30B Build for West African Riparium Biotope Input Needed - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 11-26-2012, 06:13 PM   #16
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wy Renegade View Post
Oh no, the vent idea still stands, just redesigning the manifold a bit to be able to incorporate more of a natural pool look in the tank (at least that is what I am aiming for). A burl would be a great idea on that vent, unfortunately, that would mean another long trip to my not so local LFS.
Tom barr normally has some nice burls. Check with him or woodcraft.com. they normally have decent burls.
Fishies_in_Philly is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #17
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
Tom barr normally has some nice burls. Check with him or woodcraft.com. they normally have decent burls.
Thanks! I could spend a lot of time and $ on that second site, and not just on tank stuff LOL.
Wy Renegade is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #18
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

I know. I have....lol and if you think their webstore is cool. You should see their retail storezs. Kid in a candy shop stuff man......lol
Old 11-26-2012, 07:02 PM   #19
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sounds about right LOL! For Tom Barr is there another spot to check besides his forum? Unfortunately the forum is blocked from work.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:22 PM   #20
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Ummmm.....the barrreport.com or something to that effect.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:19 PM   #21
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (138/100%)

I did not dig around in the thread to try to figure out the species, but this looks like Anubias hastifolia or something similar growing just fine in an open-top tank. The leaves look good too and I don't see any brown tips or edges on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolley View Post
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 10:57 PM   #22
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

Cool picture! Thanks Devin.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:42 PM   #23
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

where are we at on this project Renegade? we need progress. i have no new builds going on, so i need to live vicariously through you guys for a while!!LOL
Old 12-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #24
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

Haven't progressed too far Bill, I actually decided to go ahead and drill the tank for an overflow to be hidden behind the waterfall piece, which will allow for more water volume via a sump. I ordered a bit ago, and they just arrived this week. I'm hoping to maybe get the drilling done on Sunday and then start moving forward with the build. Unfortunatelly, you all have put so many different options in my head, that I haven't fully decided which direction I'll be going just yet.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #25
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

You're gonna do a sump? Very very cool! And now you see the problem with the forum, so many ideas, it is so hard to decide what/how to do everything..... lol
Old 12-07-2012, 03:07 PM   #26
lbacha
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Just some thoughts on the piping you have I use to do the same thing in the mid 90's with my reef tanks to eliminate dead spots (man I wish the current technology in power heads was available then) the big issue is having a big enough pump to make the flow worthwhile, all those bends really kill flow and most water pumps are high flow at the output but die out quickly when any pressure is applied. I just wanted to give you a heads up on that because I would always go bigger than you think you need.

Another though is the rocks if you want them to stay bare then the really smith river rocks are a good idea if you want plant to easily grow in them I would go with something that has some texture. You can also mix the rocks so you have a smooth river rock peaking out of a clump of Anubias or fern. The other issue with smooth rocks is they are hard to lock in place just ask anyone who uses them in their African ciclid tanks, they are a disaster waiting to happen as the fish dig

I would also stick with only African plants, if you are going with a Biotope then half the fun is collecting the plants and animals because it isn't like there is an all African section at the store so you have to do research, my Borneo tank has been a blast to add plants to and I consider it a huge win when I find a new plant from their. Saying this I would stay clear of the Java fern a it is more Asian.

Len
lbacha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #27
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
You're gonna do a sump? Very very cool! And now you see the problem with the forum, so many ideas, it is so hard to decide what/how to do everything..... lol
Indeed, after seeing that stream-side paludarium, I'd like to add something like that with a stump and roots to the back of this tank as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbacha View Post
Just some thoughts on the piping you have I use to do the same thing in the mid 90's with my reef tanks to eliminate dead spots (man I wish the current technology in power heads was available then) the big issue is having a big enough pump to make the flow worthwhile, all those bends really kill flow and most water pumps are high flow at the output but die out quickly when any pressure is applied. I just wanted to give you a heads up on that because I would always go bigger than you think you need.
Thanks for the input Len, I was debating between a QuietOne 4000 and 6000, do you think the 4000 will be enough or should I go ahead with the 6000?

Quote:
Another though is the rocks if you want them to stay bare then the really smith river rocks are a good idea if you want plant to easily grow in them I would go with something that has some texture. You can also mix the rocks so you have a smooth river rock peaking out of a clump of Anubias or fern. The other issue with smooth rocks is they are hard to lock in place just ask anyone who uses them in their African ciclid tanks, they are a disaster waiting to happen as the fish dig.
Yeah, I never try to dry stack them very high, as they tend not to stay in place. I was planning to use GS pond foam to hold them on the waterfall and backwall, and beyond that wasn't planning on going to high. I'me considering more of a wall to create a pool effect near the waterfall, and hoping to be able to plant the plants in the substrate and have them grow over the rock. All my research has indicated that smooth rocks are what exists there, so trying to stick with the biotope.

Quote:
I would also stick with only African plants, if you are going with a Biotope then half the fun is collecting the plants and animals because it isn't like there is an all African section at the store so you have to do research, my Borneo tank has been a blast to add plants to and I consider it a huge win when I find a new plant from their. Saying this I would stay clear of the Java fern a it is more Asian.

Len
Dang! Thought I had researched that one, but I see you're right, guess I must have been going off what some of the internet articles were saying rather then actually looking. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:22 PM   #28
Algae Beater
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'm excited to see this tank progress!

I spent many years breeding West African dwarf cichlids. Any room for a crinum species in there? they make striking additions to such tanks.
Algae Beater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #29
lbacha
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I'm not sure on the pimps but if the larger pump will fit I would go with it, as for the rocks remember no rock starts smooth that is the result of wear from either glacial movement or water, really smooth hard rocks like the ones in the pics would be in really fast moving streams and rivers with well rooted plants, if you are going for a waterfall area there will be a lot of broken craggy type rock as the waterfall errodes the rock away. I hope this helps

Len
lbacha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #30
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algae Beater View Post
I'm excited to see this tank progress!

I spent many years breeding West African dwarf cichlids. Any room for a crinum species in there? they make striking additions to such tanks.
Thanks, its going to be a slow build, especially if I end up doing some of what I am considering. Thanks so much for the suggestion, I'll definitely have to add that plant to my list.

Quote:
I'm not sure on the pimps but if the larger pump will fit I would go with it, as for the rocks remember no rock starts smooth that is the result of wear from either glacial movement or water, really smooth hard rocks like the ones in the pics would be in really fast moving streams and rivers with well rooted plants, if you are going for a waterfall area there will be a lot of broken craggy type rock as the waterfall errodes the rock away. I hope this helps

Len
Since the pump will be in a sump, fitting it shouldn't be an issue. Guess I'll order a 6000 and then if its too much, I can always drop back down to the 4000 I have.

True enough on the waterfall, but I'm not sure that I'm seeing as a hard waterfall per say as much as more of the trickling in of a small stream, if that makes sense. Guess I need to research some more images.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.