Simplest/easiest method for care of planted tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 12-09-2012, 03:13 AM   #1
plantastic37
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Simplest/easiest method for care of planted tank

Hello,

I have come into a bit of a wall. It seems I thought I was sure of some details but now I find that I am questioning myself on some details

So I have an Aqueon evolve 8 with a 3" bed of eco complete with flourish tabs. There is 8 narrow leaf java fern, 5 anubias nana petite, 1 anubias nana, 30 pygmy chain sword.

I am told the lighting is on the upper end of low light

I have flourish excell and regular flourish.

So I was referring to this article:

http://www.sudeepmandal.com/hobbies/...antageslowtech

It says that for this method you should not change the water unless the tank is densely planted. Then 25%. Not so sure I would consider my tank densely planted.

I guess what I am after is an easy way to maintain this tank. I just don't want to overdose on anything and get nasty algae outbreaks.

The tank has inhabitants. There are 5 neon blue rasboras, 1 zebra otto, 2 sparkling gouramis.
plantastic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
DaveK
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

What I don't understand about the article is that they are recommending no water changes for certain types of planted tanks, and yet are dousing ferts. I'd think that at some point you'd get a build up and algae.

If you have hard water, you'd also get the mineral buildup as you replaced water lost by evaporation.

I'm not a fanatic about water changes, but I'd make a partial water change at least every month or two.

As for the CO2 levels, I would think they would get back to where they were in a day or so.
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Easy Aquatic Plant Care

Hello plant...

Here's what I do for my low tech tanks, these may work for you. Plants need water, light and food. So, you keep the water very pure. I change out half the tank water every week. This keeps up the levels of phosphates, nitrates and sulfates. These are good for the plants.

If you keep low light plants, T8 and T12 bulbs, 6500K are best. You don't need CO2 or anything fancy. Research your plants' lighting needs. Low light plants will do fine with a 32 or 40 watt bulb.

Nutrients are needed, but if you have a tank with quite a few fish, then you don't don't need extra ferts. Just feed the fish a good diet. I add a little liquid a couple of times a week. FloraPride is a good fert.

Attached is pic of a basic, low tech tank. I like to pot my plants, but that's my preference.

Just a couple of thoughts.

B

Last edited by BBradbury; 05-01-2013 at 07:56 PM..
BBradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (426/100%)

The plants you have don't really need Excel and should be fine with just root tabs.

While changing 50% of your tank water every week is not necessary, it could be a good idea to change 10-20% of it every week. Especially since you have fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantastic37 View Post
Hello,

I have come into a bit of a wall. It seems I thought I was sure of some details but now I find that I am questioning myself on some details

So I have an Aqueon evolve 8 with a 3" bed of eco complete with flourish tabs. There is 8 narrow leaf java fern, 5 anubias nana petite, 1 anubias nana, 30 pygmy chain sword.

I am told the lighting is on the upper end of low light

I have flourish excell and regular flourish.

So I was referring to this article:

http://www.sudeepmandal.com/hobbies/...antageslowtech

It says that for this method you should not change the water unless the tank is densely planted. Then 25%. Not so sure I would consider my tank densely planted.

I guess what I am after is an easy way to maintain this tank. I just don't want to overdose on anything and get nasty algae outbreaks.

The tank has inhabitants. There are 5 neon blue rasboras, 1 zebra otto, 2 sparkling gouramis.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:33 AM   #5
J.mccollum
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

I've have a same tank with eco-complete. I think your right with the light kinda a med level. though I have high light and co2 on it now.
I consider my tank dense and almost a jungle sometimes. I change about 1 gallon a week or so and use dry ferts I had made to my tank from a member here. I only have cherry red and crystal red/blacks int the tank now all seem to go well.
I have had a few algae out breaks but it was just a matter of me getting everything in balance and every time I change something or try something new I tend to get the algae back

sorry for the washed out pic .... iphone B^!

Last edited by J.mccollum; 12-10-2012 at 12:34 AM.. Reason: spelling
J.mccollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:12 AM   #6
STS_1OO
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Unless you're going with the Walstad method with high plant bio-mass and low-fauna mass as well as next to no fertilizing, then you don't need water changes.

In all other cases, it's good to have (shrimp tanks aside perhaps). Change out 20% and if you follow a heavy fert regime (which is doubtful considering your low light range), then move to 50%.

Water changes don't hurt nobody.

You're not going anything wrong and this isn't some single point of failure issue. You'll be fine!
STS_1OO is offline   Reply With Quote