30B Build for West African Riparium Biotope Input Needed - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 12-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #31
lbacha
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

That does make sense but even small trickling streams turn into torrents of water during the rainy season and that is when the erosion takes place, if you are going for a meandering stream look then the smooth round stones won't be as natural because they would most likly be covete in silt an plants. Look up pics on jungle streams to see what I'm talking about, if you are going for the look of a major river like the Congo then big round rocks make sense.

Len

Len
lbacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #32
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I'm not sure I'm looking at the Congo, but from what I've read the Kribensis is native to the drainage area at the mouth of the Ethiop river in the Niger delta. From what I can find, it appears to be a pretty big river, but I don't find many images, since google searches bring up Ethiopia rivers instead. I'm more interested in the blackwater stream area than the brackish delta waters.

I have found this picture;
http://www.tfhmagazine.com/assets/013/26206_400wh.jpg
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #33
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)

For a blackwater West Africa representation you should get some of these...

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/barbus-hulstaerti/
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:52 AM   #34
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post

wow, a great read and a super cool tank fish if you can find it. Would add a great rarity and complexity to your build. Good luck and keep us posted. I'm all in with a pair of 2's !!
Learner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #35
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learner View Post
I'm all in with a pair of 2's !!
if we ever go fishing together, i definitely want to play poker as well.......lol

Devin, nice call., hey would make an awesome addition to this tank!
Fishies_in_Philly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #36
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post

Nice, thanks for the suggestion. Based on the reading, it looks like it would have to be a final addition after the tank has matured.

I made a rather interesting discovery over the weekend. After the discussion of water volume I had decided to drill the tank to add a sump and I had also decided I wanted to increase the tank size to a 40B. So over the weekend while doing our Christmas shipping in the larger community two hours to the north of us, I picked up a 40B at the not so local PetSmart. Hauled it into my classroom, and guess what? Yep, thats right, the tank I already had, which I thought was a 30B is actually a 40B! Not sure how I messed that one up, but out well. Maybe I'll use the second one as the sump.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #37
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wy Renegade View Post
Nice, thanks for the suggestion. Based on the reading, it looks like it would have to be a final addition after the tank has matured.

I made a rather interesting discovery over the weekend. After the discussion of water volume I had decided to drill the tank to add a sump and I had also decided I wanted to increase the tank size to a 40B. So over the weekend while doing our Christmas shipping in the larger community two hours to the north of us, I picked up a 40B at the not so local PetSmart. Hauled it into my classroom, and guess what? Yep, thats right, the tank I already had, which I thought was a 30B is actually a 40B! Not sure how I messed that one up, but out well. Maybe I'll use the second one as the sump.
There ya go! Lemons, lemonade. But ummmm......is there no one with a ruler in that school of yours? Lol
Old 12-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #38
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
There ya go! Lemons, lemonade. But ummmm......is there no one with a ruler in that school of yours? Lol
LOL, yes well, I guess that is what I get for believing what the sales tag said. Trust me, I had the ruler out on Sunday when I got to comparing the two tanks trying to figure out how one was a 30B and the other a 40B.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #39
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbacha View Post
The other issue with smooth rocks is they are hard to lock in place just ask anyone who uses them in their African ciclid tanks, they are a disaster waiting to happen as the fish dig

Len
For helping to hold the smooth rocks in place I used a 2 part putty type epoxy from fuvel. It is also used for building salt reefs, and for anchoring corals to the rock. Took a bit to figure out how to work with it, but it works great for holding the rocks. I used it for the rocks in my crayfish tank, as well to make the pool for my salamander. The only suggestion is to look for one that dries black.
schoolzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #40
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

I think it's depth. I can check when i get home. My crs tank is a 30b.

Btw.....did you receive the mosses?
Old 12-10-2012, 07:24 PM   #41
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
I think it's depth. I can check when i get home. My crs tank is a 30b.

Btw.....did you receive the mosses?
No, not yet . . . evidently the USPS is running a good bit slow already. Have your package and a couple of others I thought would be here Friday, Saturday at the latest, and still haven't seen any .
Old 12-10-2012, 08:23 PM   #42
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Wow.....they've been in that package a week now. I hope you find more than mush when you open them.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #43
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

*Sigh* yeah, you and me both. Sometimes I really hate our postal service.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:23 AM   #44
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

just another government agency doing the fine job we expect as taxpayers......LOL
Old 12-11-2012, 12:27 AM   #45
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolzoo View Post
For helping to hold the smooth rocks in place I used a 2 part putty type epoxy from fuvel. It is also used for building salt reefs, and for anchoring corals to the rock. Took a bit to figure out how to work with it, but it works great for holding the rocks. I used it for the rocks in my crayfish tank, as well to make the pool for my salamander. The only suggestion is to look for one that dries black.
the down side the that is the rock are permanent. which is fine if you are 100% set on hardscape, unfortunately, some of us never are....lol

i like to use permatex brand 2 part epoxies, ge silicone ii, and good old fashioned super glue to hold stuff together in my tanks and vivs. i have seen that stuff for corals and sort of dismissed it.

does it hold well? i mean, if i were to try to move something that was epoxied, does it take much force to break it free?