Chemi-Pure? Carbon? Nothing? - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 12-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #31
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldvalente View Post
Good point here, we all should know here the quality of our tank is greater than the sum of its parts. It is the combination of everything we add to the eco system.

No single one thing is going to be the silver bullet for anything.

Actually, in one case it was the silver bullet. I had a tank that got no algae through the entire live of it except green water. I attribute this to it being by a window. I had a portable UV for awhile. Then I tried Purigen, thinking it wouldn't do anything. It got rid of the green water really fast. I never got green water again but sometimes I would notice that it had green spots.

That is an odd thing though. I have never had a tank that balanced get green water.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #32
ronaldvalente
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Interesting, good to know!
ronaldvalente is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 01:14 AM   #33
fplata
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
It bothers me that folks rely on additional chemicals to maintain a healthy planted tank. There's no reason to use chemical filtration in a healthy planted tank - ever ! That's anathema to the goal of a planted tank with is to bring a bit of nature indoors. My suggestion for you is to do some remedial reading on the processes taking place in planted aquarium. Remember you don't have a fish tank, you have a planted tank.
With all due respect, I would assume that Amano knows what he is talking
about when it comes to planted tanks. he recommends the use of carbon on the initial stages of the life of the tank, 1 to 3 months, and on some of his tanks he runs carbon perpetually. And I personally have shrimp tanks that are planted. It comes down to preference, I love purigen and will continue to use it, if its just biological filtration, or no filtration that works for you that is great, but no remedial reading is needed by one here, it's just a different school of throught.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fplata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.