My bedside 10 Gal. =]
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-24-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
LyzzaRyzz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

My bedside 10 Gal. =]

One of two of my fully planted tanks, it started out as a 5.5, though the lighting drove me crazy, so i finally said screw it! And upgraded to a ten gallon i had laying around.
But first, heres it when i first set it up.
Attachment 57659
The first plant is a sword plant, i believe, havent been able to nail that one down. The second is another i havent been able to get the name of. The bulb is red, and looks like leather, but is hard. Grows SLOW. The third is a melon plant, of which i have four other plants now, from that one! The fourth, is hedge. Its not really aquatic, but i found that out after, and then returned it..but kept a peice, and there it is. Its actually still in my bathroom tank, just now starting to lose leaves. Ive got to figure out how to plant it emersed!

Anyways, I ended up thinking adding anacharis in front was a good idea.
Attachment 57660

Nope. So then i rescaped, and tried for a grow out tank for my 50 gallon. I didnt like that very much...
Attachment 57661

I then got some wisteria, which im sad to say, has continued failin since day one. They are now sad little 2.5 inch tall sticks with poofs on the end. This was the tank after i added them.
Attachment 57662

I still didnt like it...

So i decided i need some hard scape, and took a fake log onament from my 50 gal, and used it in the tank...I also got new plants, an aponogeton plant which i ended up getting three different plants from, and a banana plant. Finally, i was starting to like this! =]
Attachment 57663

The aponogeton plant is amazing..i believe its the undulatus variety. it grew from the above picture to this! in one week!
Attachment 57669

This is when the lighting situation aggravated me to upgrade. I had a ten gallon hood, and that's what i was using on the 5.5, and it didn't fit right, so i had contraptions and fire hazards..next to my bed. So, the tank was now a ten gallon, and i got a new table at a yard sale too! Perfect little set up. Ill have to remember to get a picture. =]
Attachment 57664

And then i added a background, which is actually just a wooden american flag, but, i feel it works for now. I kinda like it.
Attachment 57665

I added cories to the tank, and they tend to need more oxygen in their water, so i added a air stone. Which looked horrible. So i tried hiding it, and it just didnt work. It was an eye sore.
Then i got it! The log was hollow, why not prop it up and have the bobble come out of the top? My first couple of tries with the air hose cooperating failed, but ive gotten a fix on it now. =]
Also, added some more plants, tops cut from my 50 gal, and the spiral vals from the 50. Add a rescape, and the tank seems to be coming around!
Attachment 57666

Ended up moving the Banana plant to the end of the log, as that was where i threaded the air hose, and the banana tubers were perfect for covering that up.
Attachment 57667

I bought a new driftwood from my LfS, which has a large java fern on it, and rescaped, making a bigger cave under the fake log. I added Anubis i had gotten in a plant order, will watch for algae. I also added cholla wood id gotten from an order, with small java fern tied to it. I also got three more corkscrew vals from ly lps, and put them between the log and the large rock.

This is what my tank looks like today, after my rescape.
Attachment 57668

Ill be updating as often as things change and grow..=]

I also take funny pictures of my snails...Thats the mommy and a four month old apple snail..=]
Attachment 57670

LyzzaRyzz's Tanks and More! - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=226122

Last edited by LyzzaRyzz; 01-26-2013 at 07:34 PM..
LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 07:45 AM   #2
LyzzaRyzz
Planted Tank Obsessed

Oops! This is a video of the tank tonight. =]

http://youtu.be/gBO2Ic2hiMI

LyzzaRyzz's Tanks and More! - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=226122
Old 11-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #3
sayurasem
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)

The beauty of bedside tanks... you fall asleep while looking at your tank

but realized in the morning left the light on the whole night
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Nice tank

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
LyzzaRyzz
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hah! I do that all the time! I've started doing the light cycle at night instead of daytime..there's another tank that's light is on during the day so the tank is t completely dark all day..

Old 11-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
Sd760
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/50%)

Random. Love your tanks but is there anyone on here I can buy apple snails from? Loooooove them miss haveing a monster snail. Love the pics an dif stages of your tank.
Sd760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #7
LyzzaRyzz
Planted Tank Obsessed

Actually, I happen to have some babies and juvies! The juvies are four months, and about a cm-1.5 cm and growing fast. They are all blue shells, dark bodies with nice orange markings. I only have seven of these, though, they were from my first batch.
The babies seem to all be darker, whether they are brown or blue it's too early to tell. Their about two-three weeks old, and I have 57 of these guys!

Thanks for the compliments! I am so much happier with the tank now. Just gotta get new bulbs..tanks too yellow for me!

Old 11-30-2012, 05:54 AM   #8
LyzzaRyzz
Planted Tank Obsessed

So, an update on the tank, =]:
Attachment 57986

And I was in petsmart, and saw they had Ivory Mystery snails!!!
I nabbed one, [along with a nice turquoise male gup, and a yellow and red male]
And have since moved my brown striped female mystery snail into the big tank with all the males, and decided to test whether my new snail was male or female. I know which of my snails are male and females, though putting two and two together, and see who ended up on top, or who ignored each other. My male immediately climbed on her shell, so im assuming shes a female. Which is just fine with me! Id like to get a male though, ivories are so pretty!!
Attachment 57985

Speaking of snails, Sd760, i have another egg sack! Still have all the babies. PM if your interested. =]

Last edited by LyzzaRyzz; 01-26-2013 at 07:34 PM..
Old 11-30-2012, 05:55 AM   #9
LyzzaRyzz
Planted Tank Obsessed

please dontmind my horrible lighting. That really is an ivory snail, just horrible yellow lighting and itouch pictures..ill try to get another light on it for a picture!

Old 12-06-2012, 05:59 AM   #10
LyzzaRyzz
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Actual good pictures, taken with my moms camera!

So, excitedly, i give you the FTS with my moms camera!
Click image for larger version

Name:	fts 10 gal moms cam.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	58366

Looks so good!
Still gonna change the lights, just havent had time.

One of the male juvies in the ten gallon has developed some awesome markings. Im not sure whose offspring he is, just that he is beautiful!

Name:	leopard male 1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	58367

Name:	Leopard male 2.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	58368

Name:	leopard male 3.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	58369

And theres another really pretty male too, but he is harder to get than leopard spots over there! Hey at least i got a good shot of my watersprites roots!
Attachment 58370

There have been zucchini parties going on too!
Attachment 58371
Attachment 58372
[[That face!!!]]

Because this is what they do to cucumber!
Attachment 58373

Oh wait...
Whats over there?

Is it...and ivory snail? Here Ivory Snail, come play!
Attachment 58374

Here she comes!
Attachment 58375

Attachment 58376

Attachment 58377

Shes here! And Ivory Snail actually looks Ivory!

Attachment 58378

And shes gone again...LOL.

Attachment 58379

But you know who isnt gone, and is always begging for attention? How could you say no to that?!
Attachment 58380

Last edited by LyzzaRyzz; 01-26-2013 at 07:31 PM..
Old 12-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #11
Perchance
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ah, just gorgeous! The fish are too cute. Fantastic markings. ANd I love the scape, what are the floating plants?
Perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #12
LyzzaRyzz
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks, Perchance! I'll actually be upgrading to a 15 gal, so the Bacall will change a bit, but not much. Also have a few plant orders coming in a well.
I have a mishmash of floaters, water sprite, amazon frogbit, duckweed, and my favorite, hygroryza aristata! I love the look of the roots, and so do the fish!
The floaters help me so much, taking up excess ammonia and nitrate, shading my other plants, because Im guilty of have horrible lighting schedule for this tank. I always forget to turn it off before I go to sleep, and end up turning it off when I get up at three am, it's off till I wake up, and one for a few hours before I go to work, then it's off til I come back. It's a bad schedule, but it works! The plants are thriving, I don't have algea [knock on wood!]...it's by far my favorite tank!!

Old 12-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #13
marioman72
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyzzaRyzz View Post
Thanks, Perchance! I'll actually be upgrading to a 15 gal, so the Bacall will change a bit, but not much. Also have a few plant orders coming in a well.
I have a mishmash of floaters, water sprite, amazon frogbit, duckweed, and my favorite, hygroryza aristata! I love the look of the roots, and so do the fish!
The floaters help me so much, taking up excess ammonia and nitrate, shading my other plants, because Im guilty of have horrible lighting schedule for this tank. I always forget to turn it off before I go to sleep, and end up turning it off when I get up at three am, it's off till I wake up, and one for a few hours before I go to work, then it's off til I come back. It's a bad schedule, but it works! The plants are thriving, I don't have algea [knock on wood!]...it's by far my favorite tank!!
you should get a timer, helps the schedule thing quite a bit haha! and would u like some E. tenellus? i have a couple extra nodes from my 20g that i need to get rid of. stuff takes off once it take root.
marioman72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #14
LyzzaRyzz
Planted Tank Obsessed

That would be nice! But, some days I work opposite shifts, some even til three am, and I like to turn it off when I'm working an on when I'm home. I make sure to give the tank at least five hour darkness though. So it's basically like running two light cycles a day? I dunno. The tank is thriving, so I don't think it minds!

I should be getting soil of some kind, hopefully a cheap miricle grow organic, but my petsmart has floramax and flourite, dot know which on to choose, and when I get the tank all upgraded to the 15 gallon, I'll pm you about some E. tenellus!! Thanks !