API Algaefix... - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 12-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #16
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

I just started using algae fix for the first time as I have this string algae that is seems to love the same conditions as the plants so it only struggles when my plants struggle. So far it isn't working well for this type of algae, but did get rid of the small amount I had on the glass and driftwood so I know it's doing something.

However, to my surprise, my plants didn't even flinch. I knew it was plant safe but I thought it would have some effect. They are just growing as they used to, still getting great growth and color, so not seeing any side effects there. Snails are dying but that's fine by me. Fish is not acting/looking any different.

Just saying, I had my concerns as well and now I am confident that this stuff is safe for plants and fish.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #17
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
I just started using algae fix for the first time as I have this string algae that is seems to love the same conditions as the plants so it only struggles when my plants struggle. So far it isn't working well for this type of algae, but did get rid of the small amount I had on the glass and driftwood so I know it's doing something.

However, to my surprise, my plants didn't even flinch. I knew it was plant safe but I thought it would have some effect. They are just growing as they used to, still getting great growth and color, so not seeing any side effects there. Snails are dying but that's fine by me. Fish is not acting/looking any different.

Just saying, I had my concerns as well and now I am confident that this stuff is safe for plants and fish.
I was sort of sure it would be safe on my plants and fish but the thing i was most worried about is that it would kill my snails, it was a pain to find Trumpet snails in my area so i had to get them from someone on the forums. I would rather NOT kill those, glad to see i was smart by not adding any until i had some good info, thanks for trying it out

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #18
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADJAquariums View Post
I was sort of sure it would be safe on my plants and fish but the thing i was most worried about is that it would kill my snails, it was a pain to find Trumpet snails in my area so i had to get them from someone on the forums. I would rather NOT kill those, glad to see i was smart by not adding any until i had some good info, thanks for trying it out
If u kill ur trumpet snails, my lfs has stock that even bleach doesn't kill so i can ship some ur way nooo problem
Old 12-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #19
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
If u kill ur trumpet snails, my lfs has stock that even bleach doesn't kill so i can ship some ur way nooo problem
Im going to try the way that i stated in an earlyer post first before i resort to killing all my snails, if it comes down to that you might be getting a message asking for some

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:29 PM   #20
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)

After 3-4 days, is the medication still present in the tank?

Are water changes advised after treatment?
jkan0228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:14 AM   #21
fplata
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

Yes water changes are required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fplata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #22
RyUGuy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
I know ottos cant help green water but im getting a good deal of algea on the glass closest to the window, ill give it a shot, i dont have shrimp so i think ill be ok, my biggest fear is it will kill my snails
In my first tank I used this stuff and had some pond snails, after I used it I never saw a single snail again so I am pretty positive this killed them.
RyUGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #23
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

didnt kill my ramshorns
Old 12-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #24
Bryanmc1988
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)

people say otos wont eat GSA and thats true i had a few otos and they do nothing about the GSA BUTTTTT not all hope is gone... nerite snails will eat the GSA i would get a few of them i have about 6-8 nerite snails in my 40B and they clean the GSA off like it was a mud on a Ferrari, SPOTLESS get some nerite snails man... they dont breed in fresh water but heard they do lay eggs all over the place but i have 6-8 of them and had them for about 4 months now and no 1 egg was seen... so ether they dont like laying eggs or i am one lucky son of a gun and have all males but i doubt that as i have seen some crawling over the other ones in the past but still no eggs
Bryanmc1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #25
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (257/100%)

If it could kill MTS and pond snails, I'd use it and buy stock in API.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #26
ChadRamsey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)

Quote:

if, whatever you decide to do, you kill off all your MTS, i will send you a bunch to replace them.

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
ChadRamsey is offline   Reply With Quote