Borneo Wild products - reviews? - Page 21
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 10-12-2012, 02:06 AM   #301
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Not trying to pick a fight. My point is that changes don't occur so abruptly no matter what we think. This doesn't mean conditions, parameters and such don't contribute to day-to-day appearance. But not feeding a specific food for a week doesn't alter the exoskeleton and body of a shrimp so much that it's that noticeable.

Feel free to share your log and specifics, though.
Stop feeding your shrimp for a week and see how quickly they change color due to stress. Same applies when shrimp are shipped for 2-3 days...they literally come out clear and lifeless when you take them out of the bag. Feed them anything and they quickly regain color over 2 days. So yes, a quick color change in shrimp is possible.

Saying that a food cannot change a shrimp's color is absolutely wrong. One of the ingredients in stout is Astaxanthin which increases the color of my fish overnight when I feed a pure form of it (the red powder). During my test all my parameters stayed the same except that I took Stout away. The color loss was definitely noticeable. Then I started to feed it again and the shells had a nice luster and deep color to them. I have no interest vested in BorneoWild so whether I praise them or not, I get nothing for it.

hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012, 02:21 AM   #302
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (426/100%)

For the second time, I'm not trying to pick a fight. But goodness.

Re-read what I said before twisting my words. I'll past them here for you: "My point is that changes don't occur so abruptly no matter what we think. This doesn't mean conditions, parameters and such don't contribute to day-to-day appearance. But not feeding a specific food for a week doesn't alter the exoskeleton and body of a shrimp so much that it's that noticeable."

I didn't say a quick color change isn't possible. I said the exact opposite. It's in there - the bit about conditions, parameters and such contributing to day-to-day appearance. Calm down.

Never said foods cannot change shrimp color. I said, again, changes don't occur so abruptly no matter what we think.

It's fair to really like a product and promote it. It's silly to get bent out of shape.

But go ahead. Please share your scientific research about how Stout changes your shrimp drastically over night. (Yes, I'm being facetious)

Head - desk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge_fund View Post
Stop feeding your shrimp for a week and see how quickly they change color due to stress. Same applies when shrimp are shipped for 2-3 days...they literally come out clear and lifeless when you take them out of the bag. Feed them anything and they quickly regain color over 2 days. So yes, a quick color change in shrimp is possible.

Saying that a food cannot change a shrimp's color is absolutely wrong. One of the ingredients in stout is Astaxanthin which increases the color of my fish overnight when I feed a pure form of it (the red powder). During my test all my parameters stayed the same except that I took Stout away. The color loss was definitely noticeable. Then I started to feed it again and the shells had a nice luster and deep color to them. I have no interest vested in BorneoWild so whether I praise them or not, I get nothing for it.

somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:30 AM   #303
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Just a note on Astaxanthin… It is a carotenoid. It can/does alter shrimp coloration. But not super-fast. It happens much less than abruptly.

I.E., you can feed Yellow Neos a ton of Astaxanthin and they'll eventually turn green/blue green. (Happens with spirulina overfeeding, as well) Takes more than a week, though. And it takes much more time than a week for the carotenoids to dissipate than a week.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:36 AM   #304
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

You should re-read my original post as well, I did not say that shrimp turn into some super color overnight. I pretty much said that shrimp look good but just "not as good" as if I were feeding them stout.

You also have a vested interest to knock down any other food out there since you sell your homemade stuff.

I'm not looking to argue here....just posting my review as the original thread was intended, hence the subject.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:42 AM   #305
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

First, I could do without your personal attacks and rude assumptions.

The stuff I sell contains the same ingredients. Why would I knock it? It works. But not so abruptly.

There's not a reason for personal attacks. That's beyond silly and offensive. I expect to be treated with the same respect that I give others, particularly because there are minors on this forum who deserve to read respectful discussions. So thanks for the personal attack, there.

But back to my point - presence of a particular supplement or lack thereof isn't so abruptly going to alter appearances.

I welcome your study specifics, so please share your documentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge_fund View Post
You should re-read my original post as well, I did not say that shrimp turn into some super color overnight. I pretty much said that shrimp look good but just "not as good" as if I were feeding them stout.

You also have a vested interest to knock down any other food out there since you sell your homemade stuff.

I'm not looking to argue here....just posting my review as the original thread was intended, hence the subject.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:38 AM   #306
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

*palm on forehead*
Old 12-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #307
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkestsky View Post
There is a free app available for iphone and android that can help you with dosing and setting up a weekly schedule.
Very cool! I just downloaded it.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:59 PM   #308
belphegor
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Hey guys, I want to try out Color, but does it actually colors up the shrimp and strengthen their shells? I really want my CRS to have fuller white shells so I'm wondering if BW White or Color is more sufficient.

Is it true that BW White can strengthen shells too? As good as Stout?

I'd appreciate any reviews!
belphegor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:44 AM   #309
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (98/100%)

I am not a big fan of their food, except frenzy. I have them all and they really ony eat that. Their additives and poweder products I do like. Stout, Sheild, Vital, even Vigor. I like minerax for setting up tanks with Calcium Mont and Momura BT-9. I use the Crimson in my pfr tank and used the white in my SS-SSS tank. I like both of those. I used the humic with little effect.

Baby food I like EI and BW Bebi.

Other additives I like Sosie and BIO PLUS
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:03 AM   #310
belphegor
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Does White work on increasing the whiteness of your CRS in your point of view? Does it work for you?
belphegor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:08 AM   #311
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (98/100%)

When younger I noticed it on older shrimp no so much

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:13 AM   #312
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by belphegor View Post
Does White work on increasing the whiteness of your CRS in your point of view? Does it work for you?
"White" is not a magic solution that you drop in the tank and all of the sudden your shrimp turn snow white. If you want white shrimp then first and foremost you need good genetics. Not sure where you got your shrimp but many people sell their culls so these might never get ideally white. Getting the white to come out is a combination of genetics, temperature, water parameters, food and even light. I use the white supplement but I also have everything else in check...I'd post it here but it's Saturday night and I'm getting ready to hit up the bars.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:23 AM   #313
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

for humic should I pour it on top of the substrate?
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:29 AM   #314
sayurasem
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
for humic should I pour it on top of the substrate?
you can put it anywhere. Filter on top substrate or under your substrate. I use it inside my tank just lay it in a cup.
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #315
jnaz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

My BKK's/pandas and OEBT's haven't been breeding so I bought some BW Dance. It came in the mail today and I immediately added some to the tanks. Lets see if it works.
jnaz is offline   Reply With Quote