Can I grow emmersed HC in low temps?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru
 
talontsiawd's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 4,345
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Default

Can I grow emmersed HC in low temps?


I have an extra 20 long and an extra light that would be more than sufficient for growing out some HC. The problem is, the only place I have room for it is in my garage. In the winter, temps get down to low 30's. The garage is always a bit warmer than outside, I don't have a thermometer in there but it's far from warm. Just wondering if that would work. If not, I know many other plants that will work, I just will have a bunch of HC, assuming my tank does well but trimmings are never worth selling as they are way too short when I don't let it grow out much.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
Darkblade48
Moderator
 
Darkblade48's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 9,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
I have an extra 20 long and an extra light that would be more than sufficient for growing out some HC. The problem is, the only place I have room for it is in my garage. In the winter, temps get down to low 30's. The garage is always a bit warmer than outside, I don't have a thermometer in there but it's far from warm. Just wondering if that would work. If not, I know many other plants that will work, I just will have a bunch of HC, assuming my tank does well but trimmings are never worth selling as they are way too short when I don't let it grow out much.
I don't think you would be able to keep emersed HC in that cold of a temperature...

You have to remember, these are tropical plants...
__________________
Anthony

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 09:21 PM   #3
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru
 
talontsiawd's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 4,345
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
I don't think you would be able to keep emersed HC in that cold of a temperature...

You have to remember, these are tropical plants...
I was just wondering if anyone has successfully done it. I know I can get dwarf hair grass to grow year round, even totally outside. I actually had some a few years ago that stayed a live under frozen water. It's not low 30's all winter either, it may be 30 for a week then 50 another. That's the lows too, it's usually about 20-30 degree's warmer during the day, almost all day.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru
 
Seattle_Aquarist's Avatar
 
PTrader: (38/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,702
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
I have an extra 20 long and an extra light that would be more than sufficient for growing out some HC. The problem is, the only place I have room for it is in my garage. In the winter, temps get down to low 30's. The garage is always a bit warmer than outside, I don't have a thermometer in there but it's far from warm. Just wondering if that would work. If not, I know many other plants that will work, I just will have a bunch of HC, assuming my tank does well but trimmings are never worth selling as they are way too short when I don't let it grow out much.
Hi talontsiawd,

H.C. originates from Cuba which doesn't really get below 58 degrees F. That said I grow H.C. and several other species year 'round in my garage which can get down to 40 degrees or less. I use heat mats under my 'humidomes/peptents' that help to keep them warm in the winter and provide heat from below.



__________________
Roy
45 Gallon Tall; 96 Watt AH Supply CF; 6700K; & 30 Gallon Long; 2X36 Watt AH Supply CF; Press. CO2; UGF; Heat Treated Montmorillonite Clay
Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS)

Seattle_Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru
 
talontsiawd's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 4,345
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi talontsiawd,

H.C. originates from Cuba which doesn't really get below 58 degrees F. That said I grow H.C. and several other species year 'round in my garage which can get down to 40 degrees or less. I use heat mats under my 'humidomes/peptents' that help to keep them warm in the winter and provide heat from below.



I do have some heat mats, I just don't know how effective they will be as my stand is metal so it doesn't have more than the outside frame. In my experience indoors, assuming I am using a tank, keeping it under the tank doesn't do a whole lot. I could just use the tank/stand and put the HC into other containers though.

I image your weather is likely very similar to mine. I don't get the warmer winters like SF but I am in that area.

I just was mostly wondering if it was even worth trying. I have the tank setup, with water that was holding some plants and now is just going. I don't want to deal with it underwater so that's why I thought it was worth a try. I will likely just go for it, I am not buying plants just using clippings so if it doesn't work, I am only out the electricity to run the lights and a marginal amount of time.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 09:52 PM   #6
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru
 
Seattle_Aquarist's Avatar
 
PTrader: (38/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,702
Default

Hi talontsiawd,

If it were me a I put a sheet of plywood or styrofoam (or both) on the metal stand, then the heat mat, then the tank. That way most of the heat will go up into the tank. Those 20 watt heat mats put out a lot of heat.
__________________
Roy
45 Gallon Tall; 96 Watt AH Supply CF; 6700K; & 30 Gallon Long; 2X36 Watt AH Supply CF; Press. CO2; UGF; Heat Treated Montmorillonite Clay
Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS)

Seattle_Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #7
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru
 
talontsiawd's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 4,345
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi talontsiawd,

If it were me a I put a sheet of plywood or styrofoam (or both) on the metal stand, then the heat mat, then the tank. That way most of the heat will go up into the tank. Those 20 watt heat mats put out a lot of heat.
That is a great idea. Never would have thought about that.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012