all in one day!! That tank you posted looks like one of them. Keeping the white sand separate from the black would be a challenge, especially with animals in the tank. Beautiful though!
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:24 AM   #68
scbrooks87
Planted Member

Quote:
Oh if only they stayed that way for long! I see these guys do their contests where they go into the event, set up their elaborate gorgeous layouts that look like something that should be in a museum, get judged, tear down and go home all in one day!! That tank you posted looks like one of them. Keeping the white sand separate from the black would be a challenge, especially with animals in the tank. Beautiful though!
While that is the case for most tanks, I agree... I am please to report... it lasted at least two whole months!! hahaha.

That pic was from 4/30/05...

This pic is from 6/25/05:

But yes.... most showcase tanks were for competition purpose, go up once, and sadly get ripped down. LAME!

-Scott
Old 12-07-2012, 01:25 AM   #69
scbrooks87
Planted Member

By the way... I think the foreground plant (too new to know what it is) should have been trimmed better. It's kind of overgrown!
Old 12-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #70
Crob5965
Planted Member

These are from today I think the tank is about 3 months old now I'm still looking for the pictures of the stand I will post them as soon as I find them.
I will be adding the Canopy over the Xmas Holidays and will add pics of that also.
Was wondering if anyone thinks I should add another 36" LED or would that be too much
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8651.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	58557  

Name:	IMG_8653.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	58558  

Name:	IMG_8655.jpg
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	58559  

Name:	IMG_8661.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	58560  

Name:	IMG_8663.jpg
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	58561  

Name:	IMG_8659.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	58562  

Crob5965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #71
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I really love the look of your tank, with the white substrate and clean lines. It really sets the tone nicely.

As for recommending more LEDS - tough to say since you don't specify what you're using now, but if it were me, adding more light would cause me to consider how much more maintenance I'd put upon myself. More light = more growth = more messing...just my .01

:-)
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #72
Crob5965
Planted Member

Quote:
I really love the look of your tank, with the white substrate and clean lines. It really sets the tone nicely.

As for recommending more LEDS - tough to say since you don't specify what you're using now, but if it were me, adding more light would cause me to consider how much more maintenance I'd put upon myself. More light = more growth = more messing...just my .01

:-)
I bought a cheap knock off of the Marineland 36"
The brand is beamworks 120 LED w/ 9 moonlights
It's supposed to put out 10K

I moved it to the front of the tank and like how it looks it shadows the back a little but it also helps hide wires and air lines quite nicely

I used to have 3 DIY cfls like your tank and loved it but the wife wanted a cleaner look I might put them back when I build my canopy

I love your planted tank my 55 was supposed to look like that but I'm not really happy with it
Old 12-09-2012, 09:21 PM   #73
scbrooks87
Planted Member

Very nice look you got goin there Crob! I will be doing a similar scape in a sense. Thinking wood on one side, rocks on the other, but probably less than what you have. Hoping to let the plants fill in more of the rest, and by doing it in a mid-tech tank (medium lighting, no co2, but dosing excel+ferts if I can get away with it) I hope to see moderate growth rates, not so slow that I get bored, but not fast enough to where it becomes problematic for me.

Thanks for the pics!
-Scott
Old 12-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #74
Crob5965
Planted Member

Quote:
Very nice look you got goin there Crob! I will be doing a similar scape in a sense. Thinking wood on one side, rocks on the other, but probably less than what you have. Hoping to let the plants fill in more of the rest, and by doing it in a mid-tech tank (medium lighting, no co2, but dosing excel+ferts if I can get away with it) I hope to see moderate growth rates, not so slow that I get bored, but not fast enough to where it becomes problematic for me.

Thanks for the pics!
-Scott
yeah the growth rate in this tank is a little slow but not too bad
the tank in the background is my Dirted tank and it's hard to keep up with it
Old 12-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #75
Crob5965
Planted Member

this isnt mine but it's the one I used to build mine from, hope it helps
in addition if you PM me your E-mail I can send you some plans for a sump
Attached Thumbnails