seeding biomedia
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 12-08-2012, 01:29 AM   #1
inthepacific
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

seeding biomedia

hey so i have a new tank set up and i want to seed the aquaclear biomax in my established tank. how long should i leave the biomedia in the tank/ filter for to get enough BB on it for my new tank. the new tank has ADA amazonia in it
inthepacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (428/100%)

A week or two at least.

Would probably be easier if you could just permanently move a small bit of media to the new setup and leave it. Less headaches that way.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
ltWould probably be easier if you could just permanently move a small bit of media to the new setup and leave it
+1

I always take half of a filter pad, cut it and stick it in a new filter.

Never failed for an instant cycle. Just wait before introducing wildlife. When you see Copepods, nematodes, snails. Then you probably can do it.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Here are 4 ideas. The one at the bottom is the best, this is the way I do it.

If you can swap media, do it. The established tank can share up to 25% of the media in the filter, and not have problems with any mini-cycle. This may be roughly 1/8 of the bacteria in the system.

If you cannot share media, then put some of the new media in the established tank in a place with good water flow. No need to run the whole filter on the tank. I use a mesh bag for ceramic bio media, but you could also put a sponge in there, bacteria grow great on Aquaclear sponges.

If you want to run the new filter on the old tank, go for it. That is a lot of extra water movement, though.

With any of these 3 methods you only have a fixed amount of ammonia to grow bacteria. Whatever is being produced by the livestock in the established tank is all you have. You will not grow very much bacteria on the new filter media when there is already a filter that is handling all the waste just fine.

The best way to jump start the nitrogen cycle:
Put the new media in a 5 gallon bucket and set up an air bubbler or fountain pump. Add some decor (stones, driftwood, whatever you can take easily) from the established tank. Used filter media would be the best. Then add ammonia to the water in the bucket to test 5 ppm. Run this exactly like the fishless cycle and the new media will grow tons of bacteria really fast. You will get a lot more, a lot faster than running the new filter on the established tank because you are providing more ammonia and no competition from plants or established filter.
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote