Dual Stage Regulator for Australians!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 12-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
noxious_nasties

PTrader: (0/0%)

Dual Stage Regulator for Australians!

Hi everyone.

First off I'd like to thank everyone on this forum for making it quite easy to know what equipment is suitable for planted tanks and all the write up's everyone has done to make others understand.

Unfortunately for those living in Australia, everything is either hard to find or significantly overpriced.

I've been searching for parts locally and nothing compares to the US or even US [Ebay Link Removed]

So far my equipment list includes:
  • 2.6kg Aluminium CO2 cylinder - $164.99
    Ebay item # 261131428271
  • Burkert SS 2822 24V solenoid
    Ebay item # 150958633465
  • Parker 1/8" SS Metering / Needle valve model 2F-H3L-V-SS-T
    Ebay item # 130815344967
I'm still searching for the larger Atomic CO2 diffuser 65mm version. Is there much difference between the 45mm and 65mm in terms of benefits? I can't really see many other than the amount of bubbles it will release.

Anyway, onto the real problem. As you will notice from the list above, there is no regulator... The only ones I have found in Australia are single stage versions:
Alternatively I have found dual stage regulators from a company called Gascon and Comet (Victor).
Price wise the Gascon came in cheaper:

As you can see the price is so steep compared to the 50-$100 dual stage regulators you can get in the US. I've tried ebay Aus and there isn't even 1 dual stage on there...
So my alternative is to try and find an adapter that will change the US CGA320 or 580 inlet connection to suit and AS2473 CO2 Cylinder with Type 30 connection. So far I have found a " 22mm male type 30 to 21mm female CGA 320" ebay item # 271065626542. The problem here is that US CGA 320 Regulators have a female thread as well so I would need a male nipple adapter to connect the female CGA 320 regulator to the female CGA 320 (22mm) female thread on the adapter. The other male 21mm end I presume could them be fitted straight into the Australian CO2 Cylinder.
I've found female CGA 580 - Female CGA 320 adapters which could convert a CGA 580 Regulator to a female CGA 320 ebay item # 190689809018 (which will open up the American regulators I can utilise), but I'd still need a male CGA 320 type nipple. There is also CGA 580 - CGA 320 Male adapters but it's not of any use I don't think.

I've just thought that it may be possible to buy the Australian Type 30 inlet connection that goes on Australian regulators and attach it to an American style regulator. This would only be possible if the male thread is the same though. American regulators use 1/4" NPT fittings for the guages and inlet ports don't they? I haven't seen these around though so I don't know if I can get them on their own or if they would suit the female 1/4" NPT fittings the American Regulators use. As you can see I've really been struggling to find a nice dual regulator which is putting me down quite alot. I don't want to be spending $400 for one either.

Please help,
John
noxious_nasties is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

PTrader: (106/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxious_nasties View Post
As you can see the price is so steep compared to the 50-$100 dual stage regulators you can get in the US. I've tried ebay Aus and there isn't even 1 dual stage on there...
So my alternative is to try and find an adapter that will change the US CGA320 or 580 inlet connection to suit and AS2473 CO2 Cylinder with Type 30 connection.
You don't need an adapter. All you have to do is remove the whole cga-whatever and replace it with your type 30. You don't need a specific tank connection on the regulator you buy. I don't think I've ever actually bought a 'co2 regulator'. I take that back. I did get lucky once. (out of about 100 or so units)

If this doesn't make sense, pm me and I'll sort you out. There's actually ton of nice regulators on fleabay right now. Well... I guess that's relative, I guess that depends on your price range.
oldpunk78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

As oldpunk78 mentioned, the easiest thing to do is to take off the CGA fitting and replace with an Australian fitting.

The only thing to be careful of (as you are already aware) is to ensure that the Australian fitting can screw into the high pressure port of the regulator.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote