ADA New Amazonia?? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 12-08-2012, 11:42 PM   #16
jczernia
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)

So from all of this I learned that I need to let the tank cycle forever and my pH will be in the 6-6.5 range. I donít have good tap water and all I can get is r/o or distilled water. Why canít we get good substrate for shrimp in this country? My wife wonít let me have the temporary holding tank for more than 2months b/c it is sitting on the counter top in the kitchen. So I hope the tank will be ready on day 60.
Plamski, How long do you wait till you put shrimp in Amazonia?
Thank you.
jczernia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 01:54 AM   #17
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

I know you're not asking me but i introduced my shrimp after 6 weeks or so.
BTW I lowered my TDS recently because 250+ was too high. My tank is now at 160TDS and about 4dGH. I'm hoping i can get it to 5dGH somehow..
Old 12-09-2012, 02:32 AM   #18
jczernia
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)

Newman, did you lose any CRS I know you have some SSS. What do you use to remineralize you water?? Try Shirakura CA+ liquid minerals I get gH 6 and TDS 150-155.
Just donít know what happened when I filled Amazonia everything went nuts. My gH went down TDS went up
jczernia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #19
plamski
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)

Amazonia has a lot of plant nutritions probably that why TDS is up.
It will be OK lather on. I always have GH 5 and more with TDS 150.
plamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #20
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jczernia View Post
So from all of this I learned that I need to let the tank cycle forever and my pH will be in the 6-6.5 range. I donít have good tap water and all I can get is r/o or distilled water. Why canít we get good substrate for shrimp in this country? My wife wonít let me have the temporary holding tank for more than 2months b/c it is sitting on the counter top in the kitchen. So I hope the tank will be ready on day 60.
Plamski, How long do you wait till you put shrimp in Amazonia?
Thank you.
I feel you for sure. I am using new amazonia too and it is nice and all but I hope that next time I do a tank I can buy BW, Benibachi or Shirakura soil. I really hope they become available soon because they sound great.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:08 PM   #21
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jczernia View Post
Newman, did you lose any CRS I know you have some SSS. What do you use to remineralize you water?? Try Shirakura CA+ liquid minerals I get gH 6 and TDS 150-155.
Just don’t know what happened when I filled Amazonia everything went nuts. My gH went down TDS went up
I did lose 2 CRSs when i started to mess around the substrate in planting my plants. Never do this. kicks up too much garbage from the deep substrate and i guess the SSS are sensitive to the ammonia, sulfur, or w/e else is toxic to them. I lost one shrimp every time i disturbed the substrate. each time it happened on the day following the planting(one shrimp was lost). Disturbing the substrate is very dangerous. I'm not planting anything anymore luckily, so i shouldn't lose anyone anymore.

My current TDS is 171ppm and i still have to check my GH. probably 5dGH.
I use Mosura Mineral plus to remineralize. once i run out of it i'm going to try something else, like what you suggested.