Jake's DBP 10gal For Cories & Shrimp - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #46
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe
 
somewhatshocked's Avatar
 
PTrader: (430/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 11,442
Default

Thanks!

I'm not quite happy with it but the other half seems to think it's great. So I won't have to fiddle with it much.

Crypts have always been a favorite of mine because they're so low maintenance. I have too many fast-growing plants in my other tanks and figured Crypts would be the way to go for this one - along with mosses.

Think I'm going to have to remove some of the Wendtii in the very back, as I planted it too thickly.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #47
MABJ
Invert Warrior
 
MABJ's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 3,883
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Thanks!

I'm not quite happy with it but the other half seems to think it's great. So I won't have to fiddle with it much.

Crypts have always been a favorite of mine because they're so low maintenance. I have too many fast-growing plants in my other tanks and figured Crypts would be the way to go for this one - along with mosses.

Think I'm going to have to remove some of the Wendtii in the very back, as I planted it too thickly.
It really will look better when stuff fills in. But if she likes it, then you're golden. It'll be nice always being able to see your inhabitants anyways. So many of our scapes have so many places to hide.


MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p
__________________
|Mossy Bonsai|Almost ADA|DBP Loonnng|CRS Spec|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|Essential tools|List of inverts|Sage advice|Truth About Snails|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #48
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe
 
somewhatshocked's Avatar
 
PTrader: (430/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 11,442
Default

It's rough cell phone picture update time.

Snails have cleaned off most of the dead crypt algae, only bits and pieces of it remaining on about three leaves:



The Christmas Moss is growing in nicely:



I'll soon add some fissidens and such at the base of the two wood sections so there's more play room for shrimp.

The baby crypts I received from Gordon are growing up super-fast:



C. parva is coming along, beginning to grow closer to the substrate:



The wendtii in the back is growing, too, and I still need to thin it out while it's young:



Can't remember what these crypts are but they seem to be coming along nicely:

somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #49
xjasminex
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
xjasminex's Avatar
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: new york
Posts: 954
Default

Why thin the crypts?
xjasminex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #50
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe
 
somewhatshocked's Avatar
 
PTrader: (430/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 11,442
Default

Because there are waaaay too many. So many, in fact, that they'll still be crowded once I thin them and they grow up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjasminex View Post
Why thin the crypts?
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #51
xjasminex
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
xjasminex's Avatar
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: new york
Posts: 954
Default

Ok, just curious, I love crypts and can't imagine getting rid of them =]
xjasminex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #52
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe
 
somewhatshocked's Avatar
 
PTrader: (430/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 11,442
Default

Won't be getting rid of them. Just moving some to other tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjasminex View Post
Ok, just curious, I love crypts and can't imagine getting rid of them =]
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:18 AM   #53
thebuddha
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
thebuddha's Avatar
 
PTrader: (25/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 617
Default

Could you share some info about your DIY spraybar?
Like, what kind of tubing is it? and what did you use to cap the end?
How many holes, and what size drill bit?


I am really interested in building my own


Edit: just read that it is made out of rigid tubing, is this something I can find at menards/lowes/homedepot? and do you know if it comes in any color other than clear?

Last edited by thebuddha; 12-09-2012 at 01:38 AM.. Reason: because.
thebuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:06 AM   #54
LyzzaRyzz
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
LyzzaRyzz's Avatar
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 465
Default

Probably a silly question, but can you make a spray bar with a HOB filter?
__________________
50g, 45g, 15g, 10g, 2x2.5g, 2g bowl

LyzzaRyzz's Tanks and More! - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=226122
LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:07 AM   #55
Sd760
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Sd760's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/50%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Humboldt co.
Posts: 500
Default

Looks great.
Sd760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #56
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe
 
somewhatshocked's Avatar
 
PTrader: (430/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 11,442
Default

There may be more detail about the spray bar in my 12gal journal.

It's rigid tubing. Its OD is the same size as the ID of the tubing I'm using. You can buy rigid tubing from most fish shops/pet stores and online.

Just a plastic cap that fits over tubing.

Holes are less than an inch apart, some going slightly up to agitate the surface, some going slightly down for water flow. The amount of holes, distance, size, etc really depends upon the filter you're using and how much flow you need. For me, I just did a trial and error thing with the filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebuddha View Post
Could you share some info about your DIY spraybar?
Like, what kind of tubing is it? and what did you use to cap the end?
How many holes, and what size drill bit?


I am really interested in building my own


Edit: just read that it is made out of rigid tubing, is this something I can find at menards/lowes/homedepot? and do you know if it comes in any color other than clear?
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #57
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe
 
somewhatshocked's Avatar
 
PTrader: (430/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 11,442
Default

Not sure how that would work.

You'd need to have an output pipe or tube from a canister or powerhead in order to use a spraybar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyzzaRyzz View Post
Probably a silly question, but can you make a spray bar with a HOB filter?
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:35 PM   #58
thebuddha
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
thebuddha's Avatar
 
PTrader: (25/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 617
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
There may be more detail about the spray bar in my 12gal journal.

It's rigid tubing. Its OD is the same size as the ID of the tubing I'm using. You can buy rigid tubing from most fish shops/pet stores and online.

Just a plastic cap that fits over tubing.

Holes are less than an inch apart, some going slightly up to agitate the surface, some going slightly down for water flow. The amount of holes, distance, size, etc really depends upon the filter you're using and how much flow you need. For me, I just did a trial and error thing with the filter.
Okay, Ill take a look at your 12g journal.
I have an eheim 2213 as well, so i was gonna piggy back off of your findings
thebuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #59
CAM6467
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
CAM6467's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alvarado, Texas
Posts: 592
Default

I love your tank. I have several of the same plants that you're growing, and it's encouraging to see how healthy they are in your setup! What is the make-up of your substrate? I'm too lazy to go back and find it!

Charlie
__________________
"Success is not the goal, it's merely a byproduct!"
- The Fraternity of Dirt #66 -
Just because it's dirt doesn't make it low-tech.
CAM6467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:05 AM   #60
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe
 
somewhatshocked's Avatar
 
PTrader: (430/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 11,442
Default

My rule of thumb is start small with the holes. Test things out. Need to change things up? Make the holes bigger. You could easily make the spray bar, cap it and test it a few times in under five minutes.

Also buy 2-3 lengths of rigid tubing so you have some practice material. The stuff is thin and light weight so it's easy to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebuddha View Post
Okay, Ill take a look at your 12g journal.
I have an eheim 2213 as well, so i was gonna piggy back off of your findings
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012